“Excellent value for money and great location”

Bishop Lei International House
Ranked #152 of 725 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 8 September 2017

Typical Hong Kong hotel, with relatively small guest rooms, but for the location and a price of US$75 per night, certainly good value.

Typical Asian mattress . . . much harder than those in North American hotels. But then, in North America we sleep on soft pillows, whereas some Chinese, such as my friend’s grandmother, still sleeps on a Chinese porcelain pillow (i.e., a brick pillow).
Hotel is clean. The furnishings and amenities are simple but adequate.

Service is reasonable. The staff is friendly and helpful.

Hourly courtesy shuttle to Hong Kong Station. There is also convenient bus service. Tell the hotel where you would like to go, and they’ll suggest the best ways of getting there.

Room Tip: Rooms fronting on the harbour offer more quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank KodoDrummer
BISHOPLEIHTL, Manager at Bishop Lei International House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2017

Thank you very much for spending your valuable time in reviewing us. Knowing that you like our service and location is very rewarding for us. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

I stayed once 6 years ago when I arrived in HK before I had the chance to rent a place. It is convenient for sure. It is on Robinson Road which is a short walk from the mid-levels escalator 5-6 minutes) and there is a bus stop right outside the hotel (12 goes to IFC mall Airport Express/Central MTR; 40, 12M and 23 go to Admiralty MTR). I rented a flat on Robinson Road for 6 years and I stayed in B Lei on the way out of HK too (Sept 2017). The first time 6 years ago I stayed in the smallest room possible. I couldn't actually open my suitcase except in the hallway between front door and the rest of the room. I then had to long jump between front door and the rest of the room. Ok the way out of my time in HK ie Sept 2017 I stayed in the grand suite which isn't much bigger but more like a small hotel room rather than one that is so tiny you start taking photos and sending it to your friends and family at home because it is so amazingly small. I can open two suitcases in the 'TV room' and there is a desk in the TV room and a sofa and safe. They provide the fluffy white slippers in plastic.
The lifts are extremely slow and the staff use gel as I guess the building is too thin to have a service lift. Be aware when you are checking g out to allow extra time to get downstairs via the lifts. Then when you check out you need another 5 minutes while someone goes up the lifts to your room to check you haven't taken anything. The staff push the lift close button as they exit the lifts which is helpful. There is a price list for the lamps and towels etc. People must steal things from this hotel? Not sure why as the decor is from 1970. It is dark and the colour scheme is dark green and white and grey and pine wood brown and there is a beige couch and dark marble bathroom and the whole thing could do with a refresh. Why do hotels have carpets? Maybe for sound proofing but it just seems so dirty. We also had a cheesey smell in the room. I tried to ignore it and just think it was cheese crisps.
The sheets and bathroom are clean enough. No problem there. I didn't need flip flops in the bathroom. The white sheets seem to be around a duvet and they don't need seem to have those fuzzy brown blankets which is good.
Breakfast is simple but good enough as there is so much other cheap and good food in HK. They have white and brown toast that looks ok and very white white white looking raisin toast with two raisins per slice (not luxury) and jam in small packets. Dodgy looking cheap yoghurts full of emulsifiers and sugar, limp looking salad and cherry tomatoes. Croissants that you get on an airline (they look deflated and very soft). Having said that this hotel is cheap as HK hotels are expensive so don't expect too much as it is a good price.
There is a free hourly (pretty much) shuttle which can take luggage but you may have to carry your suitcase up and down the two steps of the mini bus yourself at both ends. It is awkward if you have large heavy suitcases. If you have a small carry on suitcase that would be fine.

On the plus side the views are amazing. He mid-levels escalator goes down from 6am - 10am and then up from 10am to midnight daily.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
BISHOPLEIHTL, Manager at Bishop Lei International House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Thank you very much for spending your valuable time in reviewing us as well as providing so much information to our future guests. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the view of Central Skyline from the Grand Harbour View Suite although some of the room conditions were not up to your expectation. Please be recommended one of our Duplex Suites on the 23rd floor that provide extra space in the lounge area, extra stunning view of Central and the bedroom on the upper deck provides high privacy if you are inviting friends to come over for a meeting. Thank you again for choosing us and we look forward to your returning to stay at Bishop Lei International House in the near future.

Reviewed 4 September 2017

The cons. We booked 2 rooms. But they did not put us on the same floor. After 2 weeks I am still waiting for my deposit. Only 22 tv channels, nothing for english speaking children. Location is in Mid-Levels so if you have trouble walking it is only accessable by taxi/bus/hotel shuttle.

The pros. The swimming pool with view over a part of HK island. Free shuttle service to 4 Central/Admiralty/Convention Centre/HK Airport Express. Friendly service. Fast and always smiling. Hotel is next to the free botanical gardens. Bus stops in front of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for stayed with us. We shall incorporate your comments for continual improvement. If you are referring to the incidental deposit that we pre-authorised from the credit card upon check-in, we usually release authorised amount (or remaining amount after expenses) to credit card upon guests' departure, the two week processing time is required by our local bank to manage releasing authorisation with the card issuing bank. Since this is not an actual amount that we deducted from your credit card, the released credit card limits might not be shown on the credit card statement. Instead, please feel free to check your credit card limit with the card issuing bank or kindly contact us for details. We hope you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you soon in the near future.

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

Stayed here with my older brother for a night after a flight got cancelled. We booked the hotel in a rush and did not look very much into the details of the booking. Once we got there and checked in (you pay here at check in) we asked if the room includes breakfast. We received a positive response and given the times and place it is served. In the morning we went to breakfast and received a check at the table. After asking about it I was assured it was still included in the price of room. At check out I was asked to pay for that breakfast, saying the room only included breakfast for one person. Not a single person I spoke to before bothered to mention this fact, even tho I specifically asked about breakfast being included or not.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank AsafB1S
BISHOPLEIHTL, Manager at Bishop Lei International House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2017

Thank you so much for your review. It was indeed an individual case and we hope this incident will not mar your overall impression on our hotel. Please rest assured we shall incorporate your comment into our staff training programme for continual improvements. Thank you again for choosing Bishop Lei International House and we look forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

I booked this hotel for my wife and son when they went to Hong Kong and paid full price using my credit card. Later an email came saying they need to bring the credit card for verification, or the cardholder has to be present when check in. Sounds fair. So my wife brought my card with her. I even wrote a letter saying I authorise her to use my card in any transaction. Later I got my credit card account statement which clearly shows this hotel charged my card already.

But when she and our son tried to check in the hotel asked her to pay the full cost again! saying it's not her credit card. And they will refund me two months later onto my credit card. It's clear the hotel doesn't want to live up to its own words. We are worried they will never refund me at all afterwards. We don't live in Hong Kong. Impossible to take it to court if no refund coming.

So my wife asked them to give her back the second cash payment. They refused to pay back! Twice! On third attempt they reluctantly gave her back the second payment.

Unbelievable! Please avoid this dodgy hotel, folks!

Room Tip: Forget this dodgy hotel. The worst ever.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank qqqqqqqqSydney
BISHOPLEIHTL, Manager at Bishop Lei International House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2017

Thank you so much for your review. After investigation, we at last accepted the card holder's authorisation for the initial payment and returned the second payment.

Please be clarified that we normally request the second payment since the card holder who settled the prepayment of promotion bookings was not able to be present at our House for signature verification; while our house would request the bank a refund of the initial payment to the credit card on the day of the second payment received.

It was indeed an individual case and we hope this incident will not mar your trip in Hong Kong.

Thank you again for stayed with us.