“AKA Ghost Island”
Review of Pulau Hantu

Pulau Hantu
Ranked #379 of 837 things to do in Singapore
More attraction details
Owner description: A tiny picturesque island located off the south of Singapore, Pulau Hantu is home to lagoons, sheltered beaches and beautiful water, making it a popular haunt for fishing, swimming, snorkelling and scuba diving.
Reviewed 12 August 2015

Was there with a couple of friends and family in June 2015. First time there and I really don't think I have a lot of things to say about the island (Some might think this is exactly the point of an idyllic island). Herewith in point form:
- the boat ride from West Coast Pier is a little of 2 extremes: we were transformed from the world of commerce what with the container terminals, view of the CBD, Jurong Island and other industrial areas to an idyllic island found south of the Singapore mainland.
- Upon disembarkation from the launch, we were greeted by a low tide. The lagoon itself literally is sucked of any water. Can't help it since its the act of Nature, but I observed that the seabed is full of rocks and some debris like discarded bottles and styrofoam boxes. Note there are two lagoons on the island and the one I am referring to is the one that faces Pulau Bukom Shell Refinery.
- Rubbish bins does not seem to have been cleared for a few days. The trash bags bore marks of scavenging by the lone resident macaque.
- Toilet facilities are not satisfactory: shower heads not working properly for a decent shower, water pressure is weak like a baby pissing.
- Waters are not clear at all - that day when I was there, visibility is probably a mere 1.0m tops.
- Ideal for a day excursion if you wanna get away from the city life for a couple of hours but nothing more.

Conclusion: Would not head there again

Reviewed 22 November 2014

I've dived at Pulau Hantu maybe 10 times in total. Visibility typically ranges from zero up to a best ever of about 5m, but is usually in the 2m-3m range. As such it's recommended to dive with a torch. On the worst day I couldn't even read my dive computer whilst shining my torch on it! But hey, it's good for when you need to get your diving fix and can't leave the country.

Reviewed 12 November 2014 via mobile

I've heard much of diving in Pulau Hantu & the comments I gotten was "Aye bro, don't waste your time its like diving in chocolate milky water".
It's until last weekend that I was invited to make a day trip dive there with a local dive center that change my mind, it's actually an interesting dive site with surprisingly growing corals, little critters all over, from nudibranches, to morale eels, to clown fishes & the group even spotted a large turtle.
If you're into macro this is definitely a place you'd want to try out, 1/2 a day or even a day trip will be sufficient to quench your thirst for compress air over the weekend. I'll definitely return for more.

1  Thank Wayne T