“Fabulous location, no toothbrush, intermitten wifi”
Review of Metro Hotel

Metro Hotel
Ranked #12 of 500 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Was influenced by tripadvisor and decided to give Metro a shot. Stayed from 4-6 April 2012 @ room 512.
Location was fabulous and easily accessible. It was in the heart of Myeongdong, but away from the busy areas so you don't feel suffocated once you leave the hotel premises.
The room was comfortable. A bit on the small side, but given the central location, it was worth it.
The wifi though free, was intermitten. With the majority of the time unable to connect even though there was a signal. The other surprise was that the provided toiletries didn't include disposable toothbrush and toothpaste. I think this may be the case for all Korean hotels as i just checked into another hotel and there is no toothbrush as well. So do remember to BYO.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank danmono
There are newer reviews for Metro Hotel

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Excellent location. I actually really miss this place. Friendly service. Our wifi was really bad. Kept disconnecting but usable with laptop just not good via phone. Maybe the laptop wifi receiver is better. Didn't bother much since most of the time we were out anyways. And what more can you ask since its free. Most 5 stars hotel don't even provide free wifi! Location is excellent. Just nearby to this place you must try the porridge place, the donkatsu down the road and andong chim dak.
Excellent!

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My title said it all ! My wife and I stayed in Metro from 24 march 2012 and checkout on the 27th.
Love the location, Love the bed, Love the bathroom, Love the service and Love the rates.
For all Asian travelers, especially Singaporeans like myself, you can't really fault this hotel even i was assigned to a smoking room,except for two things !
Here goes,
1) The 10% service tax for all hotel in Seoul, I really hate it. Guesthouse accommodation in seoul are flat rate with no service tax whatsoever.
2) The breakfast ! Yes I know there are a lot of restaurant in myeongdong area, but you guys out there who know we Asians, especially singaporean like myself. We love to have a so called buffet breakfast in hotel before we proceed out for sight seeing or a shopping spree. The breakfast in metro hotel is a great let down. Don't expect sausage , bacon and ham, don't expect sunny side up, scrample egg, omlette, baked beans/potatoes. Metro only has cerel, yogurt, milk, packet fruit juice, soup, bread, coffee and tea. Seriously if you are a vegetarian, the breakfast would be great, but I am an English breakfast kind of guy, i would rather catch up with my sleep in the room than heading to the 9th floor for breakfast. Metro might have a strict policy in hiring chef, who knows !
Overall I would still stay in metro hotel when I visit Seoul in 2013.
IMHO, Metro hotel is the right choice of hotel for all typical Chinese Singaporeans, of course except for the two pointers written above, which you might do some consideration.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kenji_suppitsu
skysong, Sales & Marketing Team Manager at Metro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

Dear Mr/Ms Kenji_suppitsu

Greetings from Metro hotel.
Thank you for staying with us and your time to write a review on the tripadvisor.
We are glad to know that you loved the area-Myeongdong and Metro hotel.

Thank you for your comment about our rates. We keep the same reasonable rate during a whole year, even on a high season and holidays for all the customers.
Also, we are very sorry to learn that you were not happy with our breakfast buffet. We have addressed your comment concerning our breakfast with our F&B team to find a way for betterment. Regarding to tax issue, please kindly understand that there is 10% of V.A.T to follow the current government policy and we apologise for the inconveniences.

Once again, we appreciate your review and look forward to welcoming you at Metro hotel again in next year.

Thank you very much.

Warmest regards
Sky Song

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Stayed at standard c room (rm 808, my parents at rm 814) with a view of Myeongdong street scene below.

Small bedroom with double bed, one-seater couch with matching coffee table, TV, working/vanity table, luggage rack and separate Japanese-style toilet and bath. Very clean, and cozy enough for two. I was pleasantly surprised that the room was not as small as I expected.

Located in very busy Myeongdong shopping district—but hotel front is not as crowded as others (e.g., Savoy and Skypark) in the area, which is a good thing. About 1-2 blocks from Nanta Theater (4 playful characters on the loose in kitchen; reserve online to get 10% discount). If you intend to explore the area further, Deoksugung Palace, and Namsan cable car station to N Tower are within walking distance. Namdaemun market, Lotte Department Store and Lotte Young Plaza, and Shinsegae are also nearby.

Free breakfast had limited food options, but good enough for me. I liked the yogurt and poppy seed bun.

Lobby had very limited seats for waiting. Hotel had one small elevator, but seemed sufficient when we were there.

Everyone was courteous and helpful, esp. Emily.

Made our stay in Seoul really pleasant. Everyone in our family was satisfied.

Would recommend to budget-conscious travelers visiting Seoul for shopping and sightseeing.

Stayed March 2012, travelled with family.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank eric_sp

Dear Mr/Ms eric_sp

Thank you for staying with us.
All of us are glad to hear that you and your family had a great time in Seoul and especially at Metro hotel.
We have noted your comment about the elevator and seats in the lobby. We apologise for any inconvenience this caused you. We will keep this in our plan when we have a chance to renovate these area.
We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed our homemade yogurt and sesame seed bun on the breakfast menu. I will pass this message to the kitchen and will also seek ways of variety of menu.
Regarding to Emily, I totally agree with you. Thank you very much for mentioning which will give us (especially Emily) a great motivation.

We look forward to seeing you again at Metro hotel in the future.
Thank you very much.

Warmest regards
Sky Song

Reviewed 28 March 2012

My choice of hotel was greatly influenced by Trip Advisor.

As per the other reviews this hotel is in a good location and on a comparative basis the cost is ok. I opted for one of the more expensive rooms with a double bed. I wouldn't have wanted to be in anything smaller!

I am travelling around Asia so the washing machine on the 7th Floor came in handy.

Breakfast is boring and the hotel could try a bit harder in this department.

My only other "winge" would be in relation to the Internet. The wi-fi was painfully slow (for Korea) and it kept loosing my connection. In Taipei at the moment and the connection in my hotel here is exceedingly good......hopefully nationalistic pride will encourage you guys at the Metro to get you wi-fi up to "korean" standards!!

Room Tip: If you are travelling light use the Metro (check the hotel web site for more information). Fast and...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo