“Hawker food has never been better tasting or priced!!”
Review of Wok & Barrel - CLOSED

Wok & Barrel
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 8 November 2012

First and foremost believe the hype that you may read in other reviews -congrats to Chen tan on a Creative menu that should have something for everyone. The rendang pizza seems to always be mentioned in other reviews and with some trepidation we ordered this menu item and I am glad to say this was one of the highlights of our trip to Singapore. Also not to be missed are the deep fry’d Chicken and Pork ,please don’t let the term deep-fry’d put you off as these items need to be experienced, also the Nasi Lemak Rice is a must try also . The décor is to a minimal but the food speaks volumes for itself.

Reviewed 2 November 2012

Wok and Barrel is a concept that appeals to me too much to write an unbiased review, but I'll try. I say that because there are very few places that serve very well made hawker food with a very good beer list, including Jungle Beer draught, at reasonable prices, and with creative, surprising, delicious menu items. Everything I've ever eaten at Wok & Barrel has been delicious, the nasi lemak rice is memorably fantastic and the variety of chilli sauces likely to come with your meal are a very nice addition. go here for the beer and food.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

delicious beef rendang that even I can eat (ie not too spicy) and nasi lemak. Good drink choice too. And perfect location and friendly service. One of my usual hangouts for a very reasonable price.

Reviewed 30 September 2012

I visited Singapore and stayed with my Singaporean friend who recommended Wok and Barrel because it's one of the few places she knows of that serves actual Singaporean food (whatever that is conceptualized as). Walking into this place, I didn't really know what to think, since it looks kind of like a bare-boned and white-washed McDonald's -- there wasn't much personality to the place. But don't let the looks fool you!

The menu is expansive, with many choices. My friend and I tried a range of food, from the coconut rice to some beef and pork dishes, as well as the fried chicken. We did not expect the portion sizes to be so large, so we definitely over-ordered! The dishes were all tasty, but the fried chili soft-shlled crab was my favorite -- though I didn't like all the chili paste just dumped on top of the crab like that, but I'm not sure if that's the "style" of how you make this dish.

Overall, I would recommend Wok and Barrel for some different flavors while in Singapore. It's tucked near Neil Street by a bunch of tapas places, so this restaurant is a good jumping off point for going to some bars after dinner. We were here on a Saturday night and the kitchen did a last call at around 940pm, so this clearly is not a late place to go out...

Reviewed 2 July 2012

Highly, highly recommend the nasi lemak at Wok & Barrel. It comes with either pork or mutton or curry chicken but my personal fave (and it will be hard to get me to order any other) is the beef rendang. Comes with 2 different types of chilli which is lovely. I also highly recommend the otak otak. The fish paste and chilli is awesome and I always end up ordering takeaways. Excellent for lunch and for dinner its a nice place to go hideout for a good dinner with friends. Been several times, very few places get a return visit from me but this is one that will.