“Waste of time”

More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 9 August 2016

One of the touted heritage trails, this is simply not worth the time or effort. The trail is impossible to find (there are no directions or sign posts or a map) and once you do figure out where to meander, there's simply nothing to see. It's a long, long MTR ride from Kowloon, plus a long walk or taxi ride to the start of the trail. It's a complete waste of time.

1  Thank Jarko2015
in 3 reviews
"shek"
"station"

Reviewed 23 March 2016

Not many people, even local HK’ers know this part of Hong Kong. On a chance opportunity my husband’s friends took us back to their childhood home. Their childhood home was a part of the Heritage Trail. Although we didn’t walk the whole trail, I’m glad that I can have a chance to see Kun Lung Wai (San Wai). We learned the wall village dated back to 1744 and is now declared a monument. People still live there, please respect their privacy when you visit.
Happy Travelling!

1  Thank faithandhope2live
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I read Dave D's review of this walk before going (titled "Meh"), and I have to say that he is 100% correct. I will add that the walk is downright unpleasant, complete with snarling dogs nosing under corrugated metal fences, animal feces on the sidewalk, and speeding minibuses. On top of it all, almost all of the historic sites are closed to visitors. You are welcome to admire the outer wall and entrance, and that's about it. The walk doesn't even go by any interesting shops or cafes where you can stop, have a drink, and argue about whose idea it was for us to go all the way to the New Territories for this. In a city full of so many interesting things to see -- and so many wonderful opportunities to enjoy walking in nature -- I sadly cannot recommend this heritage trail.

6  Thank PennsylvaniaTom
Reviewed 20 April 2013 via mobile

It's not fair to say this isn't interesting, but for the distance travelled it wasn't amazing. The walk is through a growing suburb, and it doesn't seem like a lot of effort is put into the preservation of the relics.
If you want something unique, go along, but for me it was lacking.

4  Thank Dave D
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I did the walled village section of the trail by Fanling and it was definitely a good experience--one of the best of my trip. It is about an hour outside Hong Kong, but not too difficult to reach with public transportation (and the trip through the New Territories is fun byitself). It certainly gave ma a sense of being someplace different, being able to walk through an old walled village, explore the Taoist Temple and see the skyscrapers of a New Town of 350,000 rising out of rice patties.

The place is not touristy, which I liked. For about six hours I did not see another westerner and many of the stores only had signs in Chinese. I only saw one other person taking the trail, and he was an older Chinese gentleman who was raised in Hong Kong but lived in the US. He helped me with the last part of the trail, as the directions are not always clear. At times it felt like I was in the middle of nowhere, I do not speak any Chinese, and was by myself. I always felt safe and the people were very friendly (though do not count on as many speaking English as in Hong Kong), but some people might not want to do it by themselves.

A lot of the commercial guide books give this short shrift and one actually provides the wrong way to get there. Make sure you get the Hong Kong Walks booklet from the Hong Kong Tourist Board, which can be accessed online. More people should do this, though I am glad it was not touristy when I did it.

9  Thank Andy S