“WOW Amazing”
Review of Eagle House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Eagle House
Ranked #225 of 775 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 February 2015

I came to Eagle house many years ago and decided to revisit Annette on my recent trip there. The place has been transformed into a little Gem. Annette explained she has now closed Eagle 2, which was the on other side of the moat and has brought (thank goodness) The Chilli Club, to Eagle 1. Mr Sutt has been running the Chilli Club for 17 years and he is an expert in Traditional Thia cooking. If you do his course, you wont regret it. The tours seem to be the same which are full of information refgarding the Hilltribe people and the trekkers speak very good English, all the tours are good .
with all the new renovations, The guest house seems to have opened up and is very clean with friendly and helpful staff most speak good English. Annette is always full of information and if she does't know she will find out for you. The cost is low budget and so it was good to be able to afford and enjoy.

P D

Room Tip: I like the room at the top of the stairs, near to the reception area
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Eagle House

Reviewed 8 February 2015

I went to Eagle House because of the reviews in Lonely Planet and came back again towards the end of my five week visit in Thailand. The rooms are clean, beds comfortable and showers warm. The staff very friendly and helpful and the food low cost and good. There is a large comfortable leafy area within the confines where you can sit and eat or have some beer and use the wifi. It is a great way to meet and hear about other travelers' journeys. I went on two tours she arranged. One to the Karen Hill Tribe with a guide named Date and one to an Elephant Conservatory where you can ride and wash the elephants, and then on to a wonderful park and waterfalls. The tours were small and not overly commercial and touristy. Date was a thorough book of knowledge on the Hill Tribes and an excellent speaker of English. I also rented a motor bike from CHAT bikes which the Eagle House recommended. This was a mistake. The bike came with hardly any gas, no helmet and in bad shape... plus no rear lights! Others in our group excursion rented from a Brit near the 7-11 and fared much better.
I am a fairly frazzled tourer of countries, quite new at it and never as prepared as I should be. So Annette was helpful in suggesting places to visit around town and how to get there.
The one thing I found difficult, and again due to poor planning on my part, is that the doors to the water and coffee were locked during the night and there was only a night watch man who could not speak English and could not access drinking water. This became a problem one night when I got ill ( stomach) and needed water to rehydrate. I had to walk into town and buy water and orange juice at 2::45 a.m. So be prepared and always keep extra water and toilet paper on hand. This was the one time I wished I had room service or someone on hand and awake who could speak English. Nevertheless, I would come back.

Room Tip: Second floor on the balcony is quieter and one can keep the window curtains open without losing priv...
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 January 2015

This is a really nice place to stay, with a range of rooms for different prices, but all of them low cost. We stayed for about ten days in the end. Annette, the owner, is really helpful and friendly, happy to chat and give advice, especially about good quality and ethical treks and tours to the surrounding ethnic villages, such as I'm Doi Inthanon. They also do trips around town to see local industries, or book river cruises for you. They don't take commission from it - they just want to encourage good quality tours and ethical tourism.
They do run their own cooking school however, the Chilli Club Cooking Academy, which is excellent.
They also serve nice food and have an attractive garden to sit in.

Room Tip: For the tiny increase in price the larger rooms are definitely worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2015

We stayed in eagle house no.1 for a couple nights and got a room with 3 beds for a total of 350 baht (less than 3€/4$ p.p.). the beds were ok, the bathroom clean, there was a fan but you didnt really need it in november/december. Nothing fancy but more than sufficiant for bagpackers.

The hostel itself is in a quiet spot close to the old city, everything is easy reachable.

The staff and especially annette was really nice and did help us with everything. They all speak english, annette is actually irish and also fluent in german and thai.

We are giving the guesthouse 4 stars for the food aswell, the pancakes are a dream, the smoothies are also good, often we couldnt decide if we should get thaifood for breakfast. You can refill your waterbottles so not to buy unnescesarry plastic. All the ingreedience are fresh and local (e.g. coffee)

We did do a very nice 2-day tour aswell and included the special places we wanted to visit (doi inthanon). Over night we slept in a local village. Later we enjoyed a nice day at cooking class. You get a realy nice cookbook which we already tried out back home.

Room Tip: All cheap rooms are on groundlevel. You will probably not need an AC.
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2014

Stayed here during Songkran. Basic enough rooms, aircon was optional if i recall. Good common area, staff were helpful. We booked a cooking course with them. Highly recommend doing it, the chef that taught us how to cook was very funny. He took us to the market to buy our ingredients. You get a cook book with all the popular Thai dishes. It gives you the measurements to cooking for 1 or 4 people. Probably not the easiest place to find if you're walking but the taxi drivers know where it is! Theres also a great restaurant around the corner

Highly recommended!