“What happened?”

Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino
Ranked #8 of 141 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Within the past 20 years we were frequent guests of the hotel, sometimes we stayed overnight and sometimes we just came for the marvelous breakfast or a lunch / dinner in their garden promenade. The last 2 years we haven't been there, we had booked a room for one night and were received in a professional way at check in. The room was perfect and our wish to have a Nile view , was fulfilled . The complete opposite their Food and beverage department.What happened? A very poor club sandwich arrived to our table with cold, burnt fries and too late served drinks. We payed 250 Egyptian pound for 2 sandwiches and a small water and a tonic water. Which equals £25 or € 35. I wouldn't mind paying that for a perfect service and a tasty sandwich but just returning from London, I felt , no it can't be, their costs of staff and food supply, rent is far not reaching as what London hotels would have to pay in that category and that location . A disaster was the breakfast buffet which was in former times the best in cairo, with a variety of bread, rolls pastry , a Japanese corner and Egyptian items at its best. Low quality egyptian luncheon and sausages were presents on white platters, arranged poorly and half of the spaces at the buffet were empty and left in dark. The chef put the fried eggs on cold plates and worked messy in front of the clients, the coffee and teapots were dirty and asking for Tea I was given a/one tea bag in my hand with Luke warm water in a Thermos. Sorry the standard of the Palace is not up to date..please do something , cairo shouldn't loose that great place with this great history

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank sunshineEgypt
Write a ReviewReviews (2,411)

Reviewed 6 September 2012

I am so impressed about this Hotel The rooms are clean and comfortable and the staff is courteous and responds quickly to your needs...There is absolutely no better place to stay than this hotel.The room was very nice and had everything that we needed. The decor in the room was absolutely marvelous it has an Egyptian feel as well as modern energy The Nile river view was in an amazing site .I cant wait to return on my next vacation.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Aliyah871
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino., we are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace in the near future.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

i would rate this hotel lower, however the dinner in the ilalian restaurant proved to be so good that i bumped up my review of the hotel overall based on this. the service in the restaurant was also much bette than the rest of the hotel. Internet in the room can be free if you have a cable/ethernet connection. It is 2012, wifi should be standard in hotels. I will never understand why i have to bring a cord or go pay at the business center. Also, it is 2012, why does this hotel not have flat screen tvs? the tv appeared to be from the 1980s. I needed to use a phone to clear up an issue and could not use a phone anywhere in the hotel or my room without being charged $3/min or more. I finally spoke to a manger who said i could dial from my room, of course at check out this was on my bill. I had to get that resolved. The bed was very hard and my room smelled. Its little difference around the world in levels of service that wil make you appreciate a certain area more than others. For instance the breakfast buffet, while having a good selection and good food, would be out of stock by 9am. They didnt think to replenish or maybe ran out? there was no bowls, no buter, no jelly. The location was nice and some rooms have a view of the Nile. The pool are gardens are a nice retreat from the noise of the city. I did not venture into the Casino so i can not review it. There is a 24 hour bank on the property which makes converting money a bit easier. Not sure how good the conversion rate was, but for ease it was good. The hotel common areas are decorated lavishly, and truely make you feel like you are in ancient Egypt. My only wish is service was a bit nicer and room a bit cleaner. Found a few hairs in the shower that were not mine.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank bebedani
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback, and I am very sorry that you did not have a good experience with us during your last stay. We at Marriott strive for excellence and can only improve with your comments. I would very much welcome a discussion with you on the issues that you had with us, and please do contact me on emy.elshourbagi@marriott.com.

Kind regards

Reviewed 29 August 2012

This was first time in Cairo and my stay at the Marriott was excellent, the interior of the main palace is exotic and you can feel the history.The room was well furnished and spacious enough for my business trip. The gym was well equipped although a little small, the pool was large enough to have a good swim. The restaurants are expensive however if you eat the local cuisine then it is manageable. Breakfast is good, plenty to chose from continental, Arabic or a mix bag if you wish.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Alan O
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We take our customer feedback of utmost importance and would like to assure you that we continue to benchmark all our pricing against the market and updates are made accordingly.

Thanking you again for your valuable comments and we look forward to welcome you back to the Palace in the near future.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

As luxurious as they get. Been in Cairo for the 3d time this was the best hotel so far. Luxury everywhere, friendly and well trained staff, fantastic food spatious rooms with fantastic view. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Malkom T
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Dear Mr. Malkom,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, we are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace in the near future.