“Enough with the truffle oil!!!”
Review of Amber

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central
Description: With a stunning dining room as its backdrop, Culinary Director Richard Ekkebus' contemporary interpretation of French cuisine has earned numerous awards, including two Michelin stars, and No. 24 on The World's 50 Best Restaurants List 2017. Using only the finest ingredients, Chef Ekkebus uses his classical training and creativity to invent dishes to excite. Blending cutting-edge style with inventive lighting, the restaurant's dramatic design provides the perfect setting for Amber's award-winning cuisine. With a breathtaking bronze chandelier as its centrepiece, the décor uses warm natural hues to create an elegant ambience that allows the masterful menu to be the focus of what is an incredible dining experience.
Reviewed 20 February 2024

Enough with the truffle oil and slimy gelatin with every course. The service was impeccable despite the disappointing food quality. The 8 course meal became mundane after the 3rd course with truffle this and truffle that. I was doing my best to get through the meal up until the burnt fois gras was too much to forgive. $1500 USD for 2 (with the enigma pairing + amazing 2013 Dom) was a bit much for a boring attempt with no imagination of flavor!!

Date of visit: February 2024
Hong Kong The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, 其他 at Amber, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2024

Dear coopkt

Thank you for your candid feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to write this review. We would love to have the opportunity to get in touch with you and learn more about your thoughts. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at lauralatry@mohg.com. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 13 February 2024

my hubby brought me to Amber for birthday lunch. I havent been to Amber for quite some time and now they offer lunch set with free flow which is so perfect for me! the ultra premium free flow offers great wines and really worth the price!
the food was really good and i really do love the service. how the professional servers presented the dishes definitely enhanced the appetite!
the lunch went so well that i got the whole list of servers who served us, really thank you to Laura, Batuhan, Suku, Sabnam, Arthur, Katrina, Bipika, Mark, Gap, Constance, Scott, Franky and Kenny! truly appreciated!
Special thanks to Arthur who presented the dishes so well, Katrina with great smile and who conveyed my message to kitchen and Gap who was so attentive to my glasses!

Date of visit: February 2024
1  Thank ivytsang212
Hong Kong The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, 其他 at Amber, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2024

Dear ivytsang212

Thank you for writing us such a FANtastic review! It is delighted to know that your birthday celebration experience at Amber was a memorable one, from the ambience to the food and our service. Your warm compliments have been shared with the team.

Guest satisfaction is always our top priority and we are committed to offering the most unforgettable experiences.

Reviewed 18 January 2024

My wife and I and our daughter celebrated our 20th Anniversary at Amber last night. I personnally had been for dinner and lunch before, but not my wife.

The ambiance:
The restaurant was re-decorated a few years ago and the new decoration looks much better than before. Newer style, very clean, the tables are very spacious. The restaurant was only half full last night so it was also very quiet. Everything on the table was clean and tidy, as it should be with a 2 Michelin star restaurant.

The staff:
The staff is well trained, very amicable and willing to chat just the right amount. The dishes were explained very clearly and my wife (who is an excellent cook herself) was able to ask questions. Getting the attention of the staff was no issue.

Visit of the kitchen:
With our Full Amber Experience came a visit of the kitchen. A nice touch that we appreciated, which I don't think too many restaurants in HK offer. Our Spanish Mackerel dish was prepared before our eyes by the chef with full explanation. We then had our dish in the kitchen while the chef was explaining to us how the whole kitchen is working. A totally cool experience.

The wine list:
The wine list is extensive and comparable to Restaurant Petrus for example, and more extensive than Gaddis. The markups are a little on the high side compared to other fine dining restaurants in HK. I had chosen my wine in advance and went with a 2012 Malhadinha (a red Portuguese wine) that lived up to my expextations entirely. The glasses used by the sommelier were the correct ones.

The food:
The menu is an absolute masterpiece. Each dish is extremely well crafted, the ingredients used of the highest quality. The flavours are very complex and goes along very well with the presentation of the dishes. 2 things to note:
- the menus are entirely sustainably sourced and Amber gets a Green Star from Michelin for this.
- there is a vegetarian menu option, which my daughter ordered, and the portions are meaningfully more copious than the non-vegetarian menu, similar to my previous experience at Amber. Not an issue of course, but worth noting.

Our Anniversary dinner was a complete success, and we'll definitely come back to Amber.

Date of visit: January 2024
1  Thank JeanHelly
Hong Kong The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, 其他 at Amber, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2024

Dear JeanHelly

Thank you for writing us such a FANtastic review! It is delighted to know that your anniversary experience at Amber was a memorable one, from the ambience to the food and our service. It is glad to see that you have enjoyed our signature Kitchen Experience and the vegetarian menu. Your warm compliments have been shared with the team.

Reviewed 9 January 2024 via mobile

My wife and I revisited Amber for a birthday lunch celebration after many years - the last time was some years back before its renovation.

We liked the softer ambiance and the natural light filled space.

The dishes were meticulously put together with taste profiles as precisely executed as we could remember. We chose the “Extended Amber Experience” with four courses and it was sumptuous and satisfying.

We were delighted by the prawn consommé which was flavoursome, the tooth fish and scallop with was tender with freshness, the duck that was so gamey, while the signature Red Sea Urchin “cauliflower” lobster caviar was as memorable as our last visit.

The petit four combo was one of the most impressive with fruits, and freshly made Ying Yang (coffee and tea) mix.

Staff were professional and attentive, who explained each dish clearly; and the wine list comprehensive and advice was spot on - the range of wine-by-the-glass is large.

We enjoyed the experience from start to finish, with each element working nicely together.

Date of visit: January 2024
1  Thank tobeslo
Hong Kong The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, 其他 at Amber, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2024

Dear tobeslo

Thank you for writing us such a FANtastic review! It is delighted to know that your birthday experience at Amber was a memorable one, from the ambience to the food and our service. It is glad to see that you have enjoyed one of our signature dishes – Red Sea Urchin. Your warm compliments have been shared with the team.

Reviewed 24 October 2023 via mobile

Best Experience! Best Cuisine! Best Service!
4 Michelin Stars + 1 Green Michelin Star!

It was an unforgettable experience in Amber the Landmark Mandarin Oriental. My friend and I booked a table for 2 in Amber for a special Four Hands Dinner of Amber x Syrco BASE in 13 Courses menu. I really enjoyed the new concept of Amber restaurant after the renovation.
(Amber's progressive menu showcases pure flavours, masterful techniques and chef Richard Ekkebus's creative vision. Taking a thoughtful approach to fine dining, the new menu dispenses with dairy products, minimises refined sugar and reduces salt.
Diners appreciate the flavours in their purest form.)

Needless to say the guest chef Syrco created an amazing & interesting menu with the combination of Dutch & Indonesian flavours. My favourite dishes are the Pigeon Kobocha Foie Gras from Amber and the Grouper Turmeric Cabbage from Syrco BASE. Looking forward to the new restaurant Syrco BASE opening in Bali in Q4 2023. I will definitely recommend these two restaurants for everyone.

Date of visit: October 2023
1  Thank DayTrip52176021180
The Landmark Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong, Other at Amber, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2023

Dear DayTrip52176021180

Thank you for writing us such a FANtastic review! We are delighted to know that you were impressed by our culinary delicacies and our attentive service at Amber. Your warm compliments have been shared with the team.

Thank you for visiting us again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.