“Amber is a gem that I highly recommend to anyone who loves French cuisine.”
Review of Amber

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central
Description: A contemporary French fine-dining restaurant that has been awarded both two-star and Green-star Michelin status helmed by Culinary Director Richard Ekkebus. Since its launch, Amber has challenged the status quo of fine dining in Hong Kong and beyond, attracting a global audience of discerning gourmands for its innovative approach to French cuisine. In the elegantly composed dining room created by renowned New York firm Tihany Design, Chef Ekkebus and his team continue to redefine cuisine for a modern audience and push their limits to new levels such as pioneering an indulgent and luxurious experience in a more sustainable philosophy.
Reviewed 11 March 2024 via mobile

Amber is definitely one of my favourite place for French fine dining in Hong Kong.
I have visited Amber three times in the past year, and each time was a wonderful experience. The food was exquisite, with beautiful presentation. Everything was prepared in perfection with the best ingredients.
The service was impeccable, especially from Ms. Suku, the Assistant Manager. She was very caring and attentive, and made us feel very welcome. She introduced each dish in detail. She was very knowledgeable and professional.
Amber is a gem that I highly recommend to anyone who loves French cuisine. It is a place where you can enjoy a memorable meal with your loved ones.

Date of visit: December 2023
1  Thank GraceYannie
Hong Kong The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, 其他 at Amber, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2024

Dear GraceYannie

Thank you for your 5-star rating! It is delighted to know that your lunch experience at Amber was a memorable one, from the ambience to the food and our service.. Your warm compliments have been shared with Suku and the team.

Guest satisfaction is always our top priority and we are truly grateful for your continuous support.

Reviewed 26 February 2024 via mobile

I went to Amber with a friend 2 days ago and we both thoroughly enjoyed our dinner.

The tasting menu featured some very fresh and high quality ingredients. While all savoury dishes were very delicious, the following were particularly memorable:

1. the iconic Aka Uni dish
2. Normandy scallop with winter truffle which we had in the kitchen
3. French lamb which comprised 3 different parts. The meat was perfectly cooked. It’s very tender and juicy with a unique fragrance.

The dessert wasn’t bad. But I’m kind of old-school and would have preferred some traditional or classic French pastry dessert.

As always, the service was impeccable. All the staff were professional, knowledgeable and courteous.

Highly recommended.

1  Thank Egon70
Hong Kong The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, 其他 at Amber, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2024

Dear Egon 70,

Thank you for writing us such a FANtastic review! It is delighted to know that your dinner experience at Amber was a memorable one, from the ambience to the food and our service. It is glad to see that you have enjoyed one of our signature dishes – Aka Uni and more. Your warm compliments have been shared with the team.

Guest satisfaction is always our top priority and we are committed to offering the most unforgettable experiences.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 20 February 2024

Enough with the truffle oil and slimy gelatin with every course. The service was impeccable despite the disappointing food quality. The 8 course meal became mundane after the 3rd course with truffle this and truffle that. I was doing my best to get through the meal up until the burnt fois gras was too much to forgive. $1500 USD for 2 (with the enigma pairing + amazing 2013 Dom) was a bit much for a boring attempt with no imagination of flavor!!

Date of visit: February 2024
Hong Kong The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, 其他 at Amber, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2024

Dear coopkt

Thank you for your candid feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to write this review. We would love to have the opportunity to get in touch with you and learn more about your thoughts. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at lauralatry@mohg.com. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 13 February 2024

my hubby brought me to Amber for birthday lunch. I havent been to Amber for quite some time and now they offer lunch set with free flow which is so perfect for me! the ultra premium free flow offers great wines and really worth the price!
the food was really good and i really do love the service. how the professional servers presented the dishes definitely enhanced the appetite!
the lunch went so well that i got the whole list of servers who served us, really thank you to Laura, Batuhan, Suku, Sabnam, Arthur, Katrina, Bipika, Mark, Gap, Constance, Scott, Franky and Kenny! truly appreciated!
Special thanks to Arthur who presented the dishes so well, Katrina with great smile and who conveyed my message to kitchen and Gap who was so attentive to my glasses!

1  Thank ivytsang212

Dear ivytsang212

Thank you for writing us such a FANtastic review! It is delighted to know that your birthday celebration experience at Amber was a memorable one, from the ambience to the food and our service. Your warm compliments have been shared with the team.

Reviewed 18 January 2024

My wife and I and our daughter celebrated our 20th Anniversary at Amber last night. I personnally had been for dinner and lunch before, but not my wife.

The ambiance:
The restaurant was re-decorated a few years ago and the new decoration looks much better than before. Newer style, very clean, the tables are very spacious. The restaurant was only half full last night so it was also very quiet. Everything on the table was clean and tidy, as it should be with a 2 Michelin star restaurant.

The staff:
The staff is well trained, very amicable and willing to chat just the right amount. The dishes were explained very clearly and my wife (who is an excellent cook herself) was able to ask questions. Getting the attention of the staff was no issue.

Visit of the kitchen:
With our Full Amber Experience came a visit of the kitchen. A nice touch that we appreciated, which I don't think too many restaurants in HK offer. Our Spanish Mackerel dish was prepared before our eyes by the chef with full explanation. We then had our dish in the kitchen while the chef was explaining to us how the whole kitchen is working. A totally cool experience.

The wine list:
The wine list is extensive and comparable to Restaurant Petrus for example, and more extensive than Gaddis. The markups are a little on the high side compared to other fine dining restaurants in HK. I had chosen my wine in advance and went with a 2012 Malhadinha (a red Portuguese wine) that lived up to my expextations entirely. The glasses used by the sommelier were the correct ones.

The food:
The menu is an absolute masterpiece. Each dish is extremely well crafted, the ingredients used of the highest quality. The flavours are very complex and goes along very well with the presentation of the dishes. 2 things to note:
- the menus are entirely sustainably sourced and Amber gets a Green Star from Michelin for this.
- there is a vegetarian menu option, which my daughter ordered, and the portions are meaningfully more copious than the non-vegetarian menu, similar to my previous experience at Amber. Not an issue of course, but worth noting.

Our Anniversary dinner was a complete success, and we'll definitely come back to Amber.

Date of visit: January 2024
1  Thank JeanHelly
Hong Kong The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, 其他 at Amber, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2024

Dear JeanHelly

Thank you for writing us such a FANtastic review! It is delighted to know that your anniversary experience at Amber was a memorable one, from the ambience to the food and our service. It is glad to see that you have enjoyed our signature Kitchen Experience and the vegetarian menu. Your warm compliments have been shared with the team.