“Old colonial hotel still has all its charm”

Galle Face Hotel Colombo
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed 18 March 2015

We stayed here for 3 nights at the end of our two week trip to Sri Lanka. We were glad we did. Although it is a little old and worn the view from our room of the pool and ocean were great. We also enjoyed the food there as well as the service. It will be much better once the construction is done. Wish I could go back there to see the hotel when that is done.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Evathetraveler
CarlosS88, Manager at Galle Face Hotel Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2015

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with The Galle Face Hotel during your recent visit to Colombo and for sharing your appreciation with us.

We are delighted to learn that you had an excellent stay with us and particularly value our hotel. Your comments on the service provided by our staff are most gratifying and will be shared with the whole team.

The current rooms in the South wing are undergoing a facelift that includes polishing of floors and furniture, painting, new upholstery and drapes, new TVs and other improvements. We hope to finalize all rooms in a matter of months.

It was certainly a pleasure for us to be at your service and we all look forward to welcoming you again soon to The Galle Face Hotel.

Reviewed 16 March 2015 via mobile

Loved staying here for two nights. Beds comfortable, showers great, beautiful salt water pool and ocean side bar to see sunset. Enjoy the arrack sours. Excellent service! We ate wonderful breakfasts here, have the egg hoppers. Convenient location to get a tuk tuk anywhere.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank sueskier11
CarlosS88, Manager at Galle Face Hotel Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2015

Reviewed 15 March 2015

As a regular visitor to this hotel for over 19 years, I can only say good things about the Galle Face. It may not be perfectly modern, but the staff take hospitality to a new level. It is an integral part of Sri Lanka and Colombo's culture, with Sri Lankan weddings regularly taking place in the hall adding to a great atmosphere.

The hotel is clean, well-maintained and well-staffed, with a great breakfast service and a selection of continental and Sri-Lankan meals on offer.

The rooms have everything you need and are furnished with beautiful fittings and fixtures that add to the charming experience.

No trip to Sri-Lanka is complete without a night at the Galle Face and it is an ideal place to start your trip.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank TBZCarroll

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback through Tripadvisor.

We thank you very much for your patronage and look forward to having you back with us.

Reviewed 14 March 2015 via mobile

I was recommended this place from my friends who stayed here while ago. They all had a great time and kept some good memories from here. Colombo is an amazing city. I love this city very much. The hotel is nice but I think it can be better. Staffs are very kind and do their job well. But I think early (relatively) morning on the way to breakfast, greet too many people can be bothersome. It is not really a complaint but often think that there are too many staffs. So feel a bit uncomfortable to pass by. Although I wonder I may felt that way because half of the hotel is under renovation. So maybe full staffs might've been in half of the hotel.

The view of the hotel is AMAZING. you don't even have to go out to Galle Face Green to see sunsets. You can have a drink by the sunset or dark evenings with wind and tides sound. The pool is also very nice and loved it.

Breakfast at the hotel is good. But the lunch and room service menu can be more selections. It was limited. And also every meal time has its own time limit. So if you want to have dinner before 7:30 then you have to wait either you have to go out. Dinner was buffet. But I wasn't a big fan of it. It was okay. Wish there was actual menu and I can order simple one. I could've done room service. But my room didn't even have a sofa or small coffee table. But I didn't want to have it in the bed that early. The hotel is not fully open. So I'm not sure how it'd be after the renovation is done.

The room I stayed was none smoking room. But somehow I could smell smoking. There was a door between my room and next room near the window. That is way too thin that I could hear what they are talking. So I was wondering those playing guitar and singing next door people are the smokers. Even after I complaint I could smell it. Maybe I am too sensitive about this. Decorations might be difficult to review. I love it. It is old fashioned style and I am appreciating that it is not modern style that you can se anywhere. Now they are in the middle of construction, so be aware. It's not gonna be perfect at the moment. You can't use it all of it. The front yard is also half of it is opened.

Location is fantastic. You are here for meetings or travel, you will love the location. Hotel cars are clean and nice drivers.

There are lots of likes and dislikes. So it was hard to judge it. If someone asks me that I want to stay here again then no. Not because I hated. Because I want to compare. It wasn't make me to be convince and fall in love in every aspect. So it's your choice from my review. What would be your priority to choose is the key.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
3  Thank junbug1973

I really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback through Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to learn that you had a good stay with us and particularly value our hotel. Your comments on the service provided by our staff are most gratifying and will be shared with the whole team.

I'm sorry you were inconvenienced by the smoking guests in the adjoining room. I'm afraid some people don't have manners.

Reviewed 11 March 2015 via mobile

This hotel is based in a building from the 1800s. Situated right next to the Indian Ocean, with a pool and lounge chairs. My room is lovely. The bathroom is huge with ayervetic lotion, shampoo and bath gel. The sunset drinks of Arreck sours was just wonderful.

• Stayed: March 2015
1  Thank Diane G
CarlosS88, Manager at Galle Face Hotel Colombo, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2015