“unpretentious and authentic food with a good vibe”
Review of Wok & Barrel - CLOSED

Wok & Barrel
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I visited Singapore and stayed with my Singaporean friend who recommended Wok and Barrel because it's one of the few places she knows of that serves actual Singaporean food (whatever that is conceptualized as). Walking into this place, I didn't really know what to think, since it looks kind of like a bare-boned and white-washed McDonald's -- there wasn't much personality to the place. But don't let the looks fool you!

The menu is expansive, with many choices. My friend and I tried a range of food, from the coconut rice to some beef and pork dishes, as well as the fried chicken. We did not expect the portion sizes to be so large, so we definitely over-ordered! The dishes were all tasty, but the fried chili soft-shlled crab was my favorite -- though I didn't like all the chili paste just dumped on top of the crab like that, but I'm not sure if that's the "style" of how you make this dish.

Overall, I would recommend Wok and Barrel for some different flavors while in Singapore. It's tucked near Neil Street by a bunch of tapas places, so this restaurant is a good jumping off point for going to some bars after dinner. We were here on a Saturday night and the kitchen did a last call at around 940pm, so this clearly is not a late place to go out...

Reviewed 2 July 2012

Highly, highly recommend the nasi lemak at Wok & Barrel. It comes with either pork or mutton or curry chicken but my personal fave (and it will be hard to get me to order any other) is the beef rendang. Comes with 2 different types of chilli which is lovely. I also highly recommend the otak otak. The fish paste and chilli is awesome and I always end up ordering takeaways. Excellent for lunch and for dinner its a nice place to go hideout for a good dinner with friends. Been several times, very few places get a return visit from me but this is one that will.

Reviewed 11 May 2012

A no fuss eatery that focuses not on ambience but on the quality and taste of their food.

The Nasi Lemak (rice cooked with coconut milk) is fragrant and it goes so well with the choice of dishes that include crispy pork, beef rendang, mutton, etc, etc.

Good value as the prices are extremely reasonable.

I was there for lunch only but am told I must return for dinner as they have many more interesting options like Softshell Chilli Crab amongst others.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

The Wok and Barrel serves traditional hawker food, souped up to justify a higher price, along with a selection of international beers and ciders. (I had a Swedish berry cider which was the girliest, pinkest drink I've had in ages.)

The beef rendang is very, very good; the Asian coleslaw less so - not very flavourful. The pizza, on the other hand, although not a hawker centre staple, was faultless: delicious, just-chewy-enough crust and a fantastic tomato sauce.

Staff were efficient, friendly and just seemed genuinely happy; the chef came over to see if we were enjoying our food because he wanted to, not because he was following a script. The only downsides were: a) they'd run out of honeycomb cheesecake and b) it's rather noisy inside: no carpet and hard walls means the echoes go like crazy - if you don't like that, call and reserve one of the outside tables. And do not, repeat, do not skip dessert!

Reviewed 16 December 2011

A friend recommended we eat here on a recent trip to Singapore; and we were very happy we went. It’s located in a charming area of Duxton Hill, at the end of a row of shophouses. It’s a simple restaurant with some seating outside, and since it was a lovey night, we sat there. But some insect repellent may be in order. Now, about the food. It was great – excuse not having the exact names of dishes. I had the Beef Rendang with a side of rice. Great flavor, tender meat, rich sauce and not to spicy. The rice was a nice surprise. Not sure what they did, but it had a delightful flavor on its own. My friend had the beef noodle soup and she was very happy. Very flavorful and tender meat. My other friend had beef pasta dish, that I tasted, and we both agreed, it as the best of all the dishes at the table. It was very spicy, so if I were to reorder, I would ask for it milder. One friend is a beer lover and was very pleased with variety of specialty beers they had. Dessert was also very good – tough to choose, but we all like the cracked banana parfait and coconut ice cream and pudding. Given it’s Singapore, the meal was reasonably priced. Now for the service – excellent: knowledgeable, welcoming, efficient, friendly. Highly recommend lunch, dinner, or just dessert and coffee.