“Great chocolate cake!”

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed 1 March 2017 via mobile

I was feeling hungry mid afternoon and wanted something sweet. Came across all the good reviews here and since Melt Away was only a 10 min walk from where we were staying we ventured over.

We share a caramel chocolate cake and I had an iced Americano. We took home three cookies - chocolate chip, strawberry almond and vanilla shortbread.

The cake was amazing!! The right amount of chocolate and a thick ganache coating. The caramel part was a thin layer of caramel in between the two layers. It reminded me of a chocolate caramel Tim Tam. The coffee wasn't a strong as some other places in town, but they asked if I wanted sugar (vs just adding it) and brought a side of milk, which was nice.

The cookies were just okay. Of the three, the strawberry almond was my favourite. The shortbread my least favourite, maybe because I was expecting it to taste like the melt in your mouth shortbreads from home. All the cookies were flavourful but crunchy. Maybe better dipped in coffee or something.

Also on the higher end for CM prices, but overall great quality so worth it. They have a cute seating area out front so you can dine in, or they'll package up your treats to take away.

3  Thank LauraCP1

Reviewed 28 February 2017

My husband and I came across this place during our Honeymoon in Thailand. We were both just coming off of a terrible stomach bug and this was one of the first days I actually had an appetite. I was craving a grilled cheese so did a search online thinking it would be hard to find one in the area but luckily came across The Melt Away Bakery. We both had an amazing Grilled Cheese Sandwich on homemade bread. It came with a side salad that was quite tasty as well. Since I was sick during my Birthday, a few days before, I treated myself to a delicious piece of homemade Chocolate Cake. It was divine! We washed everything down with a few glasses of Ginger Lemonade. It was so refreshing and just what I needed. We were happy that we had the chance to meet Fon as she was a total darling. Her and her co-worker brought a table from outside inside for us as it was very hot out that day and she knew we were recovering from a bug and would feel better sitting in the air conditioned room. Very positive experience!

Reviewed 26 February 2017

If you are looking for a real treat in the way of a delicious dessert then make the trip to Melt Away. The cakes are simply the best and the cookies equally so. Either (or both) with a cup of coffee will turn any sort of day into a pleasure. Sit out in the courtyard and sip an espresso while eating a slice of chocolate caramel cake and you won't want the day to end.

1  Thank Nutmeg1979RR
Reviewed 26 February 2017

Nice to offer special treats to those who have to say no to so many tasty treats. The gluten-free cake was fresh and delicious. The cookies were thick and tasted like the ones I make when I'm at home.

2  Thank Wendy D
Reviewed 25 January 2017 via mobile

After reading the good reviews we decided to treat ourselves.

Just a short walk down from the old town South Gate.

We Walked in to see fresh cookies cooling in the window, and the owner pouring freshly made strawberry jam into jars. The smell was amazing!

We shared a slice of carrot cake, and it was Devine. A good size slice, moist and tasty. We would have had one each but we were going to a cooking school in a few hours and had been warned to go hungry.

I decided to get a pot of English breakfast tea ( turned out I got 4 cups out of it!). And my other half had a fresh mango and strawberry smoothy

Both were spot on!

The prices are at the top end for the area, but well worth it! If we had time we would go again :)

Large Pot of tea was 90 ( a large cup was 60), large slice carrot cake 95 and fresh smoothy 75