New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
US$144
US$91
Agoda.com
Citytel Inn(Beijing)
Dongsi Hotel(Beijing)(Great Value!)
All reviewskung fudongsi stationheated floorsplace to stayminute walkhutong districtgreat wall of chinahome away from homethe wi fienjoyed my stayeasy accessknightscalligraphytaxiloftvpnenglish
Reviewed 15 September 2015

BEWARE STAFF THEFT!!!! My last night wallet & 400 dollars stolen from my room. All my ID cards, cash, everything in the wallet. Someone went through my bag. Chinese staff incredibly rude after the fact. The staff actually laughed guiltily when I reported it?!!!! Are you serious??!! Then they tried to translate the incident to the police as a "lost wallet." Really???? Also hostile and refused to turn over security footage.In &out of rooms. Thieves

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
9  Thank LOVETRAVELANDLEARN
FlybyKnightTeam, Manager at Fly by Knight Courtyard Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2016

Ms. Lorenzo: we choose to respond to your review now because the entire investigation has been completed by police and authorities, and not only had you been giving us wrong information about yourself, you have also been giving false information to the police as well as immigration officers. The authorities will be contacting you directly. As to the event, this is what happened:

On Aug 19th, 2015, you checked in our hotel with your passport. You claimed that you have no cash with you so you cannot pay for the room, and explained that you will pay the next day. We agreed on that.
On the night of Aug 21st, 2015, our staff asked you if you had the cash to pay for your rooms, you said no and will pay the next day, we agreed again.
On Aug 22nd, you claimed that your wallet had been stolen and asked for our help. Our on-duty staff helped you search all over the room, and soon reported to the police. There were two police officers arrived at the scene and we all checked the footage of the CCTV. And we had made a copy by USB storage to give it to the police officers. We explained to you that the local police have the right to request for the copy for evidence, but you were acting weird and refuse the fact that it was by law the police officers had to take the copy, and you were trying to stop us from giving the files to them.
We later spoke to another guest from your room, and he decided to tell us that you did not lose your passport, nor did you lose credit card or anything. You were trying to frame us and refuse to pay for the room fee. The conversation had been documented. He admitted that he had personally gone to the ATM machine with you after and saw your withdrawal of cash. You later checked in into another place with your passport.

We had been calling your USA phone number with area code of 908, but there was never a response. You still haven’t paid for your room fees until now, and the case had been reported and handled by law enforcement.

Reviewed 19 August 2015

We stayed for 7 nights in April. The rooms were quite nice, but a little shabby, with smelly drains - it's expected in the hutongs though.

Staff were great, spoke excellent English and were really helpful in giving tips and directions.

The courtyard itself it lovely, really peaceful - a nice break from the manic city.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris M
Reviewed 16 August 2015 via mobile

Even nicer than I had been advised!

Friends recommended FBK to me so I booked for my 1st 2 nights in BJ.

Finding it can be a little tricky, especially at night and/ or you have a lot of luggage. I walked from DengShikou Metro (Exit A, cross the street and head left) but Dongsi Metro is closer (Exit C, per FBK directions).
Daniel & Lindsey VERY welcoming, an immediate positive. Helpful for any questions you have, good level of English.
I stayed in Room 108 single w/ ensuite which is comfy room (especially bed), nice entrance.

Great Wall tours:
I did the Mutianyu Tour but the other one also recommended by guests I spoke to. FBK do the booking for you to leave at 7.30am, but you should be prepared for long journey with the tour bus - multiple pickups from other hostels mean you won't leave city until 8.30-9am. Bus stops at village 20-mins before Mutianyu for toilet break & for you to buy snacks + water at fraction of what you pay @ the wall (VERY helpful!). Arrive around 10.30, get off bus, walk a bit then back on bus, then get off at bus park and walk up hill to entrance.
You have 3hrs for visiting the wall, your tour guide may recommend to go cable car up to Tower 14 then walk to Tower 20 and beyond to the original towers (all others reconstructed), but I chose to go up on chair-lift to Tower 6 then walk to Tower 1 and beyond 'do not go past' to ruins of towers that give you breathtaking views. Then can take the toboggan slide back down to pickup point. It's ¥100 return whether you do cable car or chair-lift/toboggan.
You'll have lunch around 2pm (included in ¥320 price) before heading back to Beijing - be prepared for a looooonnnnggggg journey back, it took us 4hrs to get back to FBK, but at least we got to experienced the BJ Traffic!

Restaurants:
Fave is Xiao Mian You Huo (next to 161 Hotel) which does yummy noodles, dumplings, hot pot, try the bottled drinks! Very reasonable prices.
FBK recommend the 159 restaurant for Peking Duck but sadly didn't get to try it.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Chris R
Reviewed 10 August 2015

I had stayed in the female dorm (with attached bathroom) and I find it rather clean and comfortable despite the constant influx of guests checking in and out. It only takes approximately 10 mins to walk from Dongsi subway station Exit C to the hostel but the alleyway in the hutong leading to the hostel is quite dark in the evening. Nevertheless, I still felt safe whenever I returned to the hostel in the evening. The hostel staff are polite, friendly and professional. They were very prompt in responding to my requests and they had a strong knowledge about the city, giving good advice on where to shop and how to avoid tourist traps. I would highly recommend this hostel to my friends for a unique experience in a Beijing courtyard house with modern facilities.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank hello_there10
Reviewed 15 June 2015

Our stay here turned out to be really nice and memorable thanks to the friendly staffs and other guests. On the other hand, we felt like this hostel and especially our 2 single bed room looks not as new and clean as it is in the pictures. It would be perfect if the hostel is repainted and redecorated!

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family