“Fine hotel in Haidian Distric of Beijing”

Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing
Ranked #12 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 6 September 2012

As many frequent travellers know, Shangri-La is a great premium hotel brand with a presence in many of the world's major cities. The Shangri-La Hotel in the Haidian district of Beijing doesn't disappoint either. The hotel consists of two main towers and this also presents one of the only real inconveniences, and that is the lack of adequate signage indicating which is the main check-in lobby. Inevitably my driver thought that Lobby Number 2 was the main entrance, when in fact it was Lobby Number 1. Not a huge deal, but after a tiring flight, a bit more complicated than necessary and a little further to walk (through the connecting hallway). It's a big hotel!

On the plus side, you don't get very far before someone rushes up to you to take your bags. However, on the minus side, this zeal got a little irritating later in my stay when I would get back to the hotel carrying a very small computer bag and even this, apparently, may have been too heavy for me to carry unaided! Better too much service, I guess, than too little!

As I was travelling alone, I preferred room service to eating in one of the restaurants - and I must say the variety and quality of the room service menu was first class (and not as expensive as you might imagine for a hotel of this quality).

The only snag happened on check-out when I brought down the mini-bar slip with my consumption of a couple of nights before. I say a "couple of nights" because the previous day the mini-bar had not been restocked, despite the fact that I had been out all day and my room had been made up. The receptionist assured me that the two items on the list had already been accounted for, but a few days later I received an email to say that wasn't the case and did I mind an additional small charge.

I did NOT mind the additional charge, but pointed out in my reply that I had brought down the list and had been assured the charges had been added. I also pointed out that there was possibly some confusion by the receptionist because the bar had not been re-stocked. I received a very swift response apologizing for the inconvenience and waiving the charge. A simple gesture that was appreciated and indicates the overall very good quality of service in this excellent hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,919)

Reviewed 29 August 2012

We stayed almost two weeks. By the end of the first day the staff knew our names, knew that i drank black coffee, knew that my wife drank earl gray tea. By the end of the second day they knew our preferences for table location and our room number. This is good in a boutique hotel but extraordinary in a large hotel, and even more extraordinary in a large multi-tower hotel that is part of a large chain. The level of attention to guests was remarkable. My wife coveted one of their silver plated tea strainers, a copy of a much more expensive sterling strainer that she never quite let herself buy in London; the waitress saw her admiring the strainer a couple of mornings and the next morning allowed her to purchase one from the hotel's stock. We found the level of English from all of the staff to be vastly improved from a previous visit. I plan to stay again when I make a month-long trip back to Beijing. The location is a little secluded; alternatively, the hotel's restaurants are very good, there are several good restaurants a short taxi ride away, and the hotel's surrounding gardens ensures that rooms are quiet at all hours of the night and day, which is not always true in Beijing.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

Stayed one night for business so did not try many amenities. Check-in was great - the person at the entrance took me straight to the room so no need to go to the check-in desk. Rooms not yet tired but seemed a bit out of date. Very good bar downstairs. Did not get a chance to try the breakfast either. Very helpful concierge did everything to perfection.

1  Thank plunge
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Without any hesitation, I must say that this hotel stay was the best my husband and I have ever had. We stayed for 3 nights in April and were upgraded to the Garden Wing with club lounge access. The staff were the most attentive we have ever come across, and provided service well above our expectations. My husband celebrated his birthday during our stay and was given a birthday cake (complete with singing waitresses!).
The Garden Wing appears to be quite new with spacious rooms equiped with clean, modern furnishings. The room was stocked each morning with fresh fruit and L'Occitane products refreshed in the bathrooms. Concierge were very helpful in recommending a reputable local restaurant and organising taxi's when required. Though we only had 3 nights at the hotel, the experience was a definite highlight of our 10 night holiday (throughout Hong Kong, China and Macau). The Japanese restaurant (Nishimura) is also worth trying if staying at the hotel. Reasonable prices and authentic cuisine. Walking through the hotel gardens is also a must - a little piece of tranquility in the heart of Beijing.
Thanks Shangri-La Beijing - you are AMAZING!

Room Tip: Choose the Garden Wing - the extra service, breakfast and all day snack bar makes it good value
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I'll start off by saying this hotel has one of the premier health clubs, including a spacious swimming pool, outstanding spa facilities in the changing rooms. Being an aficionado of hotel swimming, with years of experience to boot, the 25m indoor built in pool left nothing to be desired as a place to lap away the hassles and worries of a big city. Excellent spa facilities include jacuzzis, sauna, steam room and "tropic/arctic" environmental showers in the changing rooms with plenty of room for dressing, grooming and relaxation. A large and beautifully landscaped traditional Chinese garden punctuates the tranquil scenery outside the Shangri-la's main dining room, through spacious picture windows.

Room Tip: This hotel is a bit far from the nearest Beijing Metro stop, at the Beijing Zoo.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business