“Decent hotel, in good location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Prime Hotel

Prime Hotel
Ranked #60 of 6,427 Hotels in Beijing
London, United Kingdom
“Decent hotel, in good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

Well located for Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square and shopping. The hotel is large with an international corporate feel and, although there was an abundance of dark marble, it didn't seem particularly dated. The room was modern, large and clean and the breakfast was good. Only stayed for two nights on a three day return trip from the UK so didn't use many facilities, but what we saw was good.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ATPTour

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

A friend in Shanghai recommended this hotel and we had a very nice experience there. Our room was lovely: spacious, nicely decorated, and very comfortable. The hotel is located close to to Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City and that was important to us (although the subway system is really so easy to use in Beijing that we could have stayed in other areas). We loved the breakfast buffet which is both Chinese and continental. The servers were attentive and courteous.
The hotel staff were incredibly helpful arranging for a tour to the Great Wall as well as taxis to restaurants and other sites. All in all, I would recommend the Prime and go there again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CookingwithMary
new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

Came into Beijing for business, the Prime hotel was booked for convenience to project site only. This hotel is a little long in the tooth to be called Prime. The location is fine. The room was passable, with 70s black marble baths and fixtures. At first glance I thought it was dirty but after some thought, maybe that was the intent. Theres a handpainted mural behind the headboard which had some interesting preschool graffiti added to it. This kid had the whole mural to himself and went to town, Sort of makes you wonder if housekeeping ever looks up from making the beds...Breakfast buffet was not good, lots of variety but not good. One morning I chose some fruit to start and evidently they chose to cut onions earlier that morning with the same knife. Pretty gross. Lots of reheated chinese food with lots of things you'd find at a bad salad bar. Later I learned that breakfast becomes the lunch buffet so why not leave the veggies and dressings out for a few hours to warm up? Baked goods were devoid of taste but had lots of texture, reminded me that sawdust was the main ingrediant.
Overall, I think this hotel could be way better, the staff is not bilingual and doesnt try either. Tried the hotel restaurant on my last day where a complementary fruit platter arrived garnished with a huge mosquito.
When I thanked the waitress and declined, she moved the plate to the next table. 5 * I think not.

Room Tip: Dont stay here.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank clcny1
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

Stayed here from 9/11/11-9/14/11. Did a family trip with my mom & sister did not get the breakfast combo. Charged me ~$50 dollars more for 1 extra person but that seems to be the norm in China. For 2 people the price was ~$100 for 3 people it turned into $150. Kind of steep if you ask me for sharing a room but it is what it is.

GOOD
-Location, location , location in walking distance to many of the things you will want to see.
-Breakfast buffet was good, not fantastic but not bad at all.
-Clean, nice room & bathroom. The maid cleaned things well and I did not feel like I had to worry about my valuables (they have safe in the room)
-The kicker and why this was awesome for us: I am veggie and there was a fantastic veggie Chinese place about 3 blocks from the hotel. We liked it so much we ate dinner there every night!

BAD
-Not all of the receptionists speak English and it was difficult communicating at times. Not a huge deal at all just an FYI so you know the exectation.
-I am highly sensitive to smoking rooms and I want to say that these rooms were probably only turned non smoking 2 years ago. Maybe if was my imagination but I felt like these used to be smoking rooms. Nothing that made my room so terrible I would not stay there again but just a watch out if you are sensitive.
-No wireless, to use the free internet you had to actually connect your laptop through the cat 5 cable. Come on guys in the year 2011!?!?!?!

All in all I would stay here again in a heart beat, and would recommend it for a reasonable, comfortable and nice place to stay. Think Holiday Inn/Hampton not a Hilton and your expectations will be appropriate.

On another note: A taxi from the airport to here should be 100Y. DO NOT GET A PRIVATE CAR. I got ripped off at 400Y which I learned about on the way back to the airport :-( Save some money from my lesson!

Room Tip: No comment here.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Amit S
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

Just stayed at this hotel for a week. We had already booked the accomodation and had a voucher which included breakfast for 2 adults. When we checked in they stated that breakfast included meant just breakfast for 1 person. We had an argument about this and after 1 hour the assistant manager came and agreed that the breakfast was for 2 adults.

The room is not very clean and the bathroom was a disgrace, there was black mould in the shower everywhere.

The air conditioning seems to be centrally controlled and was not turned on the whole time, the fan was running but no cooling or heating even though there was temperature controll on the wall.

The breakfast was from 6am until 10am, but after 9am they do not replace anything that runs out. On the 2nd last moring I arrived at 9.15am and there was no butter for the toast and when I asked for some they said it was too late. The fruits had also been all eaten and they did not give any more either.

I would not recommend this hotel as I have stayed in much better hotels at a lower price in Beijing.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple