“Quang makes this place the delight it is”

Terracotta Hotel & Resort
Ranked #14 of 90 Hotels in Da Lat
Reviewed 17 December 2017 via mobile

Such a lovely villa on a beautiful property over looking the lake. Really enjoyed staying here, besides the extra costs for literally everything you didn't already have (cutlery etc). We didn't find any staff that could speak English, besides Quang. Quang was our driver and helped us with anything we needed, always with a contagious smile on his face. He is an exceptional staff member and was honestly the best part of my stay in Da Lat. Thankyou Quang

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Casey B

Reviewed 9 December 2017

(1) Location :
About 35 mins by car from the airport. The resort charges 400,000 Dong per car for the airport transfer, for each trip. I booked the hotel car for my arrival - the driver was punctual and the ride was comfortable. On my return to the airport, I took a Mai Lin taxi (there’re always a few waiting outside the hotel) and the cost was only 250,000 Dong so I think you would be able to save some money taking a taxi for both ways.

I love the location of this resort! The resort is rather large and it is right beside the lake with lots of pine trees and beautiful flowers all around the main hotel buildings and expensive villas. There are pathways along the fringe of the lake with comfortable seats placed at various points for you to sit back, relax and just enjoy the wonderful scenery without being attacked by mosquitoes. Absolute bliss at whatever hour of the day!

(2) Room :
Spacious and well-kept. There are 2 buildings each (3 to 4 storeys), built on the left and right hand side of the reception building. Rooms face either the villas (built just beside the lake) or the open square (which is next to the restaurant). I personally prefer the villa-facing rooms (even number rooms) because the window view is more scenic (lots of pine trees and partial lake view seen from certain rooms on high floors). The odd number rooms are not as ideal because some face the restaurant which might be busy or there might be noisy events at the open square. If you can splurge, I think the villas would be ideal if you want the best view.

The Superior room which I stayed in offers excellent value for the price that I paid. All the usual amenities are provided : robes, slippers, umbrella, lots of towels, tea/coffee-making facilities, mini bar, bottled water, safe, large LED TV, toiletries, hairdryer etc. The bed is large and comfortable and the floor-to-ceiling window gives me a great view of the trees and flowers. I was not disturbed by any noise at all, even over the weekend. No air-conditioning in November but the temperature in the room was only about 18 to 25 degrees celsius so everything is perfect.

Service :
The service level is not amazing but good enough. Like in most other hotels, some staff are nicer and offer a more superior level of service than others.

The Spa is alright, the massage is not outstanding and the ambience is not fantastic but for the price I paid (360,000 Dong for a one-hour massage), I have no complaints. The bare indoor pool doesn’t look very inviting and probably needs to have its interior design enhanced to make it a more appealing place to hang around.

Breakfast can get chaotic during weekends when lots of domestic tourists stay over for family holidays. This is when you get to see just how many guests are staying at the resort with you. It gets so crowded that counters with an additional buffet-spread is set up outside the restaurant. Almost all tables and seats get taken up quickly during its busiest hours from 7.30 to 9 am. The food choice is adequate (a good mix of Western and Asian selections) and quality is fairly good overall.
I think Tuesdays to Thursdays are the quietest days.

There aren’t any restaurants within walking distance from the resort. There are some small shacks selling coffee and other beverages about 3 km away. The free hotel shuttle bus leaves at 9.30 am, 2.30 pm and 7.30 pm (drop-off/pick-up is at a bus-stop near Dalat Market) and returns at 11.30 am, 4.30 pm and 9.30 pm.

To conclude, I enjoyed my stay and think that this is definitely a good choice if you don’t intend to spend too much to enjoy nature at its finest!

