“I'm surprised”

Iron Horse BBQ
Ranked #7 of 39 Restaurants in Atchison
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 14 May 2016 via mobile

Growing up in KC you aquire high expectations for your BBQ dishes. This little place (hard to see) was very surprising. We ordered the family plate (no subsitutes) which came with brisket (didn't like how thinly sliced it was), turkey, pulled pork, 1/4 slab ribs and sausage. Four sides, baked beans, coleslaw, potato salad, krinkle french fries and two sides of toast. Such a great deal all of this food (feeds 3-4) for a decent price!
Every thing was seasoned well and the meats were not dried out instead very moist...all of them.
But before that even came out we ordered one of the three appetizers (can't remember name) it wasn't amazing but it was good comfort food for sure. These little fried potatoes smothered in your choice of pork or beef (we got beef) topped with shredded cheese, mmmmn.
It was a little dry but that's okay because there are for sauces to choose from that really took this dish to the next level.

Date of visit: May 2016
2  Thank Desirae H

Reviewed 8 February 2016

I love the food at Iron Horse! I've never been a huge BBQ fan, but I recently found out I had a dairy allergy so I had to look for food options with minimal dairy. I started going to Iron Horse and it turns out I had totally been missing out! The food here is amazing! My personal faves are the pulled pork and the fried pickles. The baked beans are super tasty too!

Date of visit: January 2016
1  Thank Becky A
Reviewed 11 December 2015

I have eaten here several times and have found the food to be very good. There is a great flavor with all of their smoked meats and their sauces are also well done. The restaurant itself is what I would call a hole-in-the-wall but you go there for the food. I highly recommend this place for a nice BBQ meal.

Date of visit: December 2015
1  Thank thegoob60
Reviewed 23 September 2015

My wife and I stopped here for lunch as part of a Glacial Hills tour of northeast Kansas. We didn't want fast food, so we used the TripAdvisor app to find some other choices. On a side street, and not signed very well, the restaurant is a hodgepodge of mismatched tables and chairs, and doesn't really have much in the way of décor. But it seemed clean (including the restroom) and the smoky smell told us we might be in for a treat. It's the food that counts, and on this point, everything was spot on. While the menu was about what you'd expect for a BBQ place, the Saturday special caught our eye. Pulled pork dinner with two sides and Texas toast for--wait for it--only $8.99. We had our doubts, having eaten in who knows how many BBQ joints over the last 35 years, including most of the famous names. But it was all good. Lots of pulled pork piled high and served warm, not under- or over-smoked but just right. Great BBQ beans with lots of meat, acceptable cole slaw (too heavy on the Miracle Whip though), and surprisingly good corn on the cob. Three sauces were available, Original (supposed to be spicy but not so much), Sweet and Smokey (my favorite of the three) and Carolina mustard style, which we told the server she didn't even have to leave that on the table. While a seemingly minor thing, a warm, properly toasted piece of Texas toast really rounded out the meal. It's the small details like the toast that turn a four-star rating into five. And what a great value. Food was quick to come out, as it should in a BBQ place. But, by the time we were finished, the place had filled up considerably and the lone server was having a tough time keeping up. But she had a great attitude and knew how to juggle running food, refilling drinks, taking orders, etc.

On the way out, I caught her and told her that we'd eaten BBQ all over, and this place need make no apologies. We will definitely eat at Iron Horse again on our next pass through Atchison. My mouth is practically watering as I write this...

Date of visit: September 2015
1  Thank KSUBaker
Reviewed 20 September 2015

My husband and I drove past Iron Horse BBQ twice while looking specifically for it. It's hidden in plain sight right on the street, but the sign is modest, let's say. I noticed the red neon OPEN sign before I could see *what* was open. The delicious smoky smells that greeted us as soon as we walked in the door confirmed our decision to find this place. There is plenty of parking along the street.

We decided long ago that when trying a new BBQ place we would have ribs. If the ribs are good, we may return again if the location is right for us. The ribs we had here were really meaty, moist, and delicious even before adding any sauce. Three sauces were available, an original spicy which was not too spicy, a sweet and smoky Kansas City style sauce, and a mustard/vinegar Carolina sauce. I liked all three, but thought the spicy or the sweet and smoky was the best choice for ribs.

As a person with a smaller appetite, I like that Iron Horse offers a quarter slab of ribs as well as the more typical half slab and full slab. Prices were reasonable.

Service was quick and pleasant. The sides were average, nothing special but not bad.

We will return sometime to try the pulled pork, which has gotten good reviews.

The restaurant itself is interesting, with lots of railroad memorabilia on view. Wandering the seating area is a great way to pass the couple of minutes it takes to get your order.

Date of visit: September 2015

Been to Iron Horse BBQ? Share your experiences!