“Opulence in the heart of Colombo”
Review of The Kingsbury

The Kingsbury
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Colombo
Reviewed 10 March 2015

We spent two nights at The Kingsbury back in December 2014 and we were not disappointed. The hotel is beautifully decorated and on arrival we received a fresh arrangement of roses to our hotel room door. The bathroom was adorned with Bulgari products and the whole place oozes class.
During our stay we dined at The Harbour Court restaurant which boasts a huge buffet stretching over a large area, with a terrine buffet, a mixture of Western and Asian style foods, and my favorite, the dessert buffet did not disappoint with both Western and traditional Sri Lankan sweets on offer. I have never seen so many soups and bread rolls to choose from!
We were staying here while we were attending a friends wedding, so I decided to try out the salon in the basement to have my hair done. The young man that did my hair was so polite and did an absolutely fantastic job, I actually felt like I fit in while walking through the hotel lobby with Hollywood hair! And the salon prices were great value, I wish we had talented hair dressers like this at home. I was truly impressed. And several people dropped in to the salon without appointments for massages and manicures and pedicures and the staff were very friendly and obliging.
There is not a lot of shopping or much to see in the immediate area surrounding the hotel, but the hotel taxis are very reasonable.
All in all a very high class hotel for a reasonable price, I have to say I felt a little uncomfortable not having an extensive designer label wardrobe, but when you look around most of the guests are dressed comfortably and we were not treated any differently by the hotel staff. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank B B
Daminda J, Director of Rooms at The Kingsbury, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2015

Dear BB,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review with regards to your recent stay at The Kingsbury Hotel, much appreciated. I
am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for giving us an excellent rating and praise especially services & staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 10 March 2015

the location, the reception area & staff,the break fast settings & spread,the immaculate house keeping ,the suite with an amazing view of the sea,the sauna & steam room,trips to bailys &bellagio, great experience. to top it all, the european vintage cars ,a collection of beauties....it was truly memorable......

Room Tip: corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank natsty147

Dear Natsty 147,

I see that you have truly experienced a very positive experience like many of our guests and reviewers.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel should your travels do bring you back to Colombo.

Reviewed 10 March 2015

We stayed here on a recent visit and was impressed with how well this hotel works. The rooms are spacious and the staff are friendly and helpful. We arrived on a busy night when there was a big wedding . We had some noisy guests in our corridor however the staff were right onto it. The corridor itself smelt quite strongly of cigarettes however the room was not affected. The pool is great & the breakfast buffet would have to have one of the biggest selections I have ever seen!! We also enjoyed the rooftop bar ..great place for sunset drinks.

Room Tip: Higher floors better view of harbour make sure its NON Smoking. Lifts can be problematic when its bu...
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank 79suzannem79

Dear 79Suzannem79,

I am glad to hear hat our staff have responded to your needs well.

Reviewed 7 March 2015

This hotel by far has been the most amazing for me in my multiple trips to colombo. The room is very cozy and comfortable and the bathroom has superb Bvlgari toiletries. The bed and the pillows are extremely comfortable.

Breakfast is quite nice with a vast spread of items that taste very good. Very good service (including room service).

The view from the room is gorgeous as it overlooks the entire Galle road to the sea.

The only issue i had was with the Mohito I ordered at the Sky Bar where the Mohito was served on w Whisky glass with not enough rum! They were kind enough to top it up upon my request. Hope they use proper glasses for the drinks.

Will definitely stay here on future trips as it is simply fantastic and your privacy is well guarded!

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
Daminda J, Director of Rooms at The Kingsbury, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2015

Dear Gautzhere,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review with regards to your recent stay at The Kingsbury Hotel, we very much appreciate this. I thank you for your kind words and appreciation of our hotel many areas.
I see that you have truly experienced our hotel and had a very positive experience like many of our guests and reviewers.
It will be our absolute pleasure to welcome you back to our hotel when you visit Colombo next!
Warmest regards,

Reviewed 7 March 2015

So here's the thing... almost everyone on here has written their review based on one experience. I know when you have an amazing or terrible experience, you just want to let someone know; but my experience with Kingsbury was so disgusting, that I just kept giving the hotel chances, hoping that something would change. IT DIDN'T! My experience is over 1.5 years, and trust me if you are thinking of hosting an event here, my review is a MUST READ!

