“Service and Charm!”

Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #11 of 6,530 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I stayed here for nearly a week with my parents in their 'Family' room. The staff would bend over backward to help you with anything you needed, and they were always incredibly friendly while doing it. The hallways and rooms are absolutely charming - traditional decorations and furniture mixed with more modern-ish bathrooms. Breakfast was Chinese and Western mixed - great!

Our room: Having been staying in apartments for the other parts of our trip, the room seemed initially small, but was great for a hotel room accomodating three people. The canopy bed my parents shared was not their favorite, as they are used to larger, open beds. Having two sides with walls bothered them. My bed was comfortable, although we also had to use it for seating if we were in the room. The decorations are beautiful and comfortable. Seating in the room is not super comfortable, but we were fine. It would be better in warmer weather, when you could enjoy their courtyard. We were stuck indoors with our winter visit. Our room was always plenty warm (even hot at times), and we didn't even turn on the blower heater, just left it with the radiators.

The staff: Utterly fantastic! Thanks to all of them for their help, advice, and smiles, jokes, and questions welcoming us 'home' each day! They did things promptly, but were always patient with us. They've got a great group of people working there.

The location: A little farther from things than I thought it would be, but really a good location. The Dongsi subway station is nearby and there are a few sights within 20-30 minutes of walking. Since it is in the 'hutong' area, it can also be worth longer walks to some other things to see. Because of massive amounts of luggage we set up a driver to and from the airport, so he didn't have a problem getting us there (plus, he spoke English). I could see getting taxis to find it if you don't speak Mandarin could be difficult.

Chinese New Year warning: If you go during Chinese New Year, DO NOT EXPECT TO SLEEP! The hotel was wonderful, but we were all sleep-deprived after a week of seemingly non-stop fireworks in the neighborhood. The fireworks are ALL OVER Beijing then, but with the setting of the courtyard sleep was especially difficult to block them out (plus, the cats that live around the courtyard somewhere were miserable and let us all know it after most of the firework outbursts).

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank hope42morrow
There are newer reviews for Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel

Reviewed 1 February 2012

I arrived on foot from Dongsi Metro Station (line 5) as I had only a light wheelie suitcase. 5 minute walk to the hotel, (walk north then take 4th alleyway to the east - it was labelled in pinyin).

Good: Friendly staff who speak English, upgraded to larger room as it was quiet. Charmingly decorated rooms, clean, free internet on room computer. Very good location if you're going around by metro.

Bad: Radiator was not enough for a Beijing December and the door/window provided no insulation. Turned the A/C unit up and that was ok.

This only reflects one night's stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I loved my 3 nights at the Double Happiness hotel, it was such a great change from staying at the fancy Western style hotels in Chongqing and Chengdu. I didn't want to leave! One word of advice - make sure you have the hotel address/name written in Chinese when you land in Beijing... I only had it written in English and had a hard time getting a cab driver to understand where I was going. The staff at Double Happiness were very nice and helpful and the pub was super cute. Subways were easy to navigate and made me feel like I had a better sense of the city rather than taking taxis everywhere. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank LookKidsTheresBigBen
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I stayed for 4 nights just before the Lunar New Year. The hotel is located in older Beijing and has a great atmosphere. The rooms were extremely clean, and very well appointed. The access to the hotel is a narrow alley-way (like a Hutang) and the hotel has a modest entryway. The hotel is set up where all the rooms open up to a two story courtyard. The staff spoke very clear English and were extremely helpful with laundry, restaurant recommendations, directions, etc. The beds were very comfortable, flat screen TVs, in room computers and wireless, tea service, great free hot breakfast (lots of selections)...all around GREAT value. I will definitely be coming back to this hotel when I return to Beijing!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mitch J
Reviewed 16 January 2012

As mentioned in all the other posts, the hotel itself is lovely, the rooms are unique and comfortable and the staff very friendly. Even with all these qualities, I am still hesitant to recommend to other travelers.

My flight arrived very late on Friday night, well past midnight, and I could tell at the airport that the taxi driver had no idea where the hotel was, even though I should him the chinese map provided on the website. He pulled over and called the hotel for over 20 minutes and it was still difficult to find. Once I knew where it was during daylight, I was able to navigate other taxi drivers with sign language to avoid the same confusion.

I was in Beijiing for less than 48 hours and felt like I was spending quite a bit of time traveling between different sites and the hotel, it's either a 20-30 minute walk to the closets location or the same time on the subway.

I did enjoy walking around a different neighborhood I would not have seen otherwise, but I think if you are in town for just a few nights, it is probably better to stay someplace a bit more central.

There was a lovely courtyard (as in the name) and my room had a private deck, both of which would probably be great in the summer. If you have a week to stay in Beijing, then this place is great, but otherwise, I would suggest someplace else.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo