Imperial Courtyard Hotel
New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
US$226
US$88
US$82
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewstraditional stylebooking sitesmall alleysubway lineauthentic experiencechinese hotelsbus stopstayed here for nightsthe hotel staffandingmenhutongfridgetaxichinaaddresswesterners
Reviewed 22 September 2012

It was a bit hard to find, as the maps on booking sites are not very accurate, but once we knew where it was, the location was great. The building next door was being renovated, so it was quite messy and dusty, but fortunately the noise from the building site didn't get through to the hotel. I'm very glad other reviewers had warned about the dodgy streets that lead to the hotel, otherwise I would have been very worried on the way there. At check in, they asked for a 200 yuan deposit, but after travelling all day we only had 180 in cash on us, so they agreed to only take 100, which was great.

The room we had was tiny, and there was no window other than looking into the courtyard, but as we were on the ground floor, we had to have the lights on, otherwise it was dark. To let some air in, we could open the windows to the courtyard, but then we risked banging our heads on them, as they opened to the inside, and we could hear everything that was going on, as if the people were in the room with us. The bathroom was very small as well, and the shower stall was leaking, so the floor was getting soaked with each shower.

The hotel had some brochures for different tours, but when we asked them to book us on a particular Great Wall trip, they said they couldn't or wouldn't, as only the hotel brochure trips were available. We contacted the company from the brochure directly via email, fortunately they were responsive and spoke English, and we went on the tour we wanted. I don't see why the hotel would have brochures for tours they wouldn't book, though.

The room cleaning service was very patchy. The first day they forgot to give us the two complimentary bottles of water, but the next day we got them. We ran out of shower gel, and they didn't refill it, so I had to ask them to do it in the evening when we got back to the hotel. Some days they cleaned our tea cups, some days they didn't.

The included breakfast was ok. After a few weeks of having Chinese breakfasts, it was great to have hash browns and toast for a couple of days.

All in all, I guess I'm glad we stayed there, but I wouldn't go back there again, I think. As for the "hutong experience", and seeing how everyday people live - we'd seen plenty of that in other cities, because we tend to walk around a lot, rather than hop from one tourbus to the next, so it wasn't such a special thing for us.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank abere8
Reviewed 12 September 2012

On first approach I was instantly worried about this place. The small Hutong it was located in was very messy and dirty with construction taking place and I had to have assistance to lift my bag over a makeshift wheelbarrow that was unloading concrete mix. Alarm bells were ringing as with trepidition I opened the wide red doors to the Imperial Courtyard. So far nothing Imperial... but then I entered a new world.
The courtyard was alight with pretty red lanterns and traditional furniture. There is a kinda kitch, slightly spooky 'grotto' taking pride of place in the area that is where you take your breakfast and also the reception.
The staff were delightful and helpful and spoke good enough English to ensure my comforts were met.
The roosm are quaint. Small, serviceable and nothing particularly special. But look at the price and you will be surely satisfied. If you want space and you want pristine modernity - this is not for you. If you want clean, appropropriate and comfortable then please take a seat.
Breakfast is included in the tarrif and again, it is simple but effective. I elected for the Swiss option - odd for many reasons including the fact the museli is actually tinned fruit with yoghurt and some cornflakes on top. I liked it in a sweet way and it was accompanied by an egg, cooked exactly as I like it, some toast with cheese and some jam. Much to my surprise the coffee was pretty good and very unexpected.
BEWARE the shower water is hot, I mean piping hot and you could easily burn yourself, so just go easy and its all good. There is NO fridge in the room, but I popped something in the courtyard fridge with no problem.
Its not the quietest hotel but its by no means unmanageable.
Lower level rooms benefit from the ingress of the property lighting, if you dont like it then just shut the curtains in your room.
Air conditioning works a treat.
Chinese TV is amusing is not informative.
The location of the hotel is really quite fantastic and very close and convenient to Andingmen train station. Perfect railway system to get your ANYWHERE.
Also close to shops etc and a walk to the trendy and interesting modern Hutong area with the unpronouncable name i am not going to try and type.
All in all , this was a great place to stay if you are looking for modest and well priced.
Would I stay again. Yep.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank LesaJ
Reviewed 5 September 2012

This place can be daunting and difficult to find, but that's what my girlfriend and I loved about it! We arrived at 1am in the morning and had no trouble checking in...

Traditional hotel with Chinese lanterns and lovely courtyard feel.

Not bad at £60 a night but it was a little noisy given the age of the building. I didn't mind but my GF is a light sleeper.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Rooms were very clean, staff friendly and is centrally located in a quiet hutong within easy walking distance to the nearest metro station. Recommended if you are looking for a more unique hotel in Beijing.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com