Room Tip: Rooms with nos starting with 53XX and 63XX
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank TravellingApe
Reviewed 6 December 2017

I stayed here one week ago with my family- we booked in a 3 bedroom villa which was right be the lake.
My first impression was that this place was stunning- and we were amazed that the resort had received any negative reviews. After the hustle and bustle of Ho Chi Minh city, Terracotta resort in Da Lat couldn't be further from the pollution, noise and craziness of the city.
The grounds are tediously maintained and beautiful. You see something different everywhere you look, with little animal statues scattered in groups along the entirety of the grounds. In some areas you can even hear soothing piped music.
The villa itself was breathtaking, with fantastic views of the lake, well appointed king bed rooms and bathrooms which were spacious and inviting.
Well worth the money in respect to the quality of the rooms and the setting.
Buffet breakfasts were included and the selection was the largest I have ever seen. It truly was spectacular- with a massive dining room filled with different food stations- salads, hot Asian and European meals, a chef to prepare eggs, another to prepare pancakes, a desert station, as well as fresh breads and drinks.
Some of the foods were a little bland compared to what you would normally expect- but overall it was fantastic.
However- there were some massive downsides to the stay.
Although the resort boasts great services- none of them come without a price. You don't even get access to basic utensils, crockery or cutlery in the villas unless you pay extra.
There is a spa, sauna, pool, etc- but upon attempting to book in to use the services they were unavailable- particularly if you wanted to book in for a couple of people.
There are basketball and tennis courts, but you need to hire the equipment (something like 30,000 vnd/ hour) and the equipment is poorly maintained. Basketballs and bike tires were flat when they were hired out, but they don't have any pumps to re-inflate them, making it an unwise investment.
Although I would call this quite a Westernised resort in terms of services and set up (all written information is typed in both English and Vietnamese and nothing else), the staff have incredibly limited English skills- the exception being one of the drivers- Quang- who was excited to find out we had come from Australia and used every opportunity to practice his English skills on us- he really was a delight and the best thing about Terracotta resort. Some people make or break your stays- Quang definitely made our visit a happy one.

In short- positives=
* Great option of tours you can book through the resort and reasonably priced
* Beautiful, well appointed rooms
* Spectacular surroundings
* Fantastic breakfast buffet
* Quang

Negatives=
* You need to pay for literally anything extra
* Additional services are expensive and not maintained, if available at all
* Very limited English spoken by staff

Room Tip: Give a tip to Quang- whatever he earns it's less than he deserves ;)
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Bindi B
Reviewed 24 November 2017 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel as I though we would be able to do lake activities. However, i could not locate any activities that were close by to the hotel. We went to Prenn Waterfalls (nothing special) which costed us 240,000 dong in taxis. There is only one restaurant even though the hotel mentions two restaurants and a bar. In one of the nights we decided to stay at the hotel and take dinner. I would not expect that a four star hotel has a salad with canned tuna on the menu. We took a setmenu and all the plates came at the same time (even the fruit), in which we ended with the food getting cold. Prices are higher then a normal vietnamese restaurant, however it is expected in such a hotel. There were no activities or anything to do in the evening.

There are a gazilion different staff members in the reception and restaurant but almost none of them know any english. They just smile and say yes even though they would have not understood. Another thing is that they took our passport - the only hotel that kept them. Other hotels all just take a copy.

I asked for a packed breakfast on our departure date since we left early and it definatley wasnt of a four standard.

On the POSITIVE side, they offer three free shuttles during the day to and from Da lat centre which are very convenient. Taxis are stationed outside the hotel all the time which is also very useful. The room was super with a lovely view of the lake, a gigantic bed and good choice of english tv channels. Breakfast is delicious!!!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2017 via mobile

This place is beautiful, by the lake surrounded by amazing forest. I had the deluxe double room overlooking the lake and it was massive and so comfortable. I have read reviews that the staff were not good. This couldn’t be further from the truth, they were all so polite and helpful and welcoming. I loved my stay here! The food was delicious and the portions large. The spa offers great service at very reasonable prices. The only suggestion I would make is they could offer more free shuttles to town. There is only one in the morning, late afternoon and evening. Also I wasn’t really sure where to get the return shuttle, but I came back earlier than planned so I just got a taxi, no problem. There are always taxis parked out the front so it was easy to get to the airport. If you want a relaxing break from the city you should come and stay here for a day or two!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo