“Disappointing”

Ranked #25 of 40 Tours in Doha
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 25 April 2017

We were very disappointed. Our driver could not find where to pick us up, despite having VERY specific instructions - in fact, we walked to a local Lulu market to meet him and still had to wait. He drove fast (up to 150KMs) to the desert while using his mobile constantly. Once there, nothing was described or explained. For instance, we went to a compound, told we had 10 minutes, with no explanation of what it was, what to do or why we were there. At other times, we were dropped off, told we had 5 minutes and that was it. The tour was suppose to be from 2-6:00pm. We were back at the apartment by 5:30pm.

1  Thank dledrew2014

Reviewed 5 April 2016

I was surprised to read the negative reviews below after going on this trip. That said, we only went for the day and did not spend the night.

Before I begin, let me say the very good is from my student's POV. They thought it was awesome, most likely because of the dune rides. I thought it was fine until I started reflecting via this review. If tripadvisor had a "good" option, I would click that button. Average to very good it a pretty big jump.

The tour guide was friendly, but maybe a little too friendly at times because even my students started to notice he was being a little weird to me. They also would not let me or my female students run down the dunes for fun, but they had no problem letting our boys. (Cultural difference [by which I mean lack of gender equality education]?)

The dune thing (essentially hurdling over/down/across dunes) was fun...for the first 30 minutes. It went on so long. Way too long. The driver clearly knew what he was doing and at no point did we feel unsafe.

The camp was fun for the kids (15-17 years old), but I was pretty bored. It was cold (January) so dress accordingly. They surfed down some dunes for a while which was actually amusing. Then they tried to play volleyball with the only ball they had, a soccer ball. Then it was time for dinner, which was fine but nothing too memorable.

The tour was actually probably two hours shorter than we paid for. As teachers watching 10 students and hoping none of them would do anything to harm themselves, we were fine with this. But I could see some people being upset about not getting their money's worth. (As teachers we also didn't personally pay.)

Final note on the driver. He was on his phone the WHOLE time. Texting, calling, doing something while driving. And he had two phones. So I was pretty concerned about safety.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I went a full day desert safari it was very nice and we enjoyed the ride the food was very good and the camp sight was very clean and nice too .. I highly recommend it

5  Thank OlfY
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I think many people forget that Qatar is a desert country, preferring instead to concentrate on urban pleasures. That is OK, but, to really enjoy the country, one ought to blend the natural environment with man-made pleasures. At least in the more temperate months between November to April.
Taking a desert safari over-night expedition makes you realise the beauty and silent blackness the desert has to offer. According to me, the dune-bashing experience in Land-cruisers was only a pre-cursor to the over-night experience in the camp-site and the early morning the next day by the inland sea, where we paddled and enjoyed the serenity on offer.
I guess this is from a middle-aged, family-orintated perspective

6  Thank James F
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The first component of this overnight trip was a white-knuckle ride into the Qatar wilderness in modern Toyota 4x4s driven very competently by our Qatari Airways Pilot, Mohammed.
At no time did I feel in danger as we were thrown backwards and forwards into sideways drifts, wheel spins and crazy descents down and across the stunning Desert landscape.
We stopped for some photo opportunities and didn't feel rushed to get back in the cars.
This was the highlight of the trip, if only it lasted longer-we were picked up at 1400, packed and on the road by 1415 for the 45 min plus trip out to the edge of the sand dunes.
Sunset in early January is around 1630 so you get barely 90 mins to see the wild landscapes.
I feel an earlier pick up facilitating a longer time spent amongst the Dunes with perhaps a little bit of Natural History thrown in and a snack stop would make this part of the trip really worth it.
The second half of the trip was less than brilliant.
The overnight seaside camp was fairly run down, looking like a post-Apocalyptic Mad Max scene when we rocked up. Our party of nine had the place to ourselves but we were hardly waited on hand and foot. A little more hospitality instead of certain party members being harangued for cash handouts would go a long way.
It was a cold onshore wind but the hosts refused to light the FirePit which was decidedly strange.
Food was very basic but at least it was cooked. Tea/Coffee and cold drinks were very basic: a cooler of soft drink cans and bottled water and a kettle with packets of instant coffee and carton milk arranged haphazardly on a table top.
Unfortunately they ran out of coffee packets for us for breakfast and with only a party of nine,
I feel that's unacceptable considering how much the trip cost individually.
The place needed a good tidy up with litter and plastic bags surrounding the camp, and taking all this into account, I can't really recommend this camp for Overnight trips but highly recommend the Dune Bashing if it is available without the Camp component.

7  Thank Kenneth S