“Good service”

Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing
Ranked #14 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 18 December 2012

No surprise there that this 5-star hotel provides excellent service -- for the price, it better does, even though I bet many people are not paying out of pocket anyway.

The porters were extremely helpful and saved my day after I forgot my passport on the taxi -- because I was so tired after being stuck in the traffic for 3+ hours from the airport! They radioed the front gate and the taxi driver quickly came back with my passport. Thank god!

Nothing to comment on the room, which was perfect. The old-fashioned desk chair was not very comfortable for work though. The maid left a mouse pad for me on the next day after seeing me using a piece of paper on the glass desk as a replacement. Nice little touch.

As is everywhere else in China, food was just wonderful. Service at the restaurant was excellent, for both breakfast and dinner. Again, I can't comment on the price since I didn't pay for it but the menu looked reasonable for the price from what I can recall.

I actually have no idea about the location because we were taken to all business by car service. However, I guess this isn't in a very central location based on the street scenes to and from the hotel. For starter, it is at the corner of to freeways. However, my room up in the 14th floor was absolutely quiet despite the proximity to busy traffic.

I probably would not stay at this hotel were it not for business, not because of the price but more for the location. Unless you drive, there doesn't seem anything to see around the hotel ground. You have to take taxi everywhere and the taxi line in the morning was very long for the week I stayed there. They dispatchers were very efficient and helpful though, as was almost every young man and woman in China. My take of China is that as long as money is on the table, everyone works super hard and the service is simply perfect. The same can't be said for other big cities in Europe and the US.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank lutrasimilis

Reviewed 18 December 2012

Great service - the staff genuinely cares and all speak good English.

A couple things that I like in particular
-There's a free shuttle to Zhongguancun Software Park, which is where I need to go. Many taxi drivers don't know about this place, so it avoids the confusion of finding it. It's also difficult to find a shuttle from the software park due to its remoteness. It's a small thing, but makes a difference.
- If you want good western food for breakfast, the buffet is excellent. (The Chinese food is good too, but that's to be expected). It's a little expensive, about 200 RMB.
- Rooms are spacious. Internet is reliable, both wired and Wifi. Don't make you login after the first time, unlike other hotels where you log in every day.

Location is okay. If you want to walk to restaurants, there are some within walking distance. There's not a lot of life in the area though after dark. But, it's the closest good hotel to our office.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 December 2012

This being my first visit to Beijing, I was thrilled to find the Shangri-La Beijing met the standards I've come to expect after multiple stays at Shangri-La resorts worldwide. The usual trimmings are all there, with the service tipping the scales as soon as you walk through the door. The staff in all departments I interacted with were excellent.
Overall, the rooms are staple Shangri-La: all the features I've come to expect for my business traveller needs (comfy bed, good workdesk set-up, plenty of wardrobe space). On the downside, tea/coffee facilities were limited to a single black tea tea-bag (no coffee, milk or sugar to be seen) and the bathroom was looking a little tired and in need of some elbow-grease cleaning. It wasn't dirty by any stretch of the imagination, but it needed a bit more effort on the housekeeping front.
Do make the effort to sample the breakfast offerings in the buffet or via room service, and make the time to try high tea or a sumptuous (and very well priced) cocktail at the Cloud Nine Bar during your stay,

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Amazing expeience. Many example of attentive and personal services. Let's share one - while it takes 30 minutes to wait for taxi in the morning, the staff issue me a ticket and encourage me to hang around in the a/c'ed lobby, while they hailed cab from the street. Truly considerate. Wil recommend to everyone.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 November 2012

it would be Shangri-La Beijing.

There is absolutely nothing to complain about this hote. Service is brilliant, Food is good. They would accomodate your every request. I always feel that this is my home away from home. The staff are genuinely caring and that is not a request they would deny their guest.

I must say that for a while I was so spoilt by the excellent service they have rendered to me that I had expected the same of other hotels only to be disappointed.

It is such a shame that these days I rarely stay at this hotel but I do feel that the staff are like my friends in Beijing.

Well done everyone and please keep up the great work you are doing

Room Tip: The rooms in the new wing are superb. Try to get the higher floors as you can get to see smog and ev...