“Authentic Lao Food with good taste.”
Review of Kualao Restaurant

Kualao Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 468 Restaurants in Vientiane
Price range: US$5 - US$30
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Kualao is not just a paragon of Vientiane hospitality, but is also a charming example of French colonial architecture and a treasury of the finest, authentic Lao cuisine. --------- Kualao Restaurant is Vientiane's most popular, internationally recognized, up-scale and authentic Lao food restaurant, where both local and visiting diners bask in an ambience that flawlessly reincarnates the romantic and sophisticated atmosphere of early colonial French Indochina. Kualao is discretely, and conveniently, nestled on the corner of the city's landmark That Dam Intersection, which is known for the famous 'Black Shrine' stupa that sits at the center of the nearby roundabout. The restaurant is housed in a charmingly elegant, vintage villa that, until only decades ago, formed the residential estate of French colonial officials. The restaurant's exterior epitomizes architecture 'a la francaise', invoking thoughts of the society parties, business deals and political intrigue that must have taken place there in the colonial era. The interior, however, whispers the soft Lao overtones of a traditional Southeast Asian interior. The distinctively patterned textiles, the rattan wall rendering, the discrete lighting, the traditionally glazed ceramic plates and the elegant golden cutlery is distinctly Lao and has been fused with modern, international essentials, such as a fully stocked wine cellar and an English language version of the menu. The harmonious blend of East and West is typified by the beautiful female hostesses in their traditional, multi-colored Lao Sinh skirts and the male 'garcons' in their formal, western-style black trousers, white shirts and bow ties. In its days as a prominent colonial estate, the Kualao building played host to Vientiane's elite society. Now, as Vientiane's most prestigious Lao restaurant, it is still the perfect place to meet, relax, enjoy sumptuous food and impeccable service and be captivated by enchanting Lao entertainment. You cannot truly say you have experienced the best that Laos has to offer unless you have dined at Kualao.
Reviewed 28 November 2015

The restaurant is not local street food. It's a very good restaurant so it's a bit expensive but the food is sooooooooooooooooo good. You should order the papaya salad and other local food here.

1  Thank Nalinee N
Aditta K, Owner at Kualao Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2016

I love it when commenters express themselves verbally on the web!

It is soooooooooo good to hear your beautiful comment, Nalinee N. We can't wait to serve you again during your next visit to Kualao.

Reviewed 28 November 2015 via mobile

Had the papaya salad. It was made with fermented fish oil which I thought tasted gross. Ordered another one with regular fish oil. It was OK but not as good as I have had elsewhere.

Also had the chicken larb. It too was OK but not as good as I have had elsewhere.

Tried the eggplant jeo. It was OK but a little tasteless.

My grandson had some fish dish which he did not finish. He likes everything so I guess that settles that.

My daughter had the fried beef. I don't know what it is called but it looks like beef jerky. She rated it was average.

My son-in-law (from Laos) had some chicken stew which he said was good.

The black sticky rice was nice.

Service was good.

I would not go back.

1  Thank rkaemp
Kualao, Owner at Kualao Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2017

Dear rkaemp,

I'm saddened that you won't come back. It means we've not done quite enough to cater to your needs.

In the future, if you ever do decide to visit us again, and if this happens to you again, please ask our customer service manager to re-prepare your food the way that you would like it!

While most of the dishes were average for you, I'm truly grateful that our all time favorite purple sticky rice made you happy! And I'm sure glad our terrific staff treated you kindly as well.

Reviewed 26 November 2015

the food is good. Lao dances are excellent.the wine was a bit raw and they ran out of orange juice. but the servers were very nice and helpful.

1  Thank advisorSuva

I am truly sorry that we ran out of fresh orange juice. It is one of our best sellers.

Was it the house wine or one of our bottled wine that was "raw"? Please let us know for next time. If so, we'll gladly replace it with a new glass/bottle.

I will convey your message to the kitchen and wait staff. I'm sure they'll appreciate your kind compliments!

Reviewed 26 November 2015 via mobile

We had lunch at Kualao during our business trip. The food arrive very quick. Staffs English was not very good, but at least they tried to understand my colleagues requests. They understand Thai perfectly.

Waitress was very nice and attentive.

The fish was fresh and the Banana flambé dessert is very tasty.

1  Thank RadiC888

I'm glad that the staff did their best to understand you. And thank you for being so patient.

The banana flambé dessert is my personal favorite. I do hope that you tried it with the ice cream! Even tastier with chocolate ice cream on the side.

Thank you for supporting authentic Lao cuisine!

Reviewed 24 November 2015

Food was ok, service was quick. The show was also nice, not too long, not too short. The restaurant caters to all of the important guests who come to Vientiane.

Thanks for your comment. I'm glad to hear that you got your food pretty quickly. We are also glad that you appreciated the show.

All guests are equally important to us!