“Peking Duck & Entertainment - a great combination”

Huajia Yiyuan (Hua's Restaurant)
Ranked #34 of 12,787 Restaurants in Beijing
Price range: US$10 - US$75
Cuisines: Chinese, Street Food
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Beijing Workers' Sports Complex
Reviewed 22 September 2017

Invited to dinner here tonight by local friend - she lives close by yet had never been here previously.

What a great night - the venue is a traditional Chinese courtyard building - kept mostly to the original concept yet probably seats 400 or more people. We arrived around 5.30pm..ordered our meal - enjoyed the dishes, particularly the Peking Duck - making our own crispy duck meat rolls with thin wrap and delicious sauces and traditional ingredients - very good.

At 7.30pm the entertainment started, with a juggler, contortionist, Peking Opera Singer, a balloon actress making animal and funny shapes for kids in the audience - interestingly she made a balloon then came across to give to my friend - what fun.

The piece de 'resistance was the face - what an energetic actor - he changed faces ten or more times - he interacted with the audience...it had everybody enthralled.

As we left the crowds waiting outside for this restaurant and others were huge...we are glad we came to dine here tonight.

This is a place worth a visit.

Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

I came here on the recommendation of TripAdvisor it was easy to find but you have to make sure you go through the right entrance which is next to the lobster statue on the left hand side. The lady at the door gives you a card and you walk in to be shown at your table. Downstairs seems to be the best place to be as they have a show that starts at 8am which features acrobats. They also have a selection of rather unique food including insects on a stick but I'm not sure if that's part of the take out or midnight snack food they offer rather than the main restaurant. The building inside is massive and a bit like a maze but has beautiful architecture. The staff are very helpful and welcoming and though we can't speak Chinese they found a waitress who spoke to us in English, advising us which dishes contained meat for my vegetarian friend as well as on portion size which we were soon to find out were generous and very filling! I ordered braised pork belly, fried lotus roots mixed with pork meat, yangzhou fried rice and braised turtle. Each dish came out as it was made first was the pork belly which was the best I've ever tasted juicy and succulent the fat literally melted and dissolved in my mouth. You get 9 pieces of pork belly with pak choi so it's a good dish for sharing as the pieces are quite heavy. Next was the fried lotus served with a salt dip and tomato ketchup which I wasn't expecting. This was quite nice but probably something I'd order with a dim sum. These were extremely filling. Next was the braised turtle which originally I didn't realise was the turtle. It was served in a beautiful small bowl with rice, in fact the portion of turtle was incredibly small but I suppose this was a delicacy, also I had ordered the smallest portion and with the other food it was more than enough for me and an exciting new dish to try. The turtle itself tasted like a mixture of beef and lamb and had that fatty texture and taste you get with lamb which went very well with the rice it was served on. I feel with this meal each dish has been carefully thought through and the presentation of each dish was excellent; every bowl was unique and matched the food extremely well. The rice which was served last was very delicious though by then I was quite full. To accompany all this I ordered Yanjing beer which went quite well with the meat and had a tangy flavour. Overall this was a fantastic introduction to authentic Chinese food and our first evening in Beijing. The only criticism I would have is that I would have preferred all dishes to be served at once, but that's a personal preference and I understand and appreciate the benefits of food being served as soon as its cooked. I will definitely be coming here again and trying new and exotic dishes.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

This is for Macao Centre 55 Beixinqiao branch of the chain. Upstairs in a commercial block. Great entrance. we came as a Viking Tour group. Lazy Susan dining experience. Decent food, plenty of drinks. The Peking Duck well cooked, sliced and served at your table. Expensive for what it was.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

This was a complete surprise for me - such an assuming street frontage - although very pretty lit up at night.

Walk through the winding alleyway & past some other interesting dining areas & food stalls - you get to the main restaurant at the rear of the alley.

The food selection we made was super varied, and very, very flavorsome.
We got as many dishes as we we could try within our group - the presentation, aroma, freshness & of course flavors were really, very good.
Maybe many of the dishes were more Shanghai than they were true Beijing inspired -
but to be truthful - most diners here wont care about that.

If you are looking for a great place to eat with a small group, family or friends - this is definitely worthwhile trying.

The service was super efficient and fast - maybe a little too much so - the food kept coming - too bad if you didn't have space on the table - or even finished eating... the service was relentless!

I would definitely recommend this to others.

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

Duck is delicious and yum! However, service is too slow and poor. We waited for a long time watching waiters passing by , but no one asked if we are ready to order. When we said we wanted to order, the answer is cold "wait ". No one came afterwards and we had to call the waiter again and again. Terrible!

Been to Huajia Yiyuan (Hua's Restaurant)? Share your experiences!