“Not in the tourist areas”

Kanji Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #442 of 1,735 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Price range: US$7 - US$50
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 September 2016

This great Japanese Restaurant is not in the normal areas where you would expect such an establishment. Its location will become more strategic as Diamond Island grows and develops. It is easy to find though and is on the main road that takes you out to Aeon Mall.
It is a formal establishment with a very large Menu. I have had several dishes there and the promotion dish which this time was Shabu Shabu. Every meal I have had was excellent and well presented. As I love Japanese pickles I always order extra and they did not disappoint.
The staff were great and really added to the great vibe of the place

James567267, E-Commerce Manager at Kanji Japanese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2017

Dear Value Guest,

Thank you for very good rating, and recommending our restaurant to other guest
and thanks for your enjoy everything at our restaurant

Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Best Regards
Som Ol Meas
E-Commerce Manager

Reviewed 4 September 2016

I went there for lunch with local colleagues.
I ordered Seafood Bento set. In my opinion, it was not bad.
I enjoyed the green mango welcome drink .
The price was quite expensive comparing with the food quality.

Dear Value Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the constructive review,
as above we will work with our team to double check and will serve you the best.
Hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards
Som Ol Meas
E-Commerce Manager

Reviewed 2 July 2016

Stopped by this restaurant under the Almond Hotel for lunch on a walk from Aeon Mall back to my hotel near Independence Monument. It's not the prettiest part of Phnom Penh, but inside the restaurant looks very welcoming. I was the only diner when I was there which seemed odd, but lunch is always a tricky meal for attracting customers. I sat at the sushi bar and ordered a spider roll and Hokkaido scallop, one of the special sashimi items on a chalkboard menu behind the sushi bar. They also had a large menu of bento box lunches averaging about $10 which looked good. The scallop was perfectly fresh and had a slightly different texture and flavor than other scallop sashimi I've had. And it was large. I loved it. The spider roll, my favorite variety of maki was good. I like it best when they roll everything inside the nori sheet since it holds together better. Kanji put the rice on the outside of the nori with a topping of ikura. It tended to fall apart a bit when dipped in the soy and wasabi. It was an expensive lunch compared to local Khmer restaurants, but not unusual for good Japanese food.

Yulia V, General Manager at Kanji Japanese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2016

Dear Mr Rick M ,
Greeting from Kanji Restaurant, Almond Hotel! Appreciation for your warm comment about your lunch with us. We are very happy that you liked our Spider roll and Hokkaido scallop! Yes, we represent for our guests lunch menu of bento box by very reasonable price!
Our Team really appreciate you for your time and review and we do look forward to welcome you back very soon!
At your service,
Julia Vereshchaka
GM Almond Hotel, Yisang Chinese and Kanji Japanese Restaurant

Reviewed 8 June 2016

Having lived in Japan for over eight years, I've become accustomed to good Japanese food. However, you will not find it at Kanji. I've been to the restaurant two or three times for business lunches and on each occasion we were offered the lunch menu only upon request - clearly they want customers to order off the even more outlandishly priced menu. I suppose one can say that the food was not horrible, but, considering the price, one would expect much more.

Yulia V, General Manager at Kanji Japanese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2016

Dear value guest Jamallo298106, I'm really appreciate you for your feedback!
You are correct, we may should get more attention to set lunch menu - and we did it already.
Our price are very reasonable and we try to hear all our guests and deserve to have opportunity to welcome back them often! My personally thanks and sincere apology for this experience, as new GM Almond Hotel, Yisang Chinese Restaurant and Kanji Japanese Restaurant, i strive to be confident that all our guests received great memorable feeling at our property. We will do our best for improve your impression, and please let me know your next visit Phnom Penh city, as i have opportunity to invite you back and discuss about our improvement! Each guest is VIP for me! please contact me directly, gm@almondhotel.com, +855 (0) 16 281888, at Your Service, Julia Vereshchaka, GM Almond Hotel, Yisang Chinese Restaurant and Kanji Japanese Restaurant

Reviewed 17 April 2016

I ordered the salmon dish, the food was good, but as with all Japanese Restaurants, this place is not cheap.