Lowest prices for your stay
US$205
US$205
View deal
Reserve now, pay at stay
Etrip
US$194
Hotels.comUS$205
FairmontUS$203
TravelocityUS$205
1,595 results
All reviews flame towers gold lounge iconic building caspian sea a sea view room beautiful hotel outdoor pool special thanks nice view high level old city spacious rooms city centre four seasons floor shahin mr
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 February 2020 via mobile

We would thank very much fairmont hotel for good services and good welcoming us and especially mister Sarvan ,, we recommend this hotel so much,, and we canceled reservation from other hotel to come back here ,, thank you fairmont group and sure we will come back again.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank amaralafandi
Fairmont_Baku, General Manager at Fairmont Baku Flame Towers, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2020

Dear amaralafandi,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Fairmont Baku - Flame Towers.

Reviewed 25 February 2020

I have had my eyes on Fairmont Baku Flame Towers for a while. Azerbaijan is not a common tourist destination and I sometimes like to see something different / off the beaten path; in addition the Flame Towers are the icon of the city similar to how Fairmont Château Frontenac is in Québec so I could not picture going to Baku without staying in Fairmont.

I booked the entry level room and I subsequently upgraded to a Gold room for an extra charge before arrival. I saw online that on the second night of our stay the hotel was fully booked so I did not expect a suite upgrade as a Platinum guest. To my surprise they proactively offered an apartment which was much bigger (110 sq meters) than a Gold room (50 sq meters) but it was on the second floor rather than high floor. I was glad to take the complimentary upgrade to an apartment and was willing to compromise on the view. We had all the amenities one would need for a long stay including fridge, dishwasher, washing machine, oven, and equipment for cooking but no washing machine detergent was available for guests not even when I called to ask.

The living area of the apartment looks grandiose with huge windows two floors high although the water views were limited by the buildings in front and not as nice as the views from the lounge on the 19th floor. Also there is a fairly busy street in front of the hotel so we could hear traffic from the living room. The main bathroom and the bedroom were on the upper level of the apartment and they have a window overlooking the living room rather than being on the outer wall structure of the building, therefore the bedroom was very quiet in the night and we could have good sleep without noise disturbances. The only issue was the fact that the bedroom felt a bit hot even when moving temperature down to the minimum unlike the living room which could be cool if desired. From the shower and the bathtub you can enjoy the views of the city or draw the sheers down for privacy. The same can be done with the large windows in the living room to avoid having sunlight early morning. Generally speaking the room was good quality with advanced tech features such as the blinds and shears being operated from a wall panel and a TV being in the mirror of the bathroom. However the hotel is 8 years old so not brand new; the hardwood floors were nice but you can see some scratches here and there, the stairwell was a bit too narrow, plus the bathroom was not the most modern besides the TV in the mirror. For convenience there is a half bath behind the kitchen which is a must particularly for hotel rooms / apartments which are on two floors. As another sign that it’s not the newest hotel design we missed having power plugs and/or USB ports by the bed side; instead they were on the computer desk in the living room and on the desk in front of the bed.

The Gold lounge does not offer breakfast and instead Gold guests can have breakfast in the restaurant. One morning the restaurant was jam packed when we arrived at 10:30am, about half an hour before the end of the buffet at 11am. Service that morning was abysmal. If the restaurant is half empty it’s not a big deal if nobody escorts us to a table, but when it’s full the onus should not be on the guests to find a table and we struggled to find one available. Since nobody assigned us a table, it was no surprise that nobody came to offer us drinks, instead the lady from the entrance of the restaurant came to us twice to inform us and repeat (incorrectly) that our breakfast was not free because we were staying in an apartment, despite confirming to her that we were Gold guests. As they were more concerned about whether my breakfast was free rather than offering drinks, I ended up having to go grab a coffee pot myself and brought it to our table and had to find a coffee mug somewhere else in the restaurant because we were missing one. The situation at the buffet was even worse. Close to half the hot dishes were empty and at 10:50am we were informed that the buffet was closing in 10 minutes. I pointed out to them that many choices were unavailable since we arrived at 10:30am and one staff just shrugged and walked away. Fortunately service was better on other mornings when the restaurant was not so full (maybe in part because we went there earlier) with staff remembering our room number and proactively offered refills of drinks.

The food options at the buffet were good but possibly not quite at the same high level as other Fairmonts in this part of the world. Nonetheless it was nice to have some choices that stand out such as rice with pumpkin, fasali, pomegranate fruits, baked veggies, etc. but in retrospect I probably would have preferred a peaceful breakfast in the Gold lounge instead.

Happy hour in the lounge 5:30-7:30pm had high quality choices such as Indian rice, red snapper in a delicious sauce, chicken biryani / bughlama, etc. There were also several cold appetizers and desserts; on most nights it was sufficient to make it a dinner. The best part was how quiet the lounge was – not only it’s very big, nicely decorated, great views, but very few guests so we had an enjoyable time there.

During happy hour free drinks were limited to local wine and beer. For people who wanted something else at any time of the day (including during happy hour) they have a great selection for a charge, including Dom Pérignon champagne. Oddly we did not receive Platinum welcome drinks vouchers at check-in but I did not ask either since we had a Gold room and we could drink in the evening if we wanted.

Service in the lounge was similar as in the restaurant: rocky at the beginning but it improved in the latter part of our stay. The first afternoon we went there for afternoon tea it was an odd experience: nobody from the staff talked to us at all, not even to offer us a drink so we grabbed water by ourselves in the fridge. One evening in the lounge when we arrived one staff offered us a drink but the rest of the evening nobody talked to us at all, and nobody even bothered clearing our plates after we were finished so we put our dirty dishes on an empty table next to us and we refilled our drinks ourselves. That particular night it was only us plus one woman in the lounge so three guests total, and I counted at least 5 if not 6 staff so it’s not like they were overworked in any way. On other evenings there were a couple of staff members who were more proactive than others and provided good service during happy hour and also helped with advice regarding the taxi to go back to the airport and the settling of the bill via Fairmont gift certificates. So service was decent in the end but there were periods of lack of interaction.

Unfortunately the Gold lounge does not open until 11am so it’s not the most business-friendly schedule, in addition the printer in the lounge did not work during our stay. I had confidential documents to print so staff offered to print my documents if I e-mailed them but I preferred to print them myself so staff led me to the business center near reception as an alternative. The printer there kind of worked but the middle of each page was not legible so I ran out of options to print properly. Also during our stay wifi had decent speed of about 15 Mbps however there were occasional disconnections which are problematic for a business hotel. So all in all the facilities of the hotel for people on a business trip need some fine tuning.

Regarding service I already mentioned some subpar experiences in the restaurant and the lounge above, but in fairness there were also good aspects. I had a pre-arrival email exchange with Arzu from the reservations team who was helpful to secure our paid upgrade to a Gold room in advance of our stay. I told her that we would be arriving at the hotel very late (2am) and clearly she informed staff at the reception because when we arrived the bellman asked me if I was Mrs WWTravel as soon as I got out of the taxi which was impressive. That same staff member was also helpful later during our stay for directions in the city and booking our taxi upon departure. Housekeeping was well done every day exactly at the time we requested which was also another strong point.

Bottom line some parts of service were very good, but if I consider everything overall, service standards were lower than the other two Fairmonts where we stayed recently in the region. In Fairmont Amman we were treated like royalty for example during our first breakfast a manager came to introduce himself and gave us his business card and said he was there to ensure we would have a good stay. In Istanbul the service in the lounge is always great and contributes in making us return guests to this hotel despite stiff local competition. In fairness Baku might not be a tourist hot spot yet but if they want to get there, Fairmont needs to up its game to make to reach the service level of others, not only compared to Jordan or Turkey, but also UAE and Qatar.

Overall we had a good stay but Fairmont has room for improvement. Nonetheless I am glad I booked at Fairmont because I could not possibly travel to Baku and look at the beautiful Flame Towers without staying there because I would regret booking elsewhere. But now that I have stayed once, upon returning to Baku I would also consider other choices such as JW Marriott or Hilton. I would note that if I book at those competitors, I would get free breakfast, free lounge access and possibly good odds of a suite upgrade as an elite member of each loyalty program. At Fairmont, even as Platinum guests we don’t get free breakfast, no free lounge access, and suite upgrades with Accor are highly dependent on the property. However once I considered the paid upgrade to Gold, the 20% off due to using Fairmont gift cards, the final bill at Fairmont came to more or less the same price as JWM/Hilton plus I received the nice upgrade to an apartment. So in the end while our stay was not perfect, we got all the perks we could have received elsewhere and perhaps even better via a higher quality lounge, all that in a nicer hotel for the same price tag so I left satisfied.

1  Thank WorldWideTravel88
Reviewed 21 February 2020

The rooms are grande , spacious and luxurious and so are the bathrooms. There is a great view from the rooms and the hotel has all the amenities a business hotel need to offer. I also used the banquet rooms for a large conference. The service in the banquets was a bit below average. The staff were a bit impolite and at all times they had long gaps of shortage of food which meant some serious attention to detail was missing

1  Thank donivk

Dear donivk,

I regret that we could not meet your expectations on the banquet service for which I offer you my sincere apologies. Please kindly rest assured the information has been taken into most serious consideration of our Banquets department with the aim of the future improvement of our product and elimination of the unfortunate flaws. Thank you for sharing your opinion with us!

Nevertheless, we very much hope that nothing will prevent you from visiting us again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything else we can offer to make your next visit more enjoyable. In the meantime, we are very much looking forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Fairmont Baku Flame Towers Azerbaijan.

Reviewed 18 February 2020

Such a great people and wonderful hotel; this was one of my favorite hotels. Very modern and very reasonable. Great Jazz club. But my favorite location is 19th floor lounge. Great stuff especially Mr. Nurlan's attitude and willingness to serve. Great view of Hazar Sea.

Room tip: high floor view

Dear suhakocabal,

Reviewed 17 February 2020

One of the best hotel's I've ever stayed in!! Rooms are huge, bathroom is like a separate room. View is incredible! I have never seen such a beautiful city view. Breakfast is really great with lots of tasty things (like mango puree). Despite that fact that there are more expencive hotels in Baku, this one is the most beautiful I am sure.
Btw rooms are very similar to Rixos Premium Dubai :)

3  Thank VictoriaL2842