1,745 results
All reviews hagia sophia seasons restaurant old city rooftop bar blue mosque luxury hotel beautiful hotel grand bazaar perfect location turkey hotel experience historical sites basilica cistern baklava call to prayer restaurant staff deluxe room
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We were pleasantly surprised with all aspects of our 3 night stay at the Four Seasons. Our original concern was that this was just another pricey, impersonal, big-city hotel. It may be pricey but it is worth every lira. As mentioned by most other reviewers, the location in the heart of historic Sultanahmet is perfect for the tourist. The building may once have been a prison but it is now somewhere I would gladly take a life sentence! After the hustle and bustle of the bazaars, mosques and museums, the Four Seasons is like an oasis in paradise, especially the central courtyard where we sat in the sun drinking beer and smelling the grape hyacinths. The staff was welcoming, most professional and able to meet all needs, from currency exchange to restaurant bookings to arranging our purchase of the carpet in our bath (best deal of the trip). We were not able to partake of dinner in the restaurant (which we now regret) but the breakfast boufet was excellent. The Friday night Turkish wine tasting with cheese actually took the place of dinner that night (make sure you book in advance). Due to the season, the rooftop terrace was not available but we could tell it would be the place to be later in the year. I just realized this review sounds just like most of the others so I better stop.

Shopping hints: The nearby Arasta Bazaar is worth a visit and is like a mini-Grand Bazaar without the tourist junk and hassle. Jennifer's Haman is the place for linens. Also close by is Iznik Classics for tiles and Mehmet Cetinkaya Gallery for art and a professional, no pressure exposure to carpets.

Room Tip: We had a Double-Deluxe. The seating area is somewhat limited (only one comfortable chair).
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KauaiRobin
Reviewed 25 April 2012

This hotel is a true gem. The welcome by the staff was one of genuine warmth and immediately there was an expression that they would do anything within their powers to make their guests' stay special. The converted prison has a central garden with a stream running down one side, manicured grass and a an enchanting smell of hyacynths. The restaurant is situated in this courtyard and looks out onto the garden. From the roof terrace there are magnifienct views of the Bosphorus, Blue Mosque, Aghia Sophia and of the Topkapi Palace. These sites are therefore only a few minutes walk away but as soon as you return to the hotel from the hustle and bustle of Istanbul there is an immediate atmosphere of peace and tranquility.
The only downside is that the hotel does not have a swimming pool. However after a short conversation with the concierge he had rung the sister Four Seasons Hotel on the Bosphorus and arrangements were made for us to enjoy the pool and spa facilities at that hotel. Indeed we were greeted at this hotel as if we were special guests and of course there was no extra charge. What a special and unforgettable weekend my wife and i had.

Room Tip: Facing the courtyard garden
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank malcolm5656
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week in Istanbul. First of all, it is a wonderful city, a definite must see. It is clean, the people are friendly, there is so much to see and do. I have never seen so many flowers!!!!

We had the great good fortune of staying at the Four Seasons Sultanahmet. The location can't be beat, but beyond that, the hotel is simply lovely. It is comfortable, well designed, and staffed with caring individuals who see to it that you have a wonderful visit to their little bit of paradise. Many early mornings after breakfast, we would spend time in the courtyard just enjoying its beauty. The fragrant flowers just added to its ambiance. After a long day, we had a galss of wine on the rooftop terrace with the views that are unsurpassed anywhere.

I absolutely love this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kmmcq
Reviewed 21 April 2012

A beautiful hotel in a perfect location - close to everything but on a quiet back street. Every detail has been considered and the amazing staff was attentive at all times. I have never felt so taken care of. Beautiful rooms, lovely courtyard where we enjoyed our breakfast each morning - the only thing I could have wished for was hotter water in my shower. The food was okay, not bad, but not exceptional either. The spa on the other hand was an added bonus. They wash your feet with rose water in a beautiful candle lit room! Great massage. This is the way to travel.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms have a lovely view. All rooms were beautiful and quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank CherylNS
FelixMurillo, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Dear CherylNS,

My name is Felix Murillo, I am the General Manager of the Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet.

Thank you very much for your review. The title is very special. I am sorry to hear that the water temperature was not hot enough, thank you very much for telling me so we can review the temperature of all the rooms.

CherylNS please let me know how I may be of assistance at any time.

Yours Cordially,

Felix

Reviewed 21 April 2012

The Four Seasons has done something quite unique with their beautiful property in Sultanahmet in the heart of the old city in Istanbul. A small, boutique feel along with the Four Seasons brand of quality and service combine and the result is a property that provides an island of serenity and comfort in the middle of the bustling of one of the great crossroad cities in the world.

The layout is an old prison, but you have to wildly stretch the imagination to conjure up any of that past. Highlights include having a drink on the rooftop terrace, the Bosphorous behind you and the Hagia Sofia right in front of you. You can feel the history and commerce all around you.

The staff is meticulous, and beyond what you can experience at other five star hotels, it almost feels like each of the staff are hosting you in their own place. That feeling is helped by the small size, with less than 70 rooms. The courtyard is a flowered garden to rest and recharge.

I was unfortunately there for a brief work visit of one day/night, but if you want a great location to settle in and explore Istanbul, this is a super spot to base out of for a few days

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard facing room but not on the first floor. That way you can keep a window open and enjoy the view. Avoid rm 123 which is near a service entrance.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Dear Socalicouple,

I look forward to your return one day to stay with us a bit longer. Please let me know at any time if I may be of assistance.

On behalf of each and every employee thank you. Thank you very much for taking the time to write about the Hotel but more over about the team. With your permission I would love to share the review with them.

Yours cordially,