“Great cultural experience and value!”

Hodjapasha Cultural Center
US$30.00*
Rhythm of the Dance Show at Hodjapasha In Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: 1. Dervish Experience : Live Show & Exhibition : Everyday Tuesday , Thursday , Saturday and Sunday at 19:00 Price: 70 TL / Free hot and cold beverages. 2. Rhythm of the Dance :Featuring variety of charming folkloric dances of Anatolia combined with exotic Oriental dances and Ottoman Palace dances. Every Tuesday & Saturday at 21:00 Price : 110 TL / Free hot and cold beverages.
Reviewed 29 July 2017

I've been here twice now for two different shows and both were excellent. The setting is intimate and so you feel like you have front row seats from anywhere in the room! The performances are highly professional and the venue is beautiful.

Reviewed 20 July 2017

it is a serious religious ceremony. We were not allowed to photograph, clap hands or make noise. The ceremony lasted an hour first with an introduction and then the whirling. Before the show we were offered juice, water and tea which was good. Better to read about it before going in. Not for children as many had put their heads in their parents laps for a snooze.

Reviewed 9 July 2017

Knowing some background information about Sufism and Rumi helps appreciate the ceremony, and the cultural center does a good job introducing it to larger audiences. But do prepare yourself for the experience. From some of the negative reviews it is obvious that many had not done so, and were instead expecting entertainment only.

This is essentially a religious ceremony, and should be respected as such. It will last approximately an hour, beginning with prayers, a musical invocation, meditation session, and a long segment featuring the whirling dervishes. The cultural center has displays in the lobby to introduce Sufism and the concepts behind the performance as well as literature. Preparation is essential.

People are instructed NOT to take photos or video during the performance. It IS intended as a religious ritual and should be respected. From reviews and from my own experience, there WILL be tourists violating this plea. I heard numerous photo snapping behind me and the lady next to me was sneaking video footage on her phone. NOT a cool thing, but I don't know what the cultural center could do to ensure proper respect.

One negative: the website advertised that we would have Turkish coffee and a Turkish delight for the "early entry" ticket. That was inaccurate. We were served tea and inexpensive candy.

1  Thank moviegeekjn
Reviewed 28 June 2017

Important to know that this is not entertainment. What you witness is an actual religious ceremony involving the famous whirling dervishes. The audience is asked for silence, no photography and no applause. the ceremony lasts about an hour and is an excellent introduction to Sufism. Lobby area contains an excellent outline of the history of the religion and the dervishes.

1  Thank mjhtnt
Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

Have you ever been trapped in a special version of purgatory surrounded by spinning McDonald's mcflurry machines? Replace the mcflurry machines with dudes and lock yourself in a room w them for an hour with nothing to kill yourself with. I tried to choke on my own spit but the sign said "no making noise while they perform" so I silently choked down my spit and was unable to die. A new low in my life (on which there are already many lows).

But seriously I don't know how this is rated 4 stars on TripAdvisor. There are only 4 dancers so they can't spam too many fake ratings . Besides.... they are probably too dizzy from spinning to write coherent reviews anyways. The show is literally 4 dudes spinning around for an hour. They don't even have stripper poles to spin on.

Anyways I'm not sure what I did in a past life to get myself (and 3 friends) trapped here. On that note... I'm actually looking for new friends because I lost mine due to this show.

Too long; didn't read- if you have a few friends (or a really boring date) that you really need to get rid of for $30... this is a great option. Otherwise, save your money and light it on fire because it will at least keep you warm for a few minutes.

3  Thank Simon S