I have been out of the middle east for three years and am now used to good North American service rather than overbearing middle eastern service so my comments are mostly about this. I hope management accepts this gift of feedback and turns a good hotel with annoying service into a great one ! This review is more management feedback I guess than it is for other travellers.
Comments on room
- room nice, moving wall to bathroom a very cool surprise, almost perfect design had you thought of one thing - how to lie in the bath and watch tv ? Had this been achieved by opening up the two rooms then it would have made so much more sense, opportunity lost I guess
- square toilet - the human anatomy is not shaped the same as the bowls which makes for uncomfortable sitting - looks nice but impractical
- bed comfortable and spacious
- storage drawers too small to be useful, echo the fire risk concern about the light in the hangers, if the door was left ajar and the light therefore left on then this could overheat - bad design needs rectified in my view
- linens, very nice
- great shower with rainforest or moving head gives options
- toiletries high quality
- oh my god work to do here - hugely overbearing with clearly too little to do
- whilst writing this review and the previous one three people have bothered me in my room - leave me alone please ! Two for the same thing, minibar which I haven' touched
- get minibar checks to happen during the day not in the evening bothering people
- check in, no you can't keep my passport for 15 mins, take the details you need now and give me it back
- hangers on around reception, please stop trying to grab my bag from me or walking me somewhere, direct me then leave me alone !
- stop leaving the tv on when turning down service, waste of electricity
Restaurant - this needs a section all on its own its so flawed in design and service
- if it's a buffet then stop offering people something they could have got themselves
- Drop the bill on the table rather than chasing people when they'be left already
- Egg service takes twice as long as it should
- Egg service chefs need to understand english
- stop bothering people, stand at the side and watch for who needs help rather than hang around them at the buffet or table - hugely annoying
- cut down the number of visible staff by half so they don't hang around you
- le cruset type serving dishes, no logical place to put the covers and not possible to hold if you have your plate in the other hand
- don't bring a basket of bread when bread is on the buffet
- coffee cafitierres, too much coffee being put in so too strong and poor quality so filters leak giving gritty coffee
- awkward for cold drinks - may look nice to have small bottles to pour from but just provide the same three or four chilled dispensers as other hotels that makes it easy for the user to get cold juice or water without having to wait for a waiter to bring it
- seriously stop asking me if I need anything, I am capable of asking if I do
- no way of making own toast, get the impression that clean inks in the restaurant is more important to management than being able to get what you need easily for breakfast
- Food is really good but is spoilt by poor ergonomics and annoying service
- lunch buffet really great food with same annoying service, just leave people along to enjoy it
I have found the service so overly fawning, yet inattentive when I actually need service and trying too hard that it has spoiled my stay here - my advice to other travellers is to stay elsewhere until the service here matches the decor. Other serious negative for me is honesty - should have made it totally clear that hotel was not serving alcohol on the website.
I was looking forward to some exemplary service and a great place, got the great place with shockingly bad service and was really disappointed. Three stars is generous, almost gave it a poor rating ! Take heed management please, your customers deserve better and will vote with their feet unless you dramatically change how your staff interact with customers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opened in the first quarter 2012, the Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche (part of Capital Plaza building) is ideally situated in the heart of the city, close to the seafront and the business and financial center. It enjoys a privileged location on Corniche Road, one of the most prestigious district. The maritime centre Port Zayed, the Souk, famous for its rugs and Dhow Harbour, home to the traditional transport and fishing boats which still take to the waters of the Arabian Gulf, are all a short distance from the hotel. The hotel offers all the services of a world-class French establishment, blending its origins with the best of the Oriental influences: butler service and executive lounge access (Club Millesime) for club rooms and suites, and the famous MyBed concept and Bose wave in all rooms. Each of the rooms offer breathtaking views over city and Arabian Gulf. Additionally, the hotel offers 3 signature restaurants and 3 bars, a pool, a spa and wellness space and 9 meeting rooms. A ballroom can also welcome up to 1000 visitors and therefore host any kind of events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.