I have summarised my experiences for all of you.

Early 2013: Made a booking for the Balmoral (Ballroom) for 450-500 pax. I was in constant conversation with a gentleman by the name Rizvi. A couple of months into organising my homecoming (wedding celebration), I realised that nothing was getting done. I went straight to the Banquets team and was told that Rizvi had left the hotel MONTHS AGO!! The guy was taking my calls from home!

Mid 2013: Met with a gentleman by the name Mahesh (who no longer works there). If it wasn't for him, our event would have been a huge flop. He was the only reason we continued to keep our booking at the hotel. He introduced us to the head chef, to help us select our menu. What a waste of time that meeting was. I went through the menu asking him for which food would go with which and he literally said yes to everything, even if i suggested mixing Indian curry with Thai. He was not helpful at all.

Homecoming Day: When I asked for a bottle to be placed on my family table, as the waiters were hopeless, I was told that they couldn't do that unless they got permission. By the way, it is allowed as we bring the alcohol in to the function. Many of our guests later told us that they had to almost scream at staff to get what they wanted, as staff would say "sure" and then never come back!

THE WORST PART: Many of our guests got food poisoning and severely! (we did report this, but not a single person from the hotel commented on it to this day. Since then, we have had many friends say that they too have experienced and heard of many stories of food poisoning at the hotel.

November 2013 - On our Honeymoon: I receive a bank statement on my email which shows that I have been charged for the complimentary suite, which is part of the wedding package. Once we returned back to Sri Lanka, I had weeks of conversations via email and telephone, trying to get my refund. The staff just wouldn't accept that we were overcharged. It took me emailing the GM, to get that refund back. They did send us a cake as an apology.

October 2014: Rung the hotel to find out when we could come for our complimentary 1 year anniversary dinner. Spoke to a one girl at the start (can't remember her name and for several weeks, she kept saying she'd call me back, but never heard from her. I then spoke to a lady by the name Kumarie, who sorted out the voucher for me, but i was sorted a couple of hours from me taking a flight. I informed her that I would pick it up when I return to Sri Lanka in a couple of weeks. I then returned and called the Banquets team, again receiving responses of "we will call you back madam". By this time I was well and truly tired of it, but wanting to pursue this for the purpose of this review.
Around January, I spoke to a lady by the name Jacqueline who assured me she would get it sorted out, which she did. She gave me her mobile number although never replied when I asked her for the status. I only know she sorted it out because I rung again, extremely annoyed at the situation. Super disappointed that I got a mobile number as assurance, but never a response.

Finally I was so annoyed, I requested to speak to the manager. At first the lady who answered, avoided giving me the manager's number. I was given the Assistant Manager's number - Nishagi. She was the one who finally sorted out this never-ending drama!

Last Night: Called the Harbour Court Restaurant to double check our reservation 3 times. Between each time I called Nishagi to inform her that the staff kept saying there is no reservation under our names. Finally she asked us to ask for Elizabeth who knew about our reservation. Thank you Nishagi for sorting this out for us!

Our experience last night was DISGUSTING! It was 9:30 and the staff were setting up for BREAKFAST!!! The were dragging chairs all over the place, dropping cutlery in buckets etc. It was extremely rude. Our table wasn't even set, when we arrived. They just put down the basic cutlery and kept cleaning. I have a recording of all the noise, which I will be sending the GM.

Finally, when leaving, no one was aware that we didn't have to sign anything....

My Advice to you all: DO NOT host your function here and DO NOT eat at the Harbour Court, especially for dinner. If you want to eat at The Kingsbury, the Chinese Restaurant is amazing and has the most professional and polite staff. The Sky Lounge bar is also very nice.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nethalie P
Daminda J, Directorof Rooms at The Kingsbury, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2015

Dear Nathalie P

I note comments on your review and have forwarded them to the relevant Heads of Departments. Your comments help us to improve our services in the future. I apologies on behalf of the hotel and I thank you for the detailed feedback you have provided.
My E mail ID is below and i would like to personally get in touch with you to address some of the highlighted areas from your review.
I look forward to getting in touch with you

Kind reagrds