Lowest prices for your stay
US$156
View deal
Hotels.com
US$156
View deal
TravelocityUS$156
Destinia.com
Orbitz.comUS$156
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 August 2007

We stayed her in July. I must say at first I was disapointed as the weather was rubbish. It was raining heavily when we landed! As the week got on though it was very hot. Sometimes cloudy so the sun couldn't get through. Overall nice weather though.
As you drive to the hotel you will be amazed just how poor people are. I spent the whole journey keeping a beady eye on my suitcase which was tied to the bus roof! and watching the locals!
Hotel is very basic, but then what do you want from Kenza The Ritz! Rooms are old fashioned and chintzy but your only in them to sleep! Towels clean but musty smelling. So take extra one's for bathing. Staff are so nice. They earn 15 pound a month! We were always tipping them. Sometimes even as small as 20p and they were very grateful.
If you get an opportunity ask Big Tony to take you to the orphanage he supports. We went to the supermarket beforehand to buy pens, pencils and notebooks etc. The children were so pleased. It was very tearful for me & Libby!
Don't be scared to go out at night. The Rep puts you off but if you go to and from the bars via taxi you will be fine. Go to Black Havana it's good. We were the only white people in there but felt very at ease.
DO NOT buy your safari from the Rep. He charges over 200 pound more. Go down to see Ali on the beach. I know you will probably think - I am not buying off a man in a beach hut but go inside and check his reviews out. He is so cheap but yet so friendly and will do anythng for you. You get more game drives with him for such a good price. Do not be put off what the Rep says about buying on the beach.
You get hassled alot by the beach boys to buy something. Just say I am going for a walk I will come back later!
Beware you have to pay an entry visa. You can only pay in US Dollars or Euro's. We only had Kenyan shillings and had to go to the exchange centre in the airport and it cost 16 pound to exchange! There is also an exit visa! This is payable in Kenyan shillings.

Date of stay: July 2007
2  Thank LilyAndo
Reviewed 23 March 2007

This hotel is ok if you are using it as a base but I would not stay here for two weeks if i was only doing a short safari as there simp0ly isn't enough to do. Also I thought the standard of hygiene in the hotel was poor to say the least. The room was basic which I am generally happy with but the room simply wasn't clean. The fridge was filthy, the bath disgusting and there was mould on the ceilings. Also at one point we had a leak in the shower, toilet and there was water coming through the ceiling (not good when your on the loo.) Although to there credit they fixed it quick. It is a hotel in need of a facelift. The grounds are lovely (although the pool was also in my opinion dirty) and the staff are really friendly it is just the hotel that is the issue. I also thought the food was hit and miss. There was a bbq night but to be honest me and my boyfriend ate nothing as it was all cold and undercooked.My advice get there at 7.30pm when they start serving.Also the animation team were friendly and did there best but the entertainment was poor to say the least However it is cheap and suppose you get what you pay for. The safari we went on on the other hand was AMAZING!!!! We went with KenyanAdventures who are the best firm I have ever done a trip with. Professiona, Friendly and cheap (we did a three night/four day safari which would have cost £100 with the reps.) We did Tsavo West, East and Ambolesi (excuse the spelling. ) Best advice if there is only one park you can go to go the Ambolesi. You see far more here then at Tsavo we saw 3 sets of lions at this park. Also stay at Ol Tukai lodge it is amazing!!!!! Tsavo West is also worth going to for black rhinos (Saw 2 the first one's seen in a month!!!) and stay at Ngulia lodge, they put meat out for a leopard and it is truley a sight to behold. So finally my advice is go on Safari with KenyanAdventures (ask for Suri as your driver he always made sure we had a good position for photos) don't go th Mombasa Beach, stay at the Voyager it is the best hotel on the coast.

Date of stay: March 2007
4  Thank Dramaqueen51
Reviewed 21 March 2007

Got back from Mombasa Beach Hotel yesterday and I'm missing it already!
As soon as we got there we were made to feel so welcome. People came out with cold drinks and cool flannels for us as soon as we got off the bus. The rooms we fairly nice but quite basic. We did have a tv and got a fridge as soon as we asked for one. Every room had a balcony with a sea view. We booked 2 weeks half board but we were told when we checked in that because we were there for 2 weeks they had upgraded us to full board. The food was good. Breakfast wasnt really too exciting but at lunch and dinner there was always a good selection. Check the chicken if you get it though because ours wasnt cooked a couple of times. The pool was ok. They had a bit of trouble with the chlorine which was solved quickly and they were painting the area when we left which needed doing. The animation team were brilliant. They always come over and see how you are and try and get you involved with the activities. If you do go you need to find Richard and Frodo. We booked our safari with the rep although there were plenty off offers from other people at the beach bar. We went to Tsavo East for 1 night which was plenty of time. We had 3 2hour game drives and saw Elephants, Zebra, Giraffe, Gazelle and a pride of Lions with 3 cubs. I would definately recommend this holiday. The locals are friendly and we met some great people. Hi 2 Tim, Vicky, Neil and Becca.

Mike + Sarah

Date of stay: March 2007
5  Thank NorthWalesMike
Reviewed 5 March 2007

The hotel is extremely clean throughout. The rooms are basic although there is a tv. Make sure you ask for a safety deposit box and a fridge the minute you arrive. We asked an hour or so after we arrived and they had all gone. We did ask for a fridge but it never materialised. Gardens around the hotel were lovely and you occasionally saw a few monkeys although they didnt bother anyone.
The hotel is above the most beautiful beach and during week days it is more or less deserted. At weekends the local kids come to play football and swim, they are very chatty and friendly.

The staff are all lovely and friendly. We travelled with My Travel on a half board basis. The evening meals became a bit mundane by the end of the week but they have a bbq at the beach bar and bar food (at extra cost) and the burgers and fish were really good. We met and became friendly with 2 other couples while we were there. My husband and the four others became ill during the holiday with bad stomach bugs which all lasted for 2 weeks after our return. I was fine because I was very careful about what I ate and drank. Only drink bottled water from sealed bottles, dont have ice in your drink. Dont eat salad (they wash it in the local water) dont eat cooked vegetables which you suspect are not freshly cooked and piping hot. In fact eat only meats piping hot. Dont eat dairy products.

Entertainment in the evening is mostly african dancers. There is a disco at the beach bar, but that was very quiet. There were never many people in the swimming pools which didnt look very healthy to me.

Mombasa is not the sort of place you can go out walking around in the evening so be prepared to stay in the hotel unless you are prepared to get a taxi everywhere and there are a few of you. You are pestered everywhere you go to buy something, but in saying that there are no beggars.

We went on the 2 day safari which was fantastic but very tiring. We also booked it with Joe at the hotel, I can totally recommend his service for price and excellent service he will really look after you.

I have been to many places around the far east and I must admit that this is the only place I have been to so far where I didnt feel safe going out. There are guards on the gates of the hotels and houses around the area have huge electrified fences around them.

To sum up the holiday. The beach and safari was fantastic but you must remember that it is a poor country and nothing is luxurious.

Date of stay: February 2007
5  Thank Gillcaddick
Reviewed 3 March 2007

We booked this holiday after a travel agent enquired "how does Kenya sound" when we were looking for a late deal to the Carribean, we went home , pondered over it and went back and booked our first trip to Africa.

I am so glad we did, we both had a fantastic holiday at the Mombasa Beach Hotel, we had to change rooms on our second day due to a lack of water in our shower, they moved us to a suite which was lovely. We asked could we have a fridge and imediately they sent a member of staff up with a frige, the staff were so helpful, and always with a smile on their face.

Hotel could do with a refurb but otherwise it was clean and comfortable, but then again we only used the hotel to eat and sleep in, too busy enjoying the local life etc

Mombasa Town really manic but you have to visit it at least once, even if to see Moi Avenue where the tusks are and Fort Jesus.

People warn you about being hassled on the beach, it was nothing horrid, just the locals hoping you would buy some of their carvings etc, when we told them we had just arrived and would look later they would leave you alone.

People will offer you safaris on the beach, be careful but don;t say NO, we booked a safari from a man called Joe who used to be at our pool bar most day, we were apprehensive at first but he introduced us to other hotel residents that had travelled on safari through him and I have to say our safari was fantastic, the only animals we missed were the rhino and the leopard, we seen a lion after he had just killed a zebra , the whole carcass was still in the bushes. If you book through Joe you will have a really good trip, he even phones the guide to see how you are, whilst you are on your trip.

What can I say, we had a fantastic trip, was sorry that we didn't take more photos, even though we took about 200. This was the best holiday we have ever been on overall, safari included. Wouldn't go back to Kenya thou, fancy South Africa next.

Date of stay: February 2007