“BANNED!!! the elephant and monkey shows”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Island Safari

Island Safari
Ranked #214 of 240 things to do in Phuket
Type: Other
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“BANNED!!! the elephant and monkey shows”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2010

Me, my wife and three other friends have recently took Rafting Program C3 with your company which includes water rafting, atv, flying fox, fish spa, elephant trekking & show, as well as monkey show and to be honest I think the elephant show is a big big let down. We were shocked to find out that one of the elephant caretakers was trying very hard to get this innocent looking elephant to have its penis erected! Yes you heard me right, it;s erection! Who the heck in this world can do such a thing to animal? It's a very inhumane and uncivilized act to do and I thought Thai people will be the last one to treat the elephant in such a way but clearly I was wrong. For the sake of love, please treat the animal as equal as human being and I beg you (the management of island safari tour) to avoid torturing the elephants as well as the poor chained monkeys . Another thing I'd like to comment is that the charges for the photo taken from your company is a bit too pricey as compared to other places I've visited in all over Thailand. Since you don't allowed photo session in most of your places, I think it'll be fair to let the visitors the option to buy the photos at a reasonable price of 100THB instead of 300THB. Other than that, I quite enjoy the flying fox and water rafting activities.

9 Thank babusman

• Korean first
Thailand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2010

I went on this tour to Raya Island with my girlfriend this week and it was somewhat disappointing for the money paid (2,200Baht per person) . I have listed the reasons why here.
* The guide was always pushing to pay for extras such as;
* You have to rent fins (optional)
* You have to rent a deck chair once you arrive on Raya Island (optional) but needed as there is no shade and the sun is very hot.
* We did not go to Khon Khea Bay, which is supposed to be the better place to snorkel due to weather which was not very rough I suspect another reason such as they missed their slot.
* The guide's English was very bad and as a result nobody on the tour really knew what was happening (how much free time, when was lunch, where was lunch, how much time to snorkel, etc, etc)
*The boat needed repairs or something as the sea was flat and the boat was really rocking up and down really hard.
On the plus side Patok Bay was very nice and good for snorkelling, better than Siam bay.

3 Thank globalhippo
Issaquah, Washington
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Fun and entertaining experience - well worth it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2009

My wife and I did safari program E, which is the elephant tour. The price includes roundtrip transportation to and from your hotel. Tour begins with a lengthy elephant ride around the compound. We exhanged cameras with a Japanese couple, which proved to be an excellent way to get lots of great pictures. This is followed by a show in which 3 younger elephants perform for the group. I volunteered for one of the stunts and it was hiliarious! We also paid an optional 50 baht to feed them bananas.

2 Thank JD_Who
canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Adventure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2009

What a great place to go! My boyfriend and I did the 9in1 tour. We were picked up at our hotel right on time. There were only about 4 other couples on our tour with us. What an amazing adventure. From canoeing down a river and seeing monkeys out and about, to riding/feeding elephants. The baby elephant show was incredible -- be sure to volunteer! The cooking was great -- you even get a sample. After a few hours we were taken by private car to a beautiful outdoor restaurant, where each table had their own private hut. Very romantic, and the food was great.
It was an overall great time and our guides were very kind and spoke english well.

3 Thank jen6470
Pg
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“It's a rip-off!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2007

Don't go for it ! Besides abuse of animals,it's a waste of time. Time better spent soaking up the surf and sun. Started with the ox-cart ride which took only a couple of minutes to cover the short distance.Then on to elephant ride; there were clear open sores on the animals from the sharp spike the trainers use to control them.The monkey and elephant shows that followed just adds more abuse.

10 Thank PgHopper