“Saturday meditation ”
Review of Wat Sok Pa Luang

Wat Sok Pa Luang
Reviewed 23 September 2015 via mobile

Attended the Saturday meditation which consisted of 20 min seated mediation 20 min walking mediation and another 20 min seated mediation. The meditation is from 4 - 5pm but they have open Q&A with the monks from 3pm if you want to get there early and chat with them. The mediation is free and I really enjoyed being there with the monks, local people and some other French tourists. Wak Sok Pa Luang is across from the German embassy - the location in the link in trip advisor is incorrect. It should be about 60k kip to have a tuk tuk take you from centre of town and back and wait for you. I would suggest getting a cushion up front as everyone seems to go towards the back and some of the fidgeting during mediation drove me crazy. I moved up front for the second session. For the walking mediation - keep your shoes off an just walk around outside the temple.

There are newer reviews for Wat Sok Pa Luang

Reviewed 13 August 2015 via mobile

I had the hardest time finding the place, but got a great workout from all the I had to do. Lesson learned, show locals the name of the place from the guide book otherwise they think you want the bcyclingig wat automatically.

I went specifically for the meditation sessions on Sat afternoons. It was confusing a first since there are no signs, and weren't that many people when I got there. But then you heard a bell ring and monks and monastic nuns (dressed in beautiful white gowns) came in droves to the big meeting hall.

I went in with some other French travelers and we Sat in the back. There was no English or anyone to guide us. But it didn't matter, thru the energy you get into it even though you have no idea what's going on and I was able to meditate intensely for most of the hour. In the end, it was worth the challenges of finding it.

1  Thank Adam B
Reviewed 19 December 2014

As I read, heard and saw, the massage and sauna place that I first visited in 2007, burnt down. What a pity, because it was so special.
The rest of the (forest) temple is unchanged.
Nice place to get away from all the tourist bustle in the city.

1  Thank jobst56
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I rode my bicycle there and found a pretty desolate template with no sign of people. Only if I read other folks' comment beforehand, I could have use that time to do something else.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

It burns on June 2013 and it doesn't work from july. So it's better you ask at your hotel if they know some typical herbal sauna.

2  Thank Rafa P