Regis Hotel
US$380
US$312
galahotels.com
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 January 2011

The regis offers basic hotel rooms that are somewhat dated, but have functional bathrooms with hot water, and it is reasonably clean. At the going rate of $50 a night it is one of the cheaper hotels in Beirut, something to take into consideration when you are planning to stay in this hotel.

The staff are a bit variable - they seem uninterested at first, but when you ask for something they seem happy to oblige. There is free wifi access, but this only works in the lobby - the signal is too weak to be usable in any of the rooms.

There is a good heating system in place when you stay here in winter: central heating at night, and an aircon system that also has a heating function during daytime. I can only assume it also functions as a cooling system in summer.

In conclusion: I don't think this hotel is that bad considering the price, but if you want luxury, pay a bit extra for a different hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Regis Hotel is very well lcoated, near the corniche. And the owner is quite friendly. But the rooms were in a terrible state. And massively overpriced too. After 2 nights, we decided to move elsewhere, and found a much better hotel about a 10 min walk away. For an extra $3, we had a MUCH better room.

So NO, I would definitely not recommend Regis Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank saf166
Reviewed 24 June 2010

We stayed 5 nights at this hotel in mid-May. This was one of the worst hotels I have stayed in the last couple of years. The sheets did not feel clean nor were changed. One pillow cover had an adhasive bandage stuck to it, we did not want to think whose it was and how it could survive washing. Air conditioning did not work. The bathroom was plain dirty, and it was flooded after every shower (no shower curtain, and no proper drainage). The staff is definitely helpful but that alone is not enough. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trombosit
Reviewed 22 June 2010

Yes, I was an idiot. Yes, I carelessly left two US $50 bills on the table in my room although I had read the “rules” of the hotel, which included “we won't be responsible for any money or valuables left in the room”. Yes, I was naive, trusting, stupid, probably all three and not necessarily in that order, to not even think about the “rule” after three uneventful days in this hotel, when my laptop and belongings had been visible to the cleaner and still safe, and after having interacted with the hotel family staff in the most cordial manner. So when I got back into my room and noticed that the two US $50 bills have been transformed into two US $5 bills, well, I was shocked. The bed was not made but, as I noticed later, the litter bins had been emptied out, and since my room was locked, the only person or persons who could have actually entered the room were the cleaner or the hotel staff. I'm a budget traveller, I'm used to taking control of my travel finances, I know how much money I carry in my wallet when I get out of the hotel or hostel every morning, and how much I leave behind in the room or luggage, and I can tell the difference between a US $50 and a US $5 bill, not having had the latter during my whole week in Lebanon, a country which uses US dollars and Lebanese Pounds indistinctly, since I only got from the ATM's US $50 bills and always got the change in Lebanese pounds whenever I paid in restaurants or shops.

It was pretty obvious to me that someone had swapped the bills, and I couldn't prove it, sure, but the logical conclusion, since the room had been half-cleaned, was that the cleaner, if not a suspect, at least had indisputably been to my room. All these arguments had no impact whatsoever on the night receptionist or, the following morning, the hotel owner himself. The discussion turned, on their part, into a defence of the hotel employees' honesty, which is understandable, but I was honest, and respectful on my complaint, too. And a customer. Did I stand a chance, or have any rights for that matter? Nope. Some good words but a reminder of the “rules” of the hotel, the common sense I, as a traveller, should have, and no inquiry or action of any kind about what had happened from their part. I was defenceless. Why didn't I go to the police? The receptionist had warned me the night before that if I did that, I could have my passport withheld and fall into all sorts of unconvincing scenarios, but that wasn't the reason. Someone had stolen US $90 from me, it wasn't the end of the world, I didn't want to get the police involved and turn a minor theft into something nastier, I didn't even dream of seeing my two US $50 bills again. By then, I didn't want to. All I was asking for was some kind of recognition. Yes, respect.

And this leads to my point. Never mind Regis Hotel in Beirut or the fact that they couldn't care less about what had happened to one of their customers, nor will they ever do, according to their “rules”. It's about us, budget travellers. We contribute with our money to local economies, we don't stay in international hotel chains, we tend to explore local food stalls and restaurants, buy in local supermarkets and shops. We might not be big spenders or loaded tourists, but our money goes and hopefully stays locally. And, above all, we're not trash. Out of respect for ourselves, we should never let anyone, person or business, treat us as such. Enough of that.

So when you visit Beirut, which is a truly special, magnetic, wonderful city, and you decide to stay at Regis Hotel, bear in mind that they are an unaccountable business. Don't leave any money or anything important to you ‒anything at all, then?‒ in the room and you'll be OK, I guess. But when you enter their premises and read their “rules” at the reception desk, ask yourself if you deserve more respect and more accountability from someone whose services you're going to pay for. True, everything in this life is “take it or leave it”. Well, let's do us all a favour and start changing that. If a hotel which doesn't allow visitors and, therefore, the only people getting into your room apart from yourself are their own staff, but they don't feel responsible for them and don't make them accountable, is it worth staying at? Definitely not. Lesson learned. I'll keep on staying or calling in local businesses in my travels, but only in those ones which openly and clearly respect me, as a person and as a customer. Compromising for less is perpetuating that “take it or leave it” vicious circle, that shameless impunity of some businesses and people, and, most importantly, their despise and disrespect for us, budget travellers. Let's change our own mentality and ways, our more often tan not self-deprecating conformism, and businesses will follow.

Javier Moncayo
Barcelona, Spain

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank bcnmate
Reviewed 20 May 2010

The staff is particularly friendly and helpful, which was great since we needed information to plan day trips to other cities in Lebanon. Another pro is the free wireless internet at the lobby.
I guess that the bid down side is that they didn't make the the room in the whole 4 day stay. And don't expect too much from the rooms.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple