“'United Nations' in Hong Kong”

Carlton Guest House
Ranked #141 of 267 Hong Kong B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 September 2014

We booked Garden Guest House but was placed here. We then realised that floor 15 & 16 hotels at Block C were all under the same management and apparently of the same standard. Our room was small....the smallest we have ever stayed in. However, all was clean, functioning and our wifi was good and fast. The guys at reception were also friendly (many thanks guys) and helpful as we were unfortunate to experience a delay in our luggage arrival. Block C looked like the least busy judging by the people waiting for the elevator. We didn't really have to wait long unlike the Block A residents. Chungking Mansions is a mini United Nations with a large Indian/Pakistani presence. Halal food is easily available. Everything is nearby though. The TST MTR is also just opposite the hotel.
In summary, this is a basic place that is centrally located. Do not stay here if one is expecting the classiest of hotels or environments. However, if looking to stay somewhere close to everything, functional, convenient and on a budget, then maybe it will appeal.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christopher L

Reviewed 12 September 2014

I paid a fair wack for this guest house and on arrival.....after spending ages trying to find the right building and correct lift to go in (1 lift for odd number floors and 1 lift for even number floors) I arrived at the reception area. They informed me there was no rooms left, so they would put me in another room downstairs which the reception staff said was part of the group. So I was taken to Angel Guest House. So my review of Carlton Guest House is based on the fact I was told they are part of the same group.

Quite simply it was disgusting and dirty. The sink was hanging off the wall, the shower hadn't been cleaned for months, the mirror I couldn't use as it was so dirty and there were cockroaches on my bed. I've been all over the world in cheap and expensive guest houses,hostels and hotels and this place was the worst I have ever stayed in by far. I don't really need to say anything more as the pic I have attached say it all.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank LondonKevo
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I travelled to Hong Kong alone and the location for this hotel was excellent. Of course the room is tiny, but what can you expect with this price? The room was clean and I got a good night sleep. Just remember to call the hotel if you check in after 12 at night. The phone numbers in front of hotel don't work. I happened to be lucky and met someone who knew the receptionist. Some people might think the Chung King Mansion is dodgy and even a bit scary, but I don't think so. If you get bothered by Indian people trying to sell you stuff, don't go there. This hotel is in C block which is the least busy one. Block A is a nightmare in the evening. There's a huge queue to the elevators.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This is small, minimalistic accomodation for budget travellers. The room was tiny, very tiny, but clean. It measured around 6 feet width by 10 feet length. There is a tv and a phone, Wifi is free but the speed is poor. The bathroom is also tiny but has hot water.
I saw a couple of rooms occupied by ladies so i think this is a safe place to stay as well.
I will stay here again if im travelling alone on business.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank miteshmerchant
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed 2 nights on october 2013. The room was very small, there's no room for our luggage, the air conditioner needs to be switched off in order to turn on the water heater. The wifi did not work at all. The towels was very smelly. And the access to the hotel was very stingy. But the manager was nice, and below there's a lot of halal food for the muslims. But still, i do not recommend the hotel!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family