“Interesting experience in a historical building ”

Huajia Yiyuan (Hua's Restaurant)
Ranked #34 of 12,787 Restaurants in Beijing
Price range: US$10 - US$75
Cuisines: Chinese, Street Food
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Beijing Workers' Sports Complex
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

The front door and the decorations of this restaurant are the highlights.Full of chinese elements,traditional architecture.

Better to book in advance at night,usually fully booked.If you want to watch the show,better to reserve the seats in front of the stage.

The show starts at 8pm every night.Before the show,there will be chinese musical performance.

The real show lasts for 35 mins,first begins with a guy blowing the dough into a ball,the 2nd show is a guy playing with the tea pot to pour the water combines with kung fu tricks.The 3rd one is a guy playing the longevity noodles.The 4th one is a guy playing the traditional trick a of changing mask.And the last one is sth about magic.

We ordered the signature dish,chicken,soup,spicy chicken,deep fried lotus root with meat,almond milk pudding and mashed yam with blueberry.

The food is ok,not the best,but fine and with nice presentation.Together with the service,environment and the performance .It is a good place to visit and recommend to bring your foreigner friends to come.They will love it.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

A traditional Peking resaurant set in a covered courtyard. The staff were extremely helpful and even gave us a tour around the whole of the building at the end of our meal.

The food was excellent, with the sweet and sour fish being the highlight of the meal. The baked apple dessert (apple pieces in doughnut batter) was delicious and our children were shown how to make sugar animals by the very polite staff.

The entertainment was very good for the kids and the head waiter made sure that we had a table where we could watch the show.

Reviewed 22 September 2017

Invited to dinner here tonight by local friend - she lives close by yet had never been here previously.

What a great night - the venue is a traditional Chinese courtyard building - kept mostly to the original concept yet probably seats 400 or more people. We arrived around 5.30pm..ordered our meal - enjoyed the dishes, particularly the Peking Duck - making our own crispy duck meat rolls with thin wrap and delicious sauces and traditional ingredients - very good.

At 7.30pm the entertainment started, with a juggler, contortionist, Peking Opera Singer, a balloon actress making animal and funny shapes for kids in the audience - interestingly she made a balloon then came across to give to my friend - what fun.

The piece de 'resistance was the face - what an energetic actor - he changed faces ten or more times - he interacted with the audience...it had everybody enthralled.

As we left the crowds waiting outside for this restaurant and others were huge...we are glad we came to dine here tonight.

This is a place worth a visit.

Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

I came here on the recommendation of TripAdvisor it was easy to find but you have to make sure you go through the right entrance which is next to the lobster statue on the left hand side. The lady at the door gives you a card and you walk in to be shown at your table. Downstairs seems to be the best place to be as they have a show that starts at 8am which features acrobats. They also have a selection of rather unique food including insects on a stick but I'm not sure if that's part of the take out or midnight snack food they offer rather than the main restaurant. The building inside is massive and a bit like a maze but has beautiful architecture. The staff are very helpful and welcoming and though we can't speak Chinese they found a waitress who spoke to us in English, advising us which dishes contained meat for my vegetarian friend as well as on portion size which we were soon to find out were generous and very filling! I ordered braised pork belly, fried lotus roots mixed with pork meat, yangzhou fried rice and braised turtle. Each dish came out as it was made first was the pork belly which was the best I've ever tasted juicy and succulent the fat literally melted and dissolved in my mouth. You get 9 pieces of pork belly with pak choi so it's a good dish for sharing as the pieces are quite heavy. Next was the fried lotus served with a salt dip and tomato ketchup which I wasn't expecting. This was quite nice but probably something I'd order with a dim sum. These were extremely filling. Next was the braised turtle which originally I didn't realise was the turtle. It was served in a beautiful small bowl with rice, in fact the portion of turtle was incredibly small but I suppose this was a delicacy, also I had ordered the smallest portion and with the other food it was more than enough for me and an exciting new dish to try. The turtle itself tasted like a mixture of beef and lamb and had that fatty texture and taste you get with lamb which went very well with the rice it was served on. I feel with this meal each dish has been carefully thought through and the presentation of each dish was excellent; every bowl was unique and matched the food extremely well. The rice which was served last was very delicious though by then I was quite full. To accompany all this I ordered Yanjing beer which went quite well with the meat and had a tangy flavour. Overall this was a fantastic introduction to authentic Chinese food and our first evening in Beijing. The only criticism I would have is that I would have preferred all dishes to be served at once, but that's a personal preference and I understand and appreciate the benefits of food being served as soon as its cooked. I will definitely be coming here again and trying new and exotic dishes.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

This is for Macao Centre 55 Beixinqiao branch of the chain. Upstairs in a commercial block. Great entrance. we came as a Viking Tour group. Lazy Susan dining experience. Decent food, plenty of drinks. The Peking Duck well cooked, sliced and served at your table. Expensive for what it was.

Been to Huajia Yiyuan (Hua's Restaurant)? Share your experiences!