“Beware of scammers working in Viet Bamboo Travel, unhelpful guide”

Bamboo Travel - Day Tours
Ranked #702 of 866 Tours in Hanoi
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Our work objective is to achieve the best outcome for our clients and partners and we are owner operated so there are no added commissions to allied companies.. We can arrange travel options, housing solutions, Vietnam visas and many other services that international tourists, expatriates and associations may require.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We went on a full day tour from Hanoi with Viet Bamboo Travel. It was the Perfume Pagoda Tour on the 15th of March. Our fellow Vietnamese tourist were charming. Everything was going well until we arrived to the restaurant for lunch.
The restaurant was the last one on the left hand side before you arrive to the pagoda complex and also belongs to Viet Bamboo Travel.

Here we purchased drinks for us and our fellow tourists and pay with a 500,000 dong note. They waiter brought back change for a 50,000 note. We complained immediately but our claims were disregarded. We kept on complaining politely and even our guide did not defend us. See pics of the place and the thief below. They all just acted like if Westerners were stupid cash cows ready to milk (and that was an attitude unfortunately I found more than once across Vietnam).

After complaining politely, begging, rationalising and even shouting, our guide mentioned they had CCTV cameras. In the footage you could clearly see that the note we handed over was a different colour to the pink 50,000 dong notes the waiter had on his hand, and also the waiter (thief!) looks at the camera nervously when taking the money. Regardless of this evidence they decided the footage was inconclusive because the quality was not good enough to make out the numbers on the note. Finally we left frustrated and without our money.

Additionally on the way back, the guide had committed to drop us first because we were tight for a flight that same evening. We didn't mind to stop as many times as needed on the way to Hanoi. However we realised thanks to google maps that he was diverging from the route to drop off other people first. Mean and unhelpful.

I wouldn't definitely travel with Viet Bamboo Travel again. They just treat you like a walking wallet without brain. Never again!

1  Thank chucho_nordes

Reviewed 20 October 2017

Booked a 1-day trip to the Perfume Pagoda, via my hotel.
The place is stunning really, but quite unfortunately we had a guide who "did not guide"! When the tour started, he talked about the differences between North and South and the the problems with the war.. Very interesting and I thought it was a prelude to a good day and much more information to come.. BUT.. it was not! The guide did not tell us anything!
When we arrived, we had 20 minutes to visit three different temples (pagodas). We had then 15 minutes to descend to a cave, where there was another temple to visit.
I asked him if he could tell us something about the temples we visited, but he answered with "NO!".. He already had told us about the differences in Vietnam, he said...
I met a couple, who was staying at the same hotel I was, and who took the same trip, but had another tour operator, and they got incredible information about the place. I had to look for it on Wikipedia..
What a pity!
If you want to know the name of the guide, drop me a line and will let you know. I am sure the company also has better guides, but our was really, really BAD!
Many people complained and thought this person had just chosen the wrong job to do.

I complained about this to my hotel reception and they referred this to the Tour manager, who came to visit me about this, Very nice, but he came just when I had my taxi waiting for me to go to the airport. He apologized and offered to give me 5$ back... Well the trip was 39$ and I could have spent much less going by train, and choosing not to have a guide.
The hotel is still talking to the manager and will let me know how they can refund me.
A pity, because the place is incredibly interesting!

1  Thank Cristina B
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

Do not book with this travel agency!!!

Sold perfume pagoda tour and after hotel called because they were late a guy turned up who put us in a taxi to meet a bus. 1hr down the road we are told the bus wasn't going to Perfume Pagoda but a completely different Pagoda. No one spoke much English including the guide. Spent the day on the tour which went to a very bad buffet for lunch. It was pouring with rain as we returned to Hanoi and instead of taking us to our hotel as agreed they made us walk for half an hour in the rain with roads flooded to our knees. They took the attitude that if we don't get off they'll just drive further away from our hotel. Worst day.

6  Thank s3bb13
Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

We booked Fantasea tour to Halong Bay, 2 days 1 night. After booking we searched about the company on TripAdvisor and the reviews were terrible. We got really scaried of this. However, next day they picked us up on time and everything went perfect. We found the best price here.

1  Thank Alessandro F