3,513 results
All reviews cosmopolitan hotel happy valley racecourse race course times square causeway bay jockey club shuttle bus family quad room shuttle service ocean park free wifi deluxe room sister hotel hk station free calls mobile phone city view
Reviewed 21 November 2017 via mobile

This was our first visit to Hong Kong and the hotel was booked for us by a friend, so we didn’t know what to expect. We were very pleasantly surprised. The reception staff were very friendly and efficient and a special thanks goes to Laurence for the excellent personal attention.

Our room, overlooking the racecourse, was quiet, spacious, clean and comfortable. The cleaning staff did a good job making the room spotless each day.

Breakfast was very good, the food varied and catering for the needs of a wide clientele. We looked forward to breakfast each day of our stay.

The only issue we had with our stay at the hotel was the cost of laundry which was quite exorbitant. Apart from that minor point we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be staying there on our next trip to Hong Kong.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
DorsettWanchai, General Manager at Dorsett Wanchai, Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2017

Dear Peter,
Thank you for your valuable comments. We are delighted to hear that you had a great stay with us and appreciated our services. In the future we will continue providing the best stay experience to all guests in Dorsett Wanchai, Hong Kong. Look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

Stayed at the Dorsett recently for q vacation with friends, the hotel was clean and tidy and staff made every effort to make our stay an enjoyable one.

It's positioned next to the racecourse and a short walk to Wan Chai and Causeway bay. Not MTR station nearby so be prepared to walk or grab a taxi.

Rooms are compact but suitable enough. Lobby/bar area was nice and they offered some entertainment in the evenings.

My biggest frustration/dislike of the hotel was its wifi policy. You were only allowed 1 device for free wifi. I needed to do some work whilst I was there so needed to pay by the hour. In this day and age I find this unacceptable.

Certainly good value for money

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Dorsett Wanchai, Hong Kong is located amid Wanchai and Causeway Bay where the closest MTR Station is just in minutes of walk. Your comment on the WiFi policy is well noted for future improvement. In the future we will continue providing the best stay experience to all guests in Dorsett Wanchai, Hong Kong. Look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2017

They gave our 4 year old a gift package when we arrived, it was a great start to the trip. They also had a daily free candy basket 4-6 pm. Our family had a large 4 person 6th fl & a tiny 2 person 22fl room. The tiny room was arranged in a way which was comfortable even with 2 day visitors in room. The large room was fine for 4 people and three day visitors though it needs a second chair for the desk. The huge wall size window made the small rooms feel large & not confining. The lower floor room had an half km open field of vision view, which made it pleasant and airy. The upper room looked on the cemetery which was interesting to Westerners. The rooms felt quite private, the privacy & additional blackout curtains worked perfect. Huge and heavy doors still could not keep out the hallway noise. The beds were comfortable with high quality quilt (lots of pillows). The bathroom was a nice size though it needed a fan to keep down humidity and maybe brighter lights by the mirror. Had combined shower-tub with pulsator. The water falling out of the shower was not a problem for us. There was plenty of hot water on the 6th floor, however, the high pipes prevented the hot water from reaching the 22nd floor room. The rooms were newly painted and appeared new like. The differing materials made the room decor very nice though adding a painting is expected for this quality of an hotel. The hotel package included a breakfast buffet, that was great for Westerners. Lots of choices, though the egg station really could not make an omelette. Pastries were much better than I would expect in Asia. The free shuttle was a great value for us, we used it everyday, however, it really only works leaving the hotel and not for the return. They give you a FREE CELLPHONE to use anywhere in Hong Kong. The room had FREE WI-FI, once we got over the difficulty of high-tech set-up, was great for 6 people. The small lobby was well designed and used by everyone. The tiny lobby bar seemed popular. We use their convenient lobby Travel Consultant. We did not wait for Taxis, though we heard some people had to. Front desk and all the staff had fantastic English skills. The manager greeted us twice. Note: there are special discount for little kids.

Liked the location only 1.7km to Wanchai Station. We mostly took the free hotel shuttle everyday to Hong Kong Station to start are activities, except for a taxi to Ocean Park and a bus to Stanley (in front of Sikh temple). Even with 10 days we never made it to Upscale Causeway Bay. Many restaurant near by. Turn left out of the hotel to the Sikh Temple then right across street stairs to the 30 family restaurants near by or just go to the Hennessy Road by the train station for good choices.

Best way to get to the hotel is by (use octopus card purchased at airport) Airport Bus A11 Stop 11 Hennessy-Stewart $40HK/PAX 1hr. Return airport hotel shuttle Causeway Bay walk to A11 Stop 11 Elizabeth House (talk drive into onroute canal road drop and the stop is 3 meter away). Arriving take quick taxi outside bus or walk easy 1.7km by turning right out of bus follow tram track till it turns right across street following right all the way to the hotel. Using a road under pass in front of hotel with elevator.

Room Tip: Rooms facing south east have a great field of vision making them feel very large.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank mjdztep
DorsettWanchai, General Manager at Dorsett Wanchai, Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2017

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your lovely comments. We are delighted to know that you had a great stay with us and appreciated our location and services. In the future we will continue providing the best stay experience to all guests in Dorsett Wanchai, Hong Kong. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

Many of the features of this hotel were excellent. The Lobby staff especially deserve a mention. They include the check in staff and the attendants that assisted with luggage and also getting taxis, assisting with using the hotel shuttle etc. The Shuttle service was such a great service having free regular mini bus trips to Causeway Bay and to Central etc was a godsend. Everyone raves about the public transport in Hong Kong and while the hotel is opposite a tram stop and is close to bus routes, it is not so close to the MTR so the shuttle really filled the gap.

