Book now, pay at stay
US$169
US$155
Renaissance Hotels
  • Pool
New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
Book now, pay at stay
US$79
Priceline
Dongsi Hotel(Beijing)(Great Value!)
2,800 results
All reviewsgarden wingshang palacechinese gardennew towerold winghorizon clubsummer palacein room diningfitness centerexcellent hotelbusiness tripconcierge staffbreakfast buffet istourist attractionsbusiness centerexecutive loungeforbidden city
Reviewed 27 December 2010

The Shangri-La is a very nice hotel, but not as nice as the JW Marriott that we also stayed at during our trip to Beijing (see my review of the JW for details). The room was nice, but the TV was an older model with a much smaller selection of channels and the shower is not as nice. The desk and night stands had no open outlets for my laptop, cell phone charger, etc. The breakfast buffet also did not have as much variety as the Marriott.
All that being said, I did enjoy my stay here, the beds are comfortable, the service was good, and I got good night's sleep.
If you're an IBM employee or visiting IBM in Beijing, this hotel does have a shuttle that will take you to the IBM facility, which was very handy.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 December 2010

I believe that your service and your staff are second to none. However, I found that the facilities and room are quite old such as the tap of bath tube in the bathroom is leaking whenever I turn on the tap. I don't want to flood the floor, so I used the shower instead.

Anyway, it'll be better if you place the complimentary water beside the Evian on the glass tray. May be it's your marketing method but customer make a mistake easily, and I did! When I wanted to take water in a hurry, I open the charged on while thinking that it's a complimntary one!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 December 2010

This is an excellent option to stay in Beijing and have relax. Service at this hotel is highly qualified. Kind people, excellent cuisine, it worths every cent you pay for it

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 November 2010

Location: In my opinion, the location of the hotel is really not very good for a tourist. Even if you have transportation to all the major tourist spots, the fact that we can't just walk outside to a major dining area or at least to a metro stop is not convenient. Of course, taxi is always available, but it's still a 20-30+ minutes ride to CBD, and you have to deal with taxis. I always prefer to either walk or use metro so that affects my opinion. The closest metro station is a 20 minute BRISK walk from the lobby. You want to use the National Library of China stop on Line 4. You can cut through the Zizhuyuan Park to make the walk more interesting (there are people dancing all times of the day) but you most likely have to rely on taxis for the majority of the travel within the city.

Service: Very good and professional. The staff in the breakfast dining area were very good. Check-in/out was quick and professional.

Food: The breakfast buffet was really nice, though weaker on the Chinese food. The variety and quality of the western breakfast was above average.

Gym/Pool: Very nice pool (big and good for lap swimming, though a bit warm) and the gym is complete. There are very nice sauna/steam/jacuzzi in the locker room.

Room: The room in the old garden wing is...old. It's a nice size but the carpeting is old and a bit off-putting. The bed is comfortable, and the room a nice size, about 30 sqm (?). We had friends in the new Valley wing and they reported that those rooms are a lot nicer.

The hotel does have free wifi so that's a plus.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2010

I mostly liked this hotel. When we first arrived, the doorman promptly unloaded our bags from the taxi and brought them into the lobby where the concierge took them to the check-in lobby for our wing (there are 2 wings), which was a little bit of a walk. Check in was a breeze (as was check out), the reception desk was fully staffed. There was even an employee who stands by the elevator and pushes the up button for you. Our rate included breakfast which was a fairly large buffet with a lot of choices. Service at breakfast was also good and prompt. There is a garden in the back that was very nice for a stroll. Our room was in the garden wing, which some trip advisor reviewers had said was run down. We did not find that to be the case. It looked like it had been recently updated and was very comfortable and quiet. I interacted with the concierge on a number of occasions and found him to be very helpful. I used the fitness center which was big and clean with lots of cardio equipment. I had a massage at the hotel spa and again, the level of service was like nothing else I have ever encountered.

There were 2 things that I didn't like about this hotel. First, it was out of the main city center and not very close to a subway stop. Cabs are plentiful and inexpensive, so this drawback is somewhat muted. Second, when it came to ordering drinks, it was difficult. All of the great service we encountered at breakfast and check-in is absent from the lobby bar. Although there seemed to be many servers, you needed to make an extra effort to get any attention. When you did, if you were trying to order something that was not listed on the menu, like a regular, non flavored martini, it was impossible (the menu had a martini section, which was full of the lemondrop and cosmopolitan varieties). We experienced the liquor problem again in the Chinese restaurant in the hotel. Unless it was listed on the menu, it was not going to come as ordered. At the table next to us, we listened to someone try to order a bourbon and 7. I don't think they understood either one of those ingredients. The drinks that were difficult to order also came with a very high price tag.

Those two issues aside, I did like this hotel and would recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business