“Bad cocktails and whiskey incident”

Lotus Blue Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #4,793 of 12,739 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Bar
Neighbourhood: Houhai
Description: Inside Lotus Market, Ping'an Dajie, opposite north gate of Beihai Park. 平安大街什刹海荷花市场内 北海北门对面 Tel.: +86 10 6617 2599 Fax: +86 10 6617 2733
Reviewed 16 November 2016 via mobile

It looks promising, but soon you will notice why it's not!

There is a live band that plays all kind of Western and Chinese music. The music is not bad but the sound is way to loud. When the band is playing you can't hear your friends.

Cocktails are a little bit on the high end. But they make it very badly. It was just like, let put some various liquor in a glass and than serve it.

For me a mojito is the nr. 1 cocktail, but the one they serve it was horrible. Then we tried a piña colada which was also bad.

Ok cocktails bad, so I decided to go for the Macallan 18. You can't go wrong. But than I saw the bar man did not used the Macallan 18 but the Glenfiddich 12 and served that to me. For your information I was not sitting at the bar but some where in the middle of the room with a good view on the bar.

I told the waiter they served me a Glenfiddich and I had ordered the Macallan 18. Finally got my Macallan, drunk it, paid the bill and left. I just had the feeling this was not simple mistake. If they had served me the Glenfiddich 18 or even the Macallan 12 than it could be a mistake, but a Glenfiddich 12, come on... A 70 rmb versus a 390 rmb per glass.

So bad cocktails, the music to loud, staff playing with mobile or just chatting, a whisky incident. My advise skip it. But if you still want to go, make sure you get what you ordered.

It could be good place with some investment in good staff and adjust the volume of the band.

1  Thank Jordy T
There are newer reviews for Lotus Blue Bar & Restaurant

Reviewed 8 September 2016

Had Thai at Lotus Blue. The seafood in pineapple is good. This lane by the Shisha Lake is lined with restaurants and none of them are oustanding anymore as most are just there because of the location. It's very easy to get a seat on the patio unlike many years ago. I think the price went up quite a lot for these restaurant. The whole strip lacks a trendy/buzzing feel to it. Beijing locale that got popular and over commercialize tend to become like that and then you need to find some new place that tourists never heard of for a bit of authenticity. That said, there is one or two good dishes here and the seats by the lake where you can touch the lotus leaf is quite nice. A nice evening out.

Reviewed 29 September 2015

Lovely setting at HouHai Lake. Open shutter doors so you can sit inside whilst feeling that you're al fresco. Food tasty but drinks weak and expensive. Live band was awesome and improved the atmosphere which set by waiters is appalling. They glare when you ask for things, work at 0mph and everything is a chore. If they were all fired and new staff hired, the place would buzz.

Reviewed 17 July 2015 via mobile

The only good thing about this place is the beautiful and romantic location on the lakeside.
The staff is terrible: only looking at their phones, very arrogant and no pro-active attitude at all.
The food is so so, but is very expensive.
The beer was warm and costed 50rmb for a small bottle of tsingtao or carlsberg 'chill'.
I won't ever return.

Reviewed 31 March 2015

We left the forbidden city through the back exit and decided to walk around a lake we saw on the map.
Since it was lunch time and we were very hungry, we decided to stop at the first decent place we would find.
This place is a mix of restaurant during the day and a bar in the evening and apparently they even have live music based on the instruments we saw on a small stage.
It serves not only Chinese food but also Thai. You will also find German wheat beer for sale.
We decided to order Chinese this time and everything we got was just delicious, freshly made and really tasty.
The service was efficient and attentive.
The only thing we did not like is that the waiter kept clearing his throat all the time, but apparently this is cultural since we've heard it everywhere here in China.

Been to Lotus Blue Bar & Restaurant? Share your experiences!