“A Great Place for Afternoon Tea!”

Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet
Ranked #16 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 23 August 2012

On one of my sightseeing days in Istanbul back in May of 2010, I decided to have afternoon tea at the Four Seasons at Sultanahmet. Although the hotel is located in a former prison, it is a remarkable transformation. The entrance to the hotel has the most spectacular floral arrangements to welcome guests. The public rooms are elegant, and I particularly loved the central courtyard, where tables are available for dining al fresco. There is a fine gift shop with carefully selected Turkish wares, including their gorgeous pottery.

I decided to eat outside in the courtyard and had the most delicious afternoon tea, with several savories, including a smoked salmon open sandwich, scones with strawberry preserves and fresh whipped cream, and four mini-cakes garnished with hazelnuts or slices of strawberry. There was a choice of teas, and mine came in a fair-size teapot, served English-style, along with an extra jug of boiling water, and a choice of lemon or milk.

A wonderful way to relax for a couple of hours in the old city without the bustling crowds!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Bear59
Felix M, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Dear Bear 59,

How great that you took the time to write a note about the Hotel Afternoon Tea. Thank you very much.

Back in 1996 when we were putting together the Hotel to be opened, I was coming from London from the Four Seasons in Park Lane, we were passionate to create an area for afternoon tea with our English recipe of scones. The afternoon tea went magical with the Turkish traditions.

I am Felix. Felix Murillo, the General Manager of the Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet. Please Bear 59, if I may ever be of any assistance please let me know. My direct email address is felix.murillo@fourseasons.com.

Yours cordially,

Felix

Write a ReviewReviews (1,591)

Reviewed 18 August 2012

We stayed in both Four Seasons hotels while in Istanbul. For two nights we stayed on the Bosphorus Four Seasons and two nights in the Four Seasons Sultanahmet. The Four Seasons Sultanahmet is in the heart of the old city. Within walking distance of the Blue Mosque, St Sophia and the Hippodrone. Also within walking distance of the Grand Bazaar. But, also the minute we walked into the hotel there was no checking in. They met us at our car and took us directly do our room which was beautiful. The entire hotel had a much more Turkish feel then the Four Seasons on the Bosphorus. Don't get me wrong, the Bosphorus hotel is beautiful, however, more modern and could be located anywhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
FelixMurillo, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Dear harrylover55,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

My name is Felix Murillo and I am the General Manager of the Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet.

I completely agree that it is the combination of both Hotels that it makes it best. While we are here in the middle of History and Mystique, our Bosphorus property is by the water, closer to the new town and with a magnificent SPA.

I would love to be of any assistance if I may in the future whether within Four Seasons or Istanbul, please let me know. My direct email address is felix.murillo@fourseasons.com.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

With all of the comments provided from others about the great location, I'll simply point out the comfortable rooms, exceptional service and beautiful decor. We enjoyed staying at the Four Seasons at Sultanahmet and would highly recommend it for visiting many of the main attractions in Istanbul - especially if you're visiting Istanbul for the first time. The staff couldn't have been more accomodating and English is spoken well throughout the hotel. We used the Concierge on several occassions and were quite pleased with the recommendations to restaurants and a nearby performance of Whirling Dervish. The food at the hotel is also excellent and the breakfast buffet is outstanding! The size of the room was surprisingly generous and the decor throughout the hote is elegant and very comfortable. The only thing I missed was having access to a pool on a hot summer day. I don't recall seeing many children at the hotel, so the lack of a pool might be a plus for those wanting more quiet surroundings. We slept very well!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
FelixMurillo, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Dear CarolGregory,

My name is Felix Murillo, I am the General Manager of the Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet.

How nice to open the Trip Advisor and see your note. You are very nice with us.Thank you.

If I may ever be of any assistance within Four Seasons or Istanbul please let me know. My direct email address is felix.murillo@fourseasons.com.

