All reviews forbidden city beijing hutong boiled eggs small room minute walk airport pickup quiet hutong decent breakfast western hotels yogurt tienanmen square subway station noodles dongsi driver alley wall
Reviewed 4 July 2016

We had a great experience at the Sihe Hotel. Wonderfully friendly and helpful staff, with great rooms and a quiet experience in the Hutong area. Great local restaurants in the immediate area. Convenient access to Line 5 of the Beijing metro.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2016 via mobile

After checking reviews on Tripadvisor and seeing the great reviews, I decided to chance a stay. My ideal fantasy was that it would replicate those traditional Chinese movies I see where there are rooms and internal courtyards. However, I had visited several other cities on this trip and had stayed at a Park Hyatt, Raffles Hotel, Hilton and a Hyatt, so my expectations were quite high.
I had booked for 3 nights so a complimentary taxi ride was included. Our flight came in at midnight so it would be a very late check in. When we pulled off the highway, we start going through narrow and very confusing tiny alleys before arriving at the lodging. Stepping into the tiny office, I was greeted by a lady who spoke passable English but refused to speak Mandarin to me. She asked if she could charge my 3 night stay immediately and my mistake was that I said yes before checking the room.
She showed me to the room for 2 and it was a small room with a queen bed and a small desk. There was a small bathroom with a shower. There was also absolutely no room for 2 luggages unless it was against the wall which made walking to the bathroom very tight. After she left, we had to turn on the AC and my daughter immediately found 2 small millipedes in the bathroom. I called front desk to take care of it and she came back and offered to move us to a slightly larger room.
We accepted the offer but this room, though slightly larger also did not offer much room for luggage. The window was open prior to us being in there so there were a few small bugs flying around. The standard of cleanliness just felt low and we were afraid to touch anything. The images on the site looks way better than when I was there in person. The building structures and surrounding areas look very run down and looks to be in desperate need of repair. The room looked tidy but just did not feel clean. The AC had a very hard time cooling the room. There was no way we could have managed to walk back out through the maze of alleys to the main street to find the subway or a taxi.
When morning came, I had to check out because I just could not fathom staying another 2 nights and feeling comfortable or safe in the room. The same check in lady now claim that she did not know how to void the previous transaction from just a few hours ago. As of today, almost 2 weeks and several emails later, my refund has not come through yet.
If you are used to a higher standard of hotel and think you might want to be adventurous, don't do it. For the price I was paying at US $130 a night, there are way better choices in Beijing.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
6  Thank Faith N
Reviewed 16 June 2016

It turned out that this hotel was really wonderful for me. I got a really lovely room, and stayed here over a month. The staff was friendly and helpful. However, when I first arrived, I was put in a room that was of extraordinarily lower quality than the room that I ended up with. It was no better than an average hostel. It had a private bathroom, but the shower was just a faucet in the wall. The quality of this room didn't match the pictures on the website, and so I asked for a better room the following day. The staff was very accommodating. They moved me (for no extra charge) in a very beautiful room where I stayed very happily for over a month.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2016 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights and on arrival we got what must be the smallest room of the hotel (822). It was classified as a standard room but was max 3 by 3m with a small bathroom where you had to shower on the toilet. After complaining we could move to another room of the same level after 2 nights. This second room (008) was much bigger and had a normal bathroom. Although it was next to the reception there was not that much noise. Breakfast is simple: some asian dishes and some toast, jam and boiled eggs.
The hotel is the location in a hutong which is very quiet and does not give you the feeling you are in the big city. It has a charming courtyard to relax in.
It is also about 7 minute walk to the metro and it has free bikes to use.
We would not dismiss it a next time but would also check others hotels.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
cocoana, Guest Relations Manager at Beijing Sihe Courtyard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2016

First,thanks for your review. We always try our best to meet guests' requirements, so we are so sorry for yourunpleasant experience at fist day . We have different rooms .They are different style,different area. We will enrich our breakfast. We wish that we can give you a better experience next time.

Reviewed 12 May 2016 via mobile

It was my first time to Beijing and also my first time to live in Siheyuan. Both my boyfriend and I think it's worth spending time there. The bed is very soft but the bathroom is a little terrible. The staffs spoke nice English and their services were very patient. We experienced the Hutong morning, like some people riding their bikes, some old ones exercising, and we thought it may be the quiet life of beijingers.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank AudreyCccBuTTerFLY
cocoana, Director of Sales at Beijing Sihe Courtyard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2016

Thanks for you review! Your encouragements are important for us.We will do better next time! Waiting for meeting you again!