This is a quite difficult hotel to review because it is a little symptomatic of Egyptian tourism in general. You will note that a lot of the higher ratings come from guests who re from Egypt so their perspective on international accommodation is potentially a little skewed.
An impressively built and grand hotel but let down on many fronts by the service and attention to quality. The people are lovely and very willing but their understanding of international level customer service is lacking. The hotel needs to invest in internationally recognised hospitality training for its staff.
So we stayed at the Al-Masah for 5 nights because of its proximity to the Stadium complex (which is a whole story in itself!) and because of the high level of security afforded by a military owned hotel. The Al-Masah delivered on those aspects. However the following things were below expected standards:
- check in was slow and tedious and only made bearable by our interpreter.
- rooms are comfortable but small and furnishings average.
- room service was well below standard and never delivered on time always requiring a second call to ask when it was coming - by which time everything was cold.
- the wifi was 3rd world speed and kept dropping out.
- the only English speaking tv channel was BBC News. Every Sport channel was football only.
- the swimming pool opens late morning and closes early evening and this seem to vary on the whim of the operators. Not much good when you are out doing tourist stuff all day and then cant have a swim in the pool at the end of the day.
- it is a "dry" (alcohol free) hotel. Not a game breaker for us but worth knowing before you go.
- the hotel seems to be used almost every night for weddings so all attention is given to them and not the staying guests.
- time is a relative term in Egypt and certainly this applies to the service which is neither prompt or efficient. However dont think that doesnt mean they expect a tip - even when your room service turns up an hour late and cold!!
On the positive side the people are friendly, the breakfast and dinner restaurants are good with some very good food and the gardens and walled grounds very well maintained and beautiful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- You are invited to escape the noise and the pollution and to enjoy the peaceful atmosphere on Al Masah spectacular heights. While sitting under a pergola surrounded by the stunning nature enjoy beverage of choice that are served to match the moment.It is the spot for a quiet,contemplative moment where you can enjoy the tranquility of the environment.In a one-of-a-kind experience, imagine your self hiking along one of the most beautiful ridge walks in the green foothills of one of switzerland's great mountains ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Al-Masah Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.