My wife and I stayed in room 2106 and that overlooked the Happy Valley Racecourse, which made for a great view, especially on Wednesday night when the racecourse hosted a race meeting. I'd have liked a larger room (there was only one chair available in the room) but what we had was sufficient for a week's stay.

One other absolute winner was that our room came with a mobile phone we could use as a internet hotspot for free around the city. That phone and the internet access 24/7 anywhere in Hong Kong was another godsend.

Now for a few gripes:
We got a week of complimentary breakfasts when we checked in which was brilliant and unexpected, but not to seem too precious, I'm glad we didn't pay for the breakfasts as the food and selection generally was not fantastic mostly just adequate I understand that the smallish breakfast room has to cater for a wide range of international tastes but I felt the food was underwhelming.

I felt that the standard of daily house keeping was below par. We regularly had to request additional toilet rolls and tissues and the room was given only a brief clean most days. Also when we were out, the air conditioning was changed a few times away from the setting we'd selection and I can't figure out why. One day it was as low as 10 C one other day it was in the high 20s C...

The other thing I couldn't get over considering that we are in the 21st Century was the poor TV reception. I know you don't to overseas to watch TV generally, but I'm a little old fashioned and like to have it on in the background etc. Some channels failed to work at all, others were static-y and some had decidedly low sound or poor sound quality. Anyway, it a small thing but there you go.

Finally, I know room service is never cheap but the small range and high prices meant that we never really considered it even though a couple of times when we were exhausted we'd have preferred to eat in rather than have to head out somewhere.

Like I said before, it was well worth staying at the Dorsett Wan Chai for a week and generally everything was very good.

Room Tip: Ask Racecourse view if you are inclined
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
DorsettWanchai, General Manager at Dorsett Wanchai, Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your valuable comments. Please be assured that the service you encountered was not reflecting the standard of services we always strive to deliver, and we believe these were only an occasional case during your stay this time. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.Your comments on the in-room facilities and breakfast options are well noted for future improvement. In the future we will continue providing the best stay experience to all guests in Dorsett Wanchai, Hong Kong. Look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed 15 November 2017

Firstly please note that in fairness we had been spoilt with excellent staff, excellent breakfasts and friendliness for two and a half weeks in Vietnam and Cambodia and were probably expecting a lot from the "big & glamorous" Hong Kong.

From the moment we arrived we noticed the difference in attitudes. Here (and I think in fairness throughout Hong Kong) people i.e. staff are busy and focussed and not in any way happy or friendly. Baggage was attended efficiently enough, check-in was equally efficient but brisk/brusque!

Positive point - we wanted a double bed and so were advised we had been upgraded to a family room with two double beds - we were a little "excited".

Take this as a positive or negative but yes we had two double beds - the room however was no bigger (possibly a little smaller than a UK travellodge bedroom and so we needed the bed space to park our suitcases. If we had been travelling with children, then this room would have been entirely inadequate for anything more than one night and preferably if you only had hand luggage.

At breakfast service was similarly brusque and we had to sit at tables with other people rather than on our own - wasn't a particular problem but isn't a positive point and may have been more of a problem for other people.

The breakfast was also gave a lot less choice than we had become accustomed to and was, in my opinion, pretty bland and the european items were mostly mass produced.

The worst point I am afraid was cleanliness. As I thought I had lost a tablet, I had to get down on the floor to look under the beds for it (granted I would not normally do that, but thats not the point!). Under the beds I found a hair scrunchy, a half litre bottle of water, a spare room key (!), a childrens tub of sweets and sundry paper tissues (yuk) and sweet wrappers. I left these on the dresser with a note for the cleaners. However as a note to Management, when I told the receptionist on check-out her reply was "OK". Not exactly the response I expected, nor, I am sure, the one that should be given.

There are no facilities (gym, pool etc) in this hotel but I am sure given the space constraints in HK that this is pretty standard.

On the positive points - this is well-placed for an easy walk to shops and restaurants. Access to public transport is relatively nearby. There was no noise. The toiletries were very nice. It has shuttle facilities to conference centres and so is probably more appealing to delegates & businessmen. The beds, bedding and pillows were very good and we slept well.

As I mentioned our stay was probably tarnished by the comparison to our previous few weeks but there are points in here for Hotel Management and travelling families.

Room Tip: Note my comments re family rooms
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jrapeter

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments. We regret to hear that your stay did not meet your expectation this time. Please be assured that the service you encountered was not reflecting the standard of services we always strive to deliver. We sincerely apologize if any inconvenience caused and we will definitely remind all the staff to ensure excellent hygiene condition of all rooms. We would also like to thank for your comments on our breakfast for our continuous improvements. On your next visit, we recommend you to try out our other room types that measure up to 48 sq. m with the breathtaking racecourse or Causeway Bay city view for more spacious and comfortable stay. In the future we will continue providing the bet stay experience to all guests in Dorsett Wanchai, Hong Kong. Look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.