“European/Mediterranean Vacation”

Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel
Ranked #59 of 101 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

The hotel has an excellent location on the beach, no outdoor pool but does offer an indoor option. The staff are very friendly and able to offer suggestions and easy directions to nearby sights. The beach in front is one of the busier ones with amazing views and great restaurants and bars. Rooms are dated but still a great place to stay.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Renaissance T, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Dear Jmcewen1,
It was a pleasure reading your feedback. We thank you for highlighting our features and commending our team. We would be delighted to host you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 August 2017

Where to start...

For context, we are Marriott Platinum Elite (250+ nights in Marriott properties per year) and have stayed in many of the Marriott portfolio properties in US, Europe, and Asia. This, by far, was the absolute worst of them all, and perhaps even worse than some of the run-down Best Western/Comfort Inn/Holiday Inn type hotels I've experienced during weekends on the road in the US.

This being my first trip to Israel, I was unaware of the high pricing and poor quality present in many of the direct-beachfront access hotels in Tel Aviv. I had high hopes for the Renaissance strictly because it was a Marriott property and we've generally had excellent experiences each time we stay with them. This building is tired, outdated, cramped and dirty.

All of the rooms are on a diagonal to the beachfront, so each (tiny) balcony does have a water view. Room ceilings are quite low and the hallways are so narrow it feels like you're stuck in a cruise ship interior. The walls are also quite thin, the sound of neighbours' door-slamming and hallway conversations kept us up all hours of the night and woke us early in the morning.

We were planned to stay 21 nights for a business trip but ended up making it 10 nights before changing accommodation. Our original room was cramped and the interior needed a serious facelift as the wallpaper was peeling, carpet/artwork dated and the bathroom covered in miserable salmon-colored marble straight from an 80's design magazine. This was a non-issue compared to being disturbed constantly by our neighbors having loud conversations in the hallway and repeatedly knocking on/slamming doors. We made a complaint to management and they graciously offered to move us to an "executive" room on the club floor. We were pleased at the gesture, however our new "updated" room was the exact same footprint as the old room, with the added bonus of black mold growing all over the air conditioning unit and the ceiling underneath the A/C. Our room was constantly damp and smoky... I suspect the "executive" room is smoked in often. I have severe allergies to mold so we had no choice but to change hotels. I was appalled at how unabashedly dirty this room was...on the flipside, I guess if there's mold in a hotel, I'd rather see a thick, black layer of it growing on the wall so I know exactly what I'm breathing in as I sleep.

The breakfast and amenities left much to be desired. I am not a fan of Kosher breakfast but it is the norm for Tel Aviv, so if you're gluten-free and don't want fish, cheese or vegetables for breakfast you may be out of luck here. There is no outdoor pool for lounging, just a run-down deck overlooking the beach with broken metal umbrellas. Overall, just a depressing and unhealthy stay.

I'm including a trigger warning here, as part of my stay involved witnessing a very sad and horrific beachfront incident so this may be a good place to stop reading if you are sensitive.

One morning, my breakfast mates and I sadly witnessed a person pass away on the beachfront after being rescued from the water. We were all very sad to watch paramedics and volunteers attempt CPR on this person. We immediately left the breakfast room after the incident. Most of the hotel staff who witnessed this were also upset. I went back to my room and had plans to meet someone (guest at another hotel) in the lobby two hours after the incident. Upon arriving in the lobby, I learned this poor person had been left in a body bag under two umbrellas directly outside of the lobby windows of the hotel!!!!!!! Apparently another staff member had alerted my friend as to what happened and pointed out the body bag...how incredibly disrespectful. I feel the hotel staff could've had a modicum of respect for this poor soul and worked with local authorities to move the person to a secure and private location. I was absolutely appalled by the treatment of this victim and unfortunately I think seeing this happen, along with witnessing the utter disrespect present in the aftermath will forever taint my view of this city and perhaps to a small extent, the populous (yes I know this is a blind generalization but as someone who has experienced a tragic loss this entire incident made me incredibly angry). I feel so heartbroken for this person's family.

The one positive we experienced was the service from front desk staff. Offering to change our room due to noise complaints was a very nice gesture. They were very pleasant with other requests... laundry, guest services etc were prompt and well done. The servers in the breakfast room were also friendly and attentive.

Overall, I feel Marriott should either demolish and completely rebuild this dingy excuse of a hotel, or sell it off from their brand entirely. It is a sad and embarrassing representation of an otherwise solid hotel chain. I do not plan on returning to Tel Aviv, but I do know now there are a few better hotel choices available after moving to the Dan Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Renaissance T, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Dear eirebella87,
Thank you for your constructive remarks.
We are on an ongoing process of room renovations.
We were sorry to read that your stay with us did not meet your expectations.
The unfortunate incident described in your comments happened at the Public beach in front of the hotel and was handled by the authorities.
We are not allowed to interfere with the work of the authorities .
We were very gratified to read your positive feedback about the service your received from the Front Desk and Restaurant staff.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our property in the future.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

Recently enjoyed a stay at the Renaissance. The staff was extremely helpful and professional--cannot say enough good things about them. The hotel itself is located right on the beach promenade (right on the beach) with great restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. all within a few steps. It was fantastic!

Oh, if you stay, I recommend including access to the executive lounge--it's a phenomenal view and is great for breakfast or when you want a snack. Perfect!

Room Tip: Definitely want to add Executive Lounge access to your stay.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Renaissance T, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Dear RollTide315,
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience and your kind words and appreciation. We hope to welcome you back to enjoy our hospitality again soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

stayed here last year with a great experience, so I returned back for business and found the place renovated with new modern rooms, and much more convenient. The Lounge continuous services and the lobby were great to run my business meetings and also used the conference room for a large session. The overall service is great by american standard, very friendly and comforting to get your business done. Parking is very convenient. During my time off, I stepped down to the beach and then used the SPA and indoor pool. what a great treat. The lobby Bar and restaurant served typical Israeli tasty food. The location of the hotel is in perfect location to access the various local industries, using the close local freeways. in summary, this is my best choice in town. can't wait to be back.

Room Tip: all rooms have ocean view, either north or south. I prefer overlooking the Old town of Jaffa.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank JAMESDot
Renaissance T, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2017

Dear JAMESDot,
Thank you for sharing this wonderful review, we work hard to make our guests happy and appreciate your feedback. We look forward to hosting you again at our hotel.

Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

Usually stay at the Dan during business trips. But had to move due to an over-booking fiasco with 10 other colleagues. Rooms were much better here than at the Dan. Everyroom has an amaxing view. Staff are much more nicer and friendlier. Well done to all at this hotel, really appreciated the welcome and friendly attitude after being horribly mistreated at another hotel!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Renaissance T, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2017

Dear David K,
Many thanks for sharing your lovely comments. We strive to provide the best service to our guests and truly appreciate your feedback.