“Tourist trap! Avoid! 旅游陷阱 避免”
Review of Lao She Teahouse

More attraction details
Owner description: Peking Opera
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 20 April 2017

Positive: Chinese atmosphere With live entertainment (puppet show)
Negative: Tourist trap!. Menu only in chinese. The tea is standard and really expensive. 180 Yuan for green tea for 2 persons. The tea price was 120 Yuan, but they added 60 Yuan on the bill, maybe because of the Entertainment (the show was almost finnished when we arrived(watched 3 minutes).

Conclusion: AVOID! Horrible

Reviewed 6 April 2017

I agree 180yuan is a lot per person. However, this was a variety program where English subtitles were available, which was very necessary for my family, although I can understand Chinese myself. We got there early so we ate dinner downstairs. I wouldn't recommend dinner there. It was the worst Chinese food we had in Beijing. We caught a shadow puppet show with the dinner and that was nice for my 10, 12 year olds. They had 3-4 free sessions per day and each show was short, no more than 15 mins. The service was very nice. For the variety show, the tea with the snacks, dried plums, and melon seeds is typical of 19th century~early 20th century tea snacks. It's not going to be delicious in the American or European sense. The whole variety show is a return to that Pre-World War II/ Pre-Communist era, and these acts used to be street sideshows. My family had a nice time and we talked about what our grandfathers must've seen and where they might have met with their friends after work, like a Chinese version of happy hour in the end of the 19th century and early 20th century. We also chose this program instead of a whole 2 hour Chinese opera program or acrobatic show because these were short and more likely to keep our kids interested.

1  Thank Glenview_mom
Reviewed 24 December 2016

Nice example of local Beijing folk opera.
I have been there several times and I always liked it ...
It is a famous stop for local tourists and foreign.

You won't like it if you don't understand or respect Chinese culture.

Reviewed 1 December 2016 via mobile

It's a bit expensive for general visit as you have to spend 500 RMB for watching show followed by serving traditional Chinese tea. But if you are looking for classical look. This place is worth for you.

1  Thank Abdul G
Reviewed 28 July 2016 via mobile

Overpriced Ticket entrance: 180¥ the cheapest and you have to book in advance. Tea was disgusting, snacks consisted only in few candies and sunflower seeds. The show itself was average, although I think some of the acts were not purely traditional Chinese (a magician act), the others were amazing. Location is good though, just behind Tiananmen Square.
I don't recommend coming here.