Yours Cordially,

Reviewed 11 August 2012

The staff were great , from the time they picked us up at the airport, to the daily contact, good food, good wine options.
best was the location, we wanted somewhere where we could stay that was close to most sights, in fact we are only 100m away for the Blue mosque.

Room Tip: over lloking the courtroom , with a view of the Mosque... Upstairs floor 4
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chris s

Dear chris s,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write about the Hotel and your experience. I am Felix Murillo, the General Manager. I am here at the Restaurant with the team showing them your comment about the food and wine and I can assure you that you make them very happy.

If I may ever be of any assistance please chris s let me know. My direct email address is felix.murillo@fourseasons.com.

Cordially,

Reviewed 6 August 2012

This is a review that I simply had to take the time to write. My stay in Turkey was part of an itinerary that included travel elsewhere but our time in Sultanahmet is one I will never forget and hold as the gold standard for service and professionalism from here on.

As far as the physical characteristics of the hotel, trust me, you will not be disappointed. The reception, courtyard, guest room, dining and tea/coffee facilities were what one truly expects in a first class hotel. Just walking in the halls of the property was like walking in a favorite fine art gallery. The location is as everyone else states, incredible. The views from the decks are stunning, you feel like you are in the Hagia Sofia compound. There were some reviews I read before I booked this hotel that stated disappointment in the lack of a swimming pool at the hotel. Believe me, a swimming pool is going to be the least of your interests with everything else that Istanbul, Sultanahmet, and this hotel have to offer. All significant sites in Sultanahmet are right next door, just steps away.

What truly sets this particular hotel apart from similar caliber hotels in the world is its heart and soul which are the staff. I had a very significant issue with our travel documents the day of our departure and therefore could not make our flight to Istanbul as scheduled. This threw our entire itinerary off and of course caused us significant anxiety regarding our airport pickup, hotel and tour reservations, etc... Let me just keep it to this, the Gen. Manager and his staff at this hotel rearranged everything for us as far as our stay in Istanbul was concerned. I have never experienced such empathy and professionalism from a luxury hotel, not even other Four Seasons properties in the world. Actually every member of the staff that I dealt with deserves the highest honors. Mr Felix Murillo, the Gen Manager is for sure the best luxury hotel Manager I have ever dealt with. He personally responded to my requests prior to my arrival even though he was away on a business trip himself. The in house reservation staff including Serkan Aydin, Nural Aytan, and Meral Kozal dealt with my unexpected travel difficulty in extremely professional, polite, and empathetic fashion. The Concierge staff also dealt with my multiple emails with incredible speed, Hakan Taspinar, Kadir Kalay, and Selim Calik all deserve applause. Lastly, even though he was not an employee of the hotel, I must mention Boraak (Buraq), our private tour guide arranged by the hotel. Just like everything else I've mentioned, he fit right in and made this experience amazing. Ask for him and you will truly enjoy Sultanahmet.

In summary, even if the physical plant of this hotel was not as incredible as it was, the GM, in house reservations department, Concierge, and all the support staff truly make this hotel amongst the best in the world!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tayyib_R

Dear Tayyib_R,

Yesterday afternoon I became sort of emotional when I said goodbye to Şirin, one of our Housekeeping supervisors who retires and that had I had welcomed to the team back over 15 years ago at the opening of the Hotel. It was emotional for all of us!

During the farewell we connected through Skype through other Housekeeper managers that were in different Four Seasons of the World who wanted to say goodbye to Şirin and thank her for being their teacher... As much as I am the Manager here... My eyes became very red and emotional.

I do not really know what I tell you this, but the truth is that I became emotional reading your comment and reminded me yesterday.

Thank you for being so gracious, thank you. I can´t wait to thank Hakan, Selim, Kadir and all the team to share it with them and thank them. I am just here the one with the foreign accent...

If I may ever be of any help within Four Seasons or Istanbul please let me know. You know my direct email address is felix.murillo@fourseasons.com.

Yours respectfully,