Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel (SPG by Marriott International)
US$51
US$156
US$34
US$28
Agoda.com
All reviewsplaza indonesiabutler servicefloor to ceiling windowsbose sound systemfavorite musicspg platinumconnected directlyluxurious experienceindoor poollate checkdirect accessgrand hyattrain showerrooms are hugein room diningthe executive loungeworking desk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed at the Keraton for nearly 30 nights over the past 2 months. A few things to note about this hotel
1. Rooms are gynormous - the standard room is larger and more spacious than suites at many hotels. Think 600+ sq. ft.
2. Facilities are top of the line - bose speakers, 46 inch TV, Toto automatic toilet, Massive rain shower, full length windows, highest quality gym equipment
3. Great location
4. Top service

If your budget allows - go for it!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel (SPG by Marriott International), responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear preritjain1988

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you have had such good stays over the last couple of months. It is very rewarding for the team to receive this feedback.

Please do let me know when you plan to return and I will be delighted to assit you with your booking.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed at this lovely hotel for 3 nights. Their butler service is top notch, but there are plenty of rooms for improvements. For example, I asked them to reconfirm my flights but was told that they are unable to contact the airline / no one answer the phone. I rang the airline directly, and got picked up straightaway - Wierd...
Butler also helped buying me medicine from the mall upon arrival.
The Jacuzzi hot and cold spa is to die for.
Breakfast is excellent and plenty on offer - pity they dont do real bacon (only beef bacon).
Generous with their mineral water - which is necessary for city like Jakarta, where the bath tub water is yellow - avoid having bath in the room if you can - use the spa.
Would definitely come back here

Room Tip: ask for higher floor and avoid rooms that face the mosque
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel (SPG by Marriott International), responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear EUTAMA

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable expereince.

I apprecaite your feedbck on our butler services, this is certianly soemthing that will be followed up on to ensure that requests such as this are handled more effectively in future.

Please let me know when you plan on returning and will be delighted to assist you with your booking.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel one recent weekend, and also have interacted a bit with their sales department. This could be a great hotel but needs work, particularly on the service end of things.

Positives:
The rooms are large, modern, and comfortable, more so than the Grand Hyatt, which is essentially next door and considered one of Jakarta’s premier hotels. And it is very near Plaza Indonesia and Grand Indonesia, which are two of the finer shopping malls in Jakarta which also have a wide range of restaurants, movie theaters, and so forth.

The food provided to Platinum members during happy hour was better than the norm and the breakfast was also very good. This is all provided in their restaurant as there is no dedicated lounge for SPG elite members.

There are some notable deficiencies:
There are only two elevators serving the hotel and this can lead to long waits.

Although generally quiet, I was bothered one day by some very loud music from the next room (when I complained, the hotel did take care of the problem). Whether this noise reflected primarily a lack of soundproofing or instead mega loud music played by my neighbor was unclear.

I had a number of problems with the internet in my room. Luckily, my stay was during the weekend so this did not interfere too much with my business. When I moved to the Grand Hyatt after my Keraton stay, the internet problems disappeared (meaning the issue was not my computer).

As a Starwood Platinum member, I was entitled to free drinks and some food during the evening happy hour, which began at 5 pm. I arrived in the restaurant 5 pm my first day and was the first customer. There were numerous staff, including waiters, cooks, and at least one bartender present. Nonetheless, it took them LITERALLY TWENTY MINUTES to bring me a martini after I ordered it. This poor service was really not acceptable from a hotel that brands itself “luxury,” nor would it be from a run-of-the-mill hotel. To be fair, the service at the restaurant improved a bit the next day although I still had the impression the staff there were disorganized and poorly trained.

I considered the service fail part of a larger problem that frankly seems to occur way too often at Starwood properties. When I checked in recently at the Keraton I mentioned that more than a year earlier I requested a corporate rate contract and was given rates and terms that were unrealistic, maybe even a bit insulting. Moreover, at that time I had been told the hotel was not going to give any room upgrades to Platinum members, a policy that apparently has since been changed perhaps because it blatantly violated SPG rules, something I had earlier complained to SPG corporate about (they now upgrade Platinums to junior suites assuming availability).
After I told them they lost potential business well in excess of 100 room nights as a result of their earlier fail, they asked whether I wanted to have their sales people contact me again. I replied it would be better to wait until I had been at the hotel one or two days so I could determine whether I preferred it to the Hyatt, which had since become my regular hotel in Jakarta. A well-trained staff member would have followed up after the day or so had passed; in fact, I did not hear from them again about this. This pattern is all the more curious given when I first asked them about a corporate contract (a year and a half ago) the sales manager told me they really needed more guests, and from what I gather this is still the case.

Indeed, while the staff at the Grand Hyatt seemed almost like family from the start, one gets the opposite impression at the Keraton.

When it opened, the Keraton apparently had illusions it could price itself above-market by using the “luxury” tag. Since then it seems its prices have fallen, although there is variability from week to week. To the extent one can get a room there on a short stay for $250 to $300, it may be worth considering. Above that it is overpriced, particularly given they seem to be struggling to provide the luxury they promise and instead provide, at least based on my limited experiences there, typical mediocre Starwood service.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Jay K

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you had some positive experiences during your stay but concerned to hear the challenegs that you faced.

Our aim is to exceed our guests expectations at all times and I am sorry that we have failed to do this. I will certianly be addressing the points that you have made with the department heads concerned to ensure that we imporve the level of service that we provide.

For all of our loyal SPG members we always ensure that that you receive all of the benefits to which you are entitled under the program guidelines.

Please do let me know when you return to Jakarta and I will be delighted to meet with you and discuss the concerns you have raised and reassure you of the levels of service that we are able to provide to our guests.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I have had the pleasure of living in this hotel for 2 months....Yes 2 months and everything about this place is a step up. The personnel are super friendly and the room itself is luxurious. The concierge does everything from shining boots and shoes everyday to running to the mall and buying air time for my phone. I don't have to move a muscle. The food is delicious with the buffet style for breakfast. Granted it is pricey $250 US dollars per night. The only knock i can find about this hotel is the business center has no computers. But Wi-Fi is free.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Giles S, General Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel (SPG by Marriott International), responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear DSol77

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed living with us and that the team delivered the levels of personal service that you would expect in a Luxury hotel.

We do have 2 Mac's available for guest use so I am sorry that the team did not point this out to you. This is certianly soemthing that I will follow up on for future.

Please let me know when you are back in Jakarta. We look forward to wecloming you back again soon.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

This is the best hotel that I had ever stayed so far. The hotel staffs personalized my stay as special guest, I felt so warm of their caring-ness. Basically, the hotel staffs will take care everything for you form the time you step in to the hotel until you check out.

Room Tip: Give it a try.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear EdH76

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am delighted to here that we are the best hotel you have stayed in. This is extremely rewarding for the team to here as we work hard to ensure that you receive the kind of personal service that you enjoyed so much.

Please let me me know when you plan on retuning and I will be delighted to assist you with your booking.