“Standard Beijing transit hotel”

FX Hotel Beijing Airport
Ranked #2,808 of 6,448 Hotels in Beijing
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
“Standard Beijing transit hotel”
Reviewed 16 January 2012

What can I say? It's a typical Beijing transit hotel - very basic. Compared to others that I have stayed in however, at least some effort has been put into this one. If you're expecting a Western-style hotel, this is not it. For the price, it's a good enough Chinese hotel with free shuttle to and from the airport and free wifi connection.

I arrived at 1:30am so was expecting to have to take a taxi to the hotel as most airport hotels end their shuttle service at midnight. I was surprised that the shuttle was still available when I called the front desk. However, all she did was to give me the driver's mobile number and told me to make the arrangement myself. If you don't speak the language, this will be impossible as the driver speaks no English at all.

The hotel is in a residential area so there are Chinese restaurants around and shops to buy things (though not 24 hours). Again, if you don't speak the language, it could be an issue.

Be aware that the hotel is only 5 mins away from the airport (on the runway end) so the sound of planes taking-off is a constant.

One tip - there are 30 rooms on each side of the (long) corridor. I was in the 29th room so had to trek all the way to and from the elevator. Ask for a room closer to the elevator if you don't want to have to hike all the way to your room.

Room Tip: Ask for one closer to the elevator
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I made the mistake of overlooking the bad reviews of this hotel and booked it anyway as there was only the expensive hotels with ok reviews, I didnt realise at that stage that China is so behind the rest of Asia and the world when it comes to hotels.

I arrived late at night, it included a free shuttle though it was quite difficult as I emailed and called before the flight to confirm the shuttle, They didnt give me any help to where the shuttle was so I had to wait about an hour in the arrivals hall to organise it through the information desk.

Shuttle bus was very dirty and unkept, seats torn etc though I didnt think this needed to be an indication of the state of the hotel though it was!

Reception and lobby area smelt of cigarette smoke, and was quite run down.
Staff at reception spoke poor or no English, even basic english when speaking very clear and slow. I was confused about the deposit paid. 2 men were waiting in the lobby and worked for the hotel to carry bags, they were looking at me as I arrived and talking, especially when I pulled my phone out, he whispered in the other ones ear and I now know this has something to do with a tip he thought he would get from me.

Once finally checked in, it was a long 30 minute process which is hard after 16 hours of travelling. One of the guys insisted on taking my bags, though I protested saying its fine, they are not too heavy. It didnt look like the type of hotel where they do that so I was fine taking my own bags up.

He was friendly and I later found out he had a motive, he showed me the room then stood there and asked if I wanted a sexy lady massage in the room, I said no. I said its fine, and im ready to sleep now. He wouldnt go and stood there and asked for a tip. Since I was very tired and also had not worked out the currency properly yet, I gave him about 10 yuan in the 1yuan notes, he refused and said it wasnt enough which I thought was really rude. I asked if the room was non smoking. It smelt strongly of smoke and I was getting over a flu which was not helped by a night in this condition.

Room was quite dirty and hallways and room had a dirty, and cigarette smell to them dispite being a non smoking room. Sink looked filthy but it was due to rust. It was actually a nice style of a room and modern, but just was so unkept and run down.

The main things that I was atleast happy about was the bed was clean, and the toilet and shower, Shower was high pressured and worked very well.
In the morning I asked about breakfast as it said on the booking 2 breakfasts were included and they looked puzzled. I assumed they would direct me to a breakfast room for a basic style breakfast but they handed me a bag with 2 dumpling type things and a boiled egg, I would have eaten them as there was no other food available but I did not trust the cleanliness of the hotel as it did appear to be quite seedy.

I decided to leave early as there was nothing around that area and I had to meet someone at the airport later that day.

Another western guy was also being taken to the airport so I asked him what he thought of the hotel. he had paid double the price I paid and was quite dissatisfied.

I strongly recommend to only use this hotel as a last resort, being fine if nothing else available, the bed did look clean and the toilet and shower which are basically the most important things. Breakfast is not really like advertised.

Worst things for me were the bad smell,seedy staff asking for a tip and a sexy lady massage was also quite offensive.

I have heard its the same story with all hotels around Beijing airport unless you pay above the $150 USD mark.

Room Tip: Try and find a room without an unclean or cigarette smell. Dont let the seedy guy ask for a tip! or...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Triphappenings

Travellers are raving about these Beijing hotels

Groningen
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I missed my connecting flight and was forced to stay one night in Beijing. The lady of the hotel reservation at the airport advised me this hotel, I had a short look at the pictures and decided to take it because it looked conveniant. I had to wait for half an hour before a bus brought me to the hotel. It was very cold in the hotel, so the ladies of the reception received me in their winter jackets. My room was dirty, cold and very small. There was no dinner available but because the neighbourhood was not very attractive I decided to order room service. I received a Pizza Hawai in a carton box, without knive or a fork. The bottle of beer was still closed. I managerd to sleep during the night despite of the fact that the hotel was very noisy. There was no European breakfast available, and we had to walk outside to get to the breakfastroom. I did not expect this and had to run outside without a jacket. I decided to leave the hotel as soon as possible without breakfast. When i wanted to check out my papers were missing. It is still not clear to me what the problem was, so I just gave them the key and took the first bus to the airport without a invoice.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Santa Cruz
Reviewed 28 November 2010

We got delayed on our flight out of China. The tourism desk at the airport recommended this hotel. "3 stars". 3 Stars?!? Maybe when it first opened. The photographs I've seen on the website may show what the hotel looked like 10 years ago, but in November of 2010, the place was shabby and dirty. The girl who checked us in didn't speak English, the first room she put us in was still dirty from the last tennant! When I went down to the front desk to get a different room, she at first tried to tell us "the waitress will be right up". We finally got another room. The plumbing needed repair, several lights were out, we were missing a top sheet on the beds. The hallways are wall-papered in this weird black and white Hollywood memories paper. They must have been trying to save on electricity because a lot of the lights were out. And the cocktail bar? Did they call the place we had to pay $2 for a coke and $4 for chips off of the shelf, the cocktail bar? The person who checked us out the next day was just as surly. The only good thing about this place was that it was connected to a restaurant that had really good food. I would never stay at this place again, and don't recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank SantaCruzTraveler09
Beijing
Reviewed 7 October 2010

First, if you're looking for an airport hotel I'm not sure this qualifies. It is on the street with a few other hotels -- Aulympic, StayOne, Eastern are all here -- but these are all located in the airport residential community and not so much the airport itself. The Sino Swiss is a block away. It is about a 10-minute drive to T3 and slightly less to T1-T2. There is a shuttle which is good because without it it might be difficult to find and more difficult to get to, since taxis will generally not go to this area from the airport. Around the hotel there isn't much for visitors. During my stay the street seemed to be undergoing construction and was dusty and sandy. Most shops cater to the local community. There's a big Jinkelong supermarket a few blocks away in the middle of the residential area. There's a western-style bar (complete with western-style pricing) on the street across from the Sino-Swiss.

The hotel itself is modern, with funky vegasy-lit room numbers. Room is small, basic. There is a decent restaurant downstairs with Hong Kong-style food. Internet is free. Receptionist tried to push FX membership packages on me, but the minimal discounts didn't justify the cost and I probably would choose another hotel if I had to stay overnight again in the airport area.

Think of it as a more modern version of Super 8, in a not-so-great location.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business