Imperial Courtyard Hotel
US$116
US$106
US$93
  • Restaurant
New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
US$225
Priceline
US$62
US$52
  • Restaurant
All reviewstraditional stylebooking sitesmall alleysubway lineauthentic experiencechinese hotelsbus stopstayed here for nightsthe hotel staffandingmenhutongfridgetaxichinaaddresswesterners
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Stayed for 6 nights in May 2013. Hotel easy to find, in nice surroundings. Loved to walk around the Hutong at night. There is plenty of restaurants and shops (some shops open until 1-2 am)
Hotel itself was OK, I was not expecting Four Seasons for paying under €200 for 6 nights. But in my opinion rooms need to be better soundproofed as you can hear the voices of staff and other guests during the night. Bathroom needs a bit of refreshing (Toilet roll holder was glued to shower cabin and fell off when I closed the shower door).Also there was a problem with the air-con system which was dripping making it impossible to sleep and have it on at the same time- and I mean it was hot! The female staff speak good English but the male receptionist could not understand me when I asked about deposit- which turned out to be 200 RMB. On the plus side nice decor and the fact that you can experience living in a Hutong. Tours can be booked at the reception, however we found it much cheaper and interesting to visit places on our own.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I found this hotel randomly online however it was the best choice I've ever made! The hotel was designed as traditional Chinese style, giving it a sense of how Old Beijing would feel like. My hotel room was small yet very cozy and perfect for one person. The bathroom was clean and they even provided crocs slippers! The staff were amazing and super friendly, especially the girl who worked there in the morning. I had some time to travel in the morning before my flight later that night and she was kind enough to take care of my luggage so I wouldn't have to rush back to check out. The breakfast was really good too, you can choose between western style or Chinese style. I absolutely loved the hotel, even though it was a bit difficult to find. However it is located very close to the subway station. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will for sure come back.

Room Tip: I had a second floor room however it was quiet in the entire hotel so I don't think it matters which room you choose.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed here to get more of our China experience than a fancy western hotel in the modern part of Beijing and it was fantastic!! Staff were great, the rooms clean, and it had lovely hot showers.
It is in the Hotongs, and staying here provides more experience of "China" than any of the tourist stuff you will do. Walking through the narrow lanes on your way to and from your hotel you are more often than not the only westerner among lots of locals getting on with life.
They are generally happy and friendly, and will nod and smile as you go past. We never at any time (even after midnight wandering down darkened lanes with no streelights) felt under threat. As a city it is generally safer than many western cities, with conterfiet 100yn notes being the most common form of theft (shops seem to be pretty good, but taxis drivers seem to be the ones who distribute much of the dodgy currency?
It is nice to be able to buy clothes & shoes etc at Chinese prices in shops where they have little or no english (as opposed to the tourist trap known as the Spice Road Markets where nobody but the silly westeners buys anything - and usually copies or 2nds at highly inflated prices - in that place if you pay more than 40% of the first price you are given you are generally being ripped off - check the not negotiable prices in the Chinese stores and you will see what I mean).
In the area around the hotel there are lots of little family run food outlets with incomprehensible menus and wonderful food (even if it isn't anything like what you thought it might be) - give it a try you will be pleasantly supprised. If not to your taste, there are shopping strips nearby that have minimarts and pizza (if that is what you are looking for when you are in Beijing?).
It is easy to find your way to and from the hotel once you have found the front door (there is a sign above the entrance to the very narrow lane that leads to the front door, but it is smallish and about 15 ft in the air).
It doesn't have the big "all you can eat" type breakfast, but it was certainly adequate and more than I would normally eat and they have real coffee (a proper italian coffee machine and staff who know how to make a good coffee). Rooms were clean, and while the beds weren't western style they were not what I would call "hard bed" and I slept like a baby. Contrary to other reviews I have read, I did have a fridge in my room, and I didn't find downstairs at all noisy.
I thought the rooftop outddor area was delightful and the hotel had a wonderful atmostphere.
Would recommend it for a real look at Beijing (in comfort), rather than the same old same old windows of a large western style hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Andrew E
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This hotel is not easy to find, that's the first thing I would say but once you find this gem the staff are friendly and speak English very well. Nothing is too much trouble. The room we had was clean and tidy but don't expect 5 stars and breakfast was fresh cooked daily with a reasonable western choice of breakfast options . The underground is a short walk cheap and easy to use. Well worth your consideration. Tours can be booked at reception for a great price. I was very happy with the stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gary T
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Strong points: 1. Rooms and interior courtyard looked very well designed with traditional chinese decor. Lots of beautiful pot flowers added to experience.
2. Breakfast was good and varied.
3. Staff spoke english fluently.
4. Location is close to metro.

Week points: 1. There was no fridge in our room. 2. Class ceiling in the courtyard was very dirty. It is expected after all the dust storms from Gobbi, so regular cleaning is a must. 3. A conditioner/heating unit in our room made very disturbing low frequency noises. We had a choice of speeping either in noisy and warm or quiet and cold room. 4. Neighbourhood. This hutong is a very sorry sight. It maybe exotic for some, but we saw only dirt and povety.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple