“Mirador Mansion,Tsim Sha Tsui, Hongkong” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of USA Hostel Hong Kong

USA Hostel Hong Kong
Philippines
“Mirador Mansion,Tsim Sha Tsui, Hongkong”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2009

I visited HK last June 3, 2009. USA Hostel is ok in terms of location, though the room is small but if your in a budget this is the right place for you to stay. I had a bad experience with one of the store. I would like to warn all travelers don't ever buy gadgets to this store"Intelligence Audio and Video Limited " this is located at Shop 3, G/F, Mirador Mansion, 54-64B, Nathan Road, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon. I bought a camera that was over price more than 100% of the regular price so I was charge double. The tactics of the sales person is to let you see the product features after they swipe your card ,without knowing that the camera your buying is not a compete set. This is the biggest mistake I made, I let them swipe my card without seeing the whole package I'm buying. They will pressure you with the time so you won't have time to change your mind. So beware, don't ever buy without searching the true price of a certain product in the internet.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
23 Thank angeldal_100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bombay
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2009

We were looking for something affordable in HK so we booked this hostel.
Once inside the hostel - the rooms are just ok, and extremely small, with rubbish views. The bathroom was tiny, with see through doors. However, the hostel staff is fairly co-operative, and once your inside, its safe. There is no food, or room service. Just drinking Water in the common area.
The hostel is in a commercial building at the Kowloon side, and the rooms are only in a small part of the building on the 13th floor. The area is very dodgy, esp for young girls. We had to be very cautious when we returned from our day excursions at night. We were allowed entry only on showing our passport to the security guard. There are several notorious people outside the building. During the day we were constantly nagged by fake bag/watch sellers. Even within the building there are some shady people, one night we were followed by some strange man uptill the hostel door.
At night to get to the hotel you can only take cabs, as the mtr shuts post 12. Cabs are fairly expensive from HK side to Kowloon.
However, the shopping in the TST area is decent, and there is easy access to the MTR and ferry terminal.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The Area
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank Amskeatng

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2009

A couple of friends and I stayed here while visiting Hong Kong. It is located in the Mirador Mansion on the Kowloon side. It was very difficult to find in this "mansion" which was really a gigantic building filled with shady hostels and shady people. I was glad I was traveling with such a big group because otherwise I would have been terrified. There is no "front desk" or point person per se, only a person sitting in a folding chair at the end of your hallway who will take your money but otherwise was completely unhelpful. Our clothes got soaked in a rainstorm the first day, so we had them washed and they lost some of our laundry and got grease stains on the rest of it.
The room itself was surprisingly clean, but small with no hot water. The only redeeming thing I can say is that it seemed to be better than some of the other hostels in the Mirador Mansion. I would not stay here again though.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank travelchi_9
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2009

Let's get it straight. It's a hostel, not a hotel. The hostel is located in Mirador mansion in a building that is chock full of other little guest houses and hostel.

I do not recommend you stay here if you're on your honeymoon. You'll never hear the end of it. It's really for backpackers and single travellers. My wife and I stayed here for one night (we booked for several) and she got so annoyed that we ended up just going to another hotel. Good thing this wasn't my choice. :-)

Reason? The room's are quite small.

Ladies staying here would do well to ensure they stay with a friend. There's a couple of dangerous blindspots.

Note that the main lifts shuts down at 10PM at night however there is another set of lifts in the building that operates 24/7.

The building is also a bit on the old side and a bit sleazy. Which is the norm for buildings of it's kind in that area.

Now that's the negative. The positives: The rooms are neat, and there's wi fi internet for anyone with a laptop. Each room has their own little shower and toilet. The hostel is located in an excellent part of Tsim Sha Tsui (right on Nathan road) and it's less then five minutes from the nearest MRT and bus stops, Being Hong Kong, there's food stall all around, even a few vegetarian restaurants. It's a short walk to Kowloon Park.

Overall, stay here if you're a guy travelling alone, backpackers or a ladies travelling with a gal pals. Families and honeymooners definitely not recommended.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank KaKwok
TW
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2008

plz, really, even you are in burget, dont go into USA hotel. it will make you badmood all along the trip

1. there is no hot water in the afternoon. so make sure you get up early to have the hot shower, exp in Dec. Also in the night time, the hot water will become cold becoz too many people to share the hot water

2. the staff is super unfriendly. they wont care you but only your money. if you have problem, byebye, get away.

3. the Room is horrible. there is no window. you cannot tell you are in the day or night.

4.After shower, the floor is full of water. you need to mop the floor by yourself becoz no one will help you. maybe you need to prepare you own mop for the trip if you are going to get into usa hotel

5. the linen is super dirty. luckily i prepared my linen already. otherwise i think sleep on the street is better.

6.the day when i check out. i nearly get angry!!!! i woke up eaily then went out for the breadfast. when i came back my door was opened and my belongings were left in the room with no one care. then i closed door again and then went out on the street to buy some things for my fds. when i came back (arround 10am), the door was opened again!!! I asked the reception they said that tney were reminding my to check out! that is so [-].

7. I booked a room with big bed but finally they gave my a single bed. They said they were full booking but i reserved the room two weeks before already, so finally i and my friend need to sleep on a small bed.

8. i wonder the commnets sayiing that "USA hotel is good and prefect" is truth or not. maybe william or sandy make it by themselves

• Liked — location. in TST, nearly MTR
  • Disliked — too much.
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank lisa_chiang