“Overpriced Poor Japanese Food”

Kanji Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #420 of 1,666 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Price range: US$7 - US$50
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 June 2016

Having lived in Japan for over eight years, I've become accustomed to good Japanese food. However, you will not find it at Kanji. I've been to the restaurant two or three times for business lunches and on each occasion we were offered the lunch menu only upon request - clearly they want customers to order off the even more outlandishly priced menu. I suppose one can say that the food was not horrible, but, considering the price, one would expect much more.

Yulia V, General Manager at Kanji Japanese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2016

Dear value guest Jamallo298106, I'm really appreciate you for your feedback!
You are correct, we may should get more attention to set lunch menu - and we did it already.
Our price are very reasonable and we try to hear all our guests and deserve to have opportunity to welcome back them often! My personally thanks and sincere apology for this experience, as new GM Almond Hotel, Yisang Chinese Restaurant and Kanji Japanese Restaurant, i strive to be confident that all our guests received great memorable feeling at our property. We will do our best for improve your impression, and please let me know your next visit Phnom Penh city, as i have opportunity to invite you back and discuss about our improvement! Each guest is VIP for me! please contact me directly, gm@almondhotel.com, +855 (0) 16 281888, at Your Service, Julia Vereshchaka, GM Almond Hotel, Yisang Chinese Restaurant and Kanji Japanese Restaurant

Reviewed 17 April 2016

I ordered the salmon dish, the food was good, but as with all Japanese Restaurants, this place is not cheap.

Reviewed 17 January 2016

I had difficulty finding the restaurant as it is not where the map says it is, but after trying a couple of days in a row, i had lunch there on a recent sunday. most of the food was good, although the maguro sushi was not as fresh as i expected. in fact, a few pieces were dry and one was definitely older than it should have been. however, the meal overall was quite good, and i tried several appetizers, the sushi and noodles. the service was attentive and the plates were very well presented. it is expensive, but not outrageously so. i am hopeful that i may find a better japanese restaurant in phnom penh, but so far i have not.

Reviewed 1 December 2015 via mobile

The restaurant located near the royal palace so we gave it a try. Completely worth 15' walking around. Sashimi was fresh and delicious. Sushi also really good so far. Recommend.

Reviewed 4 October 2015

a small restaurant in Phnom Penh with good service staff and the location is near to Aeon mall, sashimi and sushi are fresh, and delicious same as in Tokyo, many type of sake and suchu in a big menu for a choice
see you soon