“Old Watchtower ”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$72.00*
and up
Private Beijing Art Tour including Red Gate...
Ranked #290 of 1,568 things to do in Beijing
Reviewed 8 May 2016 via mobile

This was an old watchtower back in the day. This is one for the few building left from the dynasty eras. We came in too late to see the gallery but the building itself with worth the visit.

Date of experience: May 2016

Reviewed 2 May 2016

So I had one day left in Beijing and I wanted to visit a museum. So I asked someone 'local' on my hike I was doing the day before. Which museum would you recommend? Being an art-teacher herself, her decision was quick made. She told me to come and look for this place.
So I did. I walked from the center, it is a nice walk, since you come in areas you maybe would not see otherwise. (taking the subway doesnt give you a view of the environment). So arriving at the old wall of Beijingwaw already interesting. It is a small nice green area and you see the tower, where you will fidn this musea, from far.
I started with the photo-exhibition on the second floor.
But than I found that this gallerywas on the 1 and 3th floor. I was warmlywelcomed by one of the persons working there and he gave me a short introduction to the exhibition.
Currently there is a really interesting one about female artists in china. It is with a book written by an Australian and it sounds really promising. I went through the book and could have spent there the whole day reading it.

So this place is definetely worth a visit also you can have a nice view over beijing.
Enjoy!

Date of experience: April 2016
1  Thank fienx
Reviewed 10 January 2016 via mobile

The stunning location alone is ample reward for venturing outside of the 978 district. The gallery is situated within an outpost and upon soaring stone walls which used to surround the city of Beijing. Vibrant young artwork appropriately contrasts the heritage exhibition with which it shares a space. Artworks, a selection of models and 1940s photographs are another reminder of the rate of change in the city; China and it's culture.

Date of experience: January 2016
Reviewed 5 November 2015

My husband and I were visiting Beijing and took a walk along by the old city wall ending at the watchtower, where quite by chance (my husband got chatting to Brian Wallace while I was elsewhere) we paid this gallery a visit. Unusual setting and interesting pieces made it very worthwhile.

Date of experience: